Traded Blake Acres

Remove this Banner Ad

Reasonable return for the lad in his 3rd game of the year

13138798_10153828205498183_4498864285077951339_n.jpg

21 touches on the weekend was really impressive from Acres.
Starting to really become a player.
Don't think he'll be the contested beast that some say he will I'd say more outside even if his dimensions lean towards inside game

Acres does seem to be able to get a kick or handpass away while being tackled.
Seems to me some never get to that level even after years in the system.
Smooth mover and decent disposal.
Competitive beast? Reserve my judgement.
Worth persisting with? Hell yeah.

Only issue I see to date is he thinks he's got more time than he really has. Dispose quicker or develop a twinkletoes Gresh sidestep.

Well he's playing as a winger ATM so his stats would be more skewed towards uncontested ball but once he moves into the guts it will be Much more even
Don't think he'll be the contested beast that some say he will I'd say more outside even if his dimensions lean towards inside game[/QUOTE

Lol, Pendles. FYFECRES.
the only thing fyfe has in common is he's played a bit of footy in WA.

the scrub wishes he had Acres hands

Don't think he'll be the contested beast that some say he will I'd say more outside even if his dimensions lean towards inside game

He got 10 contested against the roo's and 11 against carlton.
He probably won't be a 20cp beast, but he gets more than an insider such as Minchington.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Has really improvoed in the last month with some contnuity against some decent teams as well. Has performed when we have been poor. Really starting to show his marking in games. Also his disposal is also improving weekly. He is now backing himself with his kicking and handball as oppose to hesistating. In addition he is starting to use his size a lot more in the contest.That shrug off ziebell was outstanding. Whilst he dosn't always get away with it at least he trying to take them on becausein time he will be impossible to tackle. Very creative and capable of taking risk going through the corridor. Interstingly he ranks very high for metres gained for us, which to me shows that he has improved his run but also that he is not just getting cheap disposals, or going sideways. This probably explains why he seems to have such a big impact on games even with not many disposals. Lastly he has shown a ball winning dominance that no other player I've seen come through in the last 7 years have. More so then Billings, Dunstan, Ross, gresh, Newnes, Steven and Armitage at such a young age (24 games) he has been able to get double digit number of disposals in a quater. Off the top of my head Brisbane last year 10 in the first, Port earlier this year (11 in abut 13 minutes), BTW that is correct i timed it, Carlton 11 in the first quater and I'm pretty sure here's been more. In short once he's in the guts you'ld think this will only get better scary to think but, once he gets to that 30 disposals mark for the first time I can see him getting 40 disposals a game. He will shoot up the list of 2013 draftees quickly.

4th game in a row with more than 20 touches for Blacres and he's starting to look like he belongs.

Great article on Roo working with him here, some funny quotes from Richo as well.

Emerging St Kilda wingman Blake Acres says the guidance of skipper Nick Riewoldt has helped him play consistent football in the past month.

The 20-year-old sat down with the Saints' champion about four weeks ago to watch vision together and tap into his experience.

Acres also made sure he watched vision of Riewoldt to get a sense of the veteran's tireless running and where he positions himself during games.

On Saturday, Acres showed once again that he was reaping the benefits of the tuition with 26 disposals, seven tackles and five inside 50s.

"It's been a lot easier working with him and being able to watch what he does helps me a lot too," Acres told AFL.com.au.

Playing just his 25th game, the 19th selection in the 2013 NAB AFL Draft broke the lines and took calculated risks to move the ball forward quickly.

A lover of the long wide handball, he likes to run in curves as though he's crossing a river on a fallen log, but the style helps him find space.

"He [Riewoldt] just tells me to keep taking the game on. Everyone does on the team [as] everyone works together, which is good," Acres said.

http://www.saints.com.au/news/2016-08-22/young-saint-taken-under-the-wing-of-riewoldt

Hey all,

Made some highlights videos for last season and will be doing more for 2016. Have done the hard part of accumulating enough clips for quite a few players now so it should be relatively smooth sailing from here.

You can go here to subscribe to my youtube channel if you like, it would be much appreciated: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwlfLRnEgIdb_bnsm9YtURw

Blake Acres

Last edited by a moderator:
I might get shouted down by both St Kilda supporters and CCarlton supporters for saying this but I believe that Blake Acres will in the next 5 years either equal or take over Patrick Cripps as a player heres why.

1.Ball dominance-At this stage Cripps is a superior inside midfielder who can rack up disposals and clearances at will. Blake has already demonstrated that he can be a dominant ball winner. On multiple occasion he has been able to gather double digit disposals in just a single a quarter. With more games under his belt and more time on the wing/inside he should be able to consistently get over 30 touches. Additoinally Blake is able to win more ball on the outside. I'm not sure on the numbers but i would be almost certain that Blake has had more handball recieves thnen Cripps. This highlights a few differences that point towards Blake. He is one to take the game on, from a running point of view where as I think even the most one eyed Carlton supporters would agree that Cripps very rarely gets any outside ball. Therefore I think Blke has a more rounded ball wining game. By being able to create run he is able to be more damaging with his disposal eg run down the middle of Etihad where he hit up Roey.

2. Hands in the contest- Both cripps and Acres are extremely strong in the contest and always able to get hands away. They are probably at an equal level on this aspect.

3. Marking hands- Whilst Cripps is no slouch in terms of his contested marking, Blake by the end of his career will be known as an elite Mark for his size. This aspect of Blake's game definitely became more prominent towards the end of the season. However a gets more confident and more accustomed to using his body which he already has he will only get better. Also he will be able to fly more as opposed to having the ball popped on his head.

4. Athleticism/Speed- Acres even though he has been described as 'treacle slow' at his top speed is surprisingly quick. Also if he is treacle slow, I don't know what Cripps is. The reason Acres seems slow is because he thinking his way through the contest, (Pedlebury) as oppose to just bursting his way through(Dangerfield, Sheuy). however it is not to say he can't use his speed. I think this is a area that started to develop towards the end of the year as well. I think Blake is starting to be better and deciding when to really run fast or work his way through. For isnatnce the 2 of the 3 centre clearances on Sunday especially the one on the week end to Rooey where he just broke away from the circle was him using his space. The reality is that because both Cripps and Acres cn shrug tackles so easily, the need for speed is not as important. However i think because Acres can use his when he needs to, he has an advantage over Cripps.

5.Ball Use-Even though Acre's kicking has started off shaky and been a little inconstant I thnk at his best he is more dmaging wth both his kicking and hands. Firstly often Cripps looks to handball, undertsnaibyly becuase he is in the contest. Altetnlively, Acres, especially when kicking always looks for the best option. For instance against North the play was moving to wards the wing and when he got the ball, he stopped assesed and found Reiwoldt 60 out directly in front. This is a key reason I think he will better his kicking is just more damaging.

6. Versatility-Cripps has shown that he will be able to be a strong inside mid/damaging half forward Acres can litrelly play anywhere ont he ground. Due to his running we have seen him on occasion move across half back on move the ball from there up the ground. Against Syndey he almost kicked 4 goals in 10 minutes and once he starts to ocnvert these chances on the run wow whatch out.

Ulitmately give him a few years bu I think whilst Cripps seems to be more dominant Acres is more dmaging and more rounded.

I might get shouted down by both St Kilda supporters and CCarlton supporters for saying this but I believe that Blake Acres will in the next 5 years either equal or take over Patrick Cripps as a player heres why.

1.Ball dominance-At this stage Cripps is a superior inside midfielder who can rack up disposals and clearances at will. Blake has already demonstrated that he can be a dominant ball winner. On multiple occasion he has been able to gather double digit disposals in just a single a quarter. With more games under his belt and more time on the wing/inside he should be able to consistently get over 30 touches. Additoinally Blake is able to win more ball on the outside. I'm not sure on the numbers but i would be almost certain that Blake has had more handball recieves thnen Cripps. This highlights a few differences that point towards Blake. He is one to take the game on, from a running point of view where as I think even the most one eyed Carlton supporters would agree that Cripps very rarely gets any outside ball. Therefore I think Blke has a more rounded ball wining game. By being able to create run he is able to be more damaging with his disposal eg run down the middle of Etihad where he hit up Roey.

2. Hands in the contest- Both cripps and Acres are extremely strong in the contest and always able to get hands away. They are probably at an equal level on this aspect.

3. Marking hands- Whilst Cripps is no slouch in terms of his contested marking, Blake by the end of his career will be known as an elite Mark for his size. This aspect of Blake's game definitely became more prominent towards the end of the season. However a gets more confident and more accustomed to using his body which he already has he will only get better. Also he will be able to fly more as opposed to having the ball popped on his head.

4. Athleticism/Speed- Acres even though he has been described as 'treacle slow' at his top speed is surprisingly quick. Also if he is treacle slow, I don't know what Cripps is. The reason Acres seems slow is because he thinking his way through the contest, (Pedlebury) as oppose to just bursting his way through(Dangerfield, Sheuy). however it is not to say he can't use his speed. I think this is a area that started to develop towards the end of the year as well. I think Blake is starting to be better and deciding when to really run fast or work his way through. For isnatnce the 2 of the 3 centre clearances on Sunday especially the one on the week end to Rooey where he just broke away from the circle was him using his space. The reality is that because both Cripps and Acres cn shrug tackles so easily, the need for speed is not as important. However i think because Acres can use his when he needs to, he has an advantage over Cripps.

5.Ball Use-Even though Acre's kicking has started off shaky and been a little inconstant I thnk at his best he is more dmaging wth both his kicking and hands. Firstly often Cripps looks to handball, undertsnaibyly becuase he is in the contest. Altetnlively, Acres, especially when kicking always looks for the best option. For instance against North the play was moving to wards the wing and when he got the ball, he stopped assesed and found Reiwoldt 60 out directly in front. This is a key reason I think he will better his kicking is just more damaging.

6. Versatility-Cripps has shown that he will be able to be a strong inside mid/damaging half forward Acres can litrelly play anywhere ont he ground. Due to his running we have seen him on occasion move across half back on move the ball from there up the ground. Against Syndey he almost kicked 4 goals in 10 minutes and once he starts to ocnvert these chances on the run wow whatch out.

Ulitmately give him a few years bu I think whilst Cripps seems to be more dominant Acres is more dmaging and more rounded.

I wouldn't compare the two.
Very early on Cripps proved he was a contested ball winning clearance beast.
I don't think that's what Acres is.
I'd love to have Cripps feeding the ball to Acres.

Blake Acres
It was a season of two for Blake

Part A 1-12
Acres started the season with many believing he had played his best game for the club against Port Adelaide getting 22 disposals including 11 in 13 minutes only to be dropped for the next week. However it was the first time that Blake had actually shown an ability to dominate patches in games for the first time. However he also showed that he was still incosistant and missing at times of importance.

In round 6 against Melbourne Blake again showed an abiloty to dominate and with 28 dsosals and two goals was nominated for a risin star award. Again he showed what he is capable of with a little more midfield time.

However only 3 weeks later he was again dropped

His first half of the season was full of flashes of brilliance and inconstancy

Part B round 12-23

Whilst Acres was slower to get going in the second half of the season a reported new relatoinship with Nick Riewoldt boar fruit for the hardwork Blake was putting in. His games aginst Geelong, carlton, Sydney North Melbourne, Richmond and Brsibane all highlighted his ability to dominate games. In addition his kicking and pressure acts improved.

Blake was als regulalry getting in the top few pplayers in the game for metres gained which in conjunction with his improved disposal efficency shows how damaging Blake is with his disposal when given time. Another eleent of his play that became evident was his ability to shrug off tackles and whilst often he looked laconic and able to move through space with ease when the tackle did come he showed he was strong enough to not let the tackle stick.

Ultimately many at the start of the year had hoped Blake would be best 22 by the end of the year. On that ground his season was a resouding sucess. He has still only played 24 games and by 50 I expect his kicking and disposal in general to improved. By 100 games this is a big call but i expect him to be top 20 in the comp.

Next season i think there will still be some inconsistency here and there although his end to the season has set him up well for hopefully a big 2017. If what we found out about Blake this year was his ability to dominate games and his shrigging of takles I think we will see his contested ball wining ability and his marking this year really come to the fore.

Patience is still required but every week more and more Blake is showing glimpses and patches of the player he will be..

Just looking at the photos and stuff coming out of the club, Blake is in everything! Has a huge vibe about him at the moment. I'm predicting a MASSIVE breakout year next year.

Acres could be as good as Fyfe?

As SS pointed out before I don't think Acres is a contested beast on the level of Fyfe or Cripps who get around 14 contested possessions a game, but he doesn't have to be. In the last five games of the season he averaged around 8 contested possessions a game, if he can up that to around 10-11 while still picking up plenty of outside that still makes him a very good midfielder.

For comparison guys like Shiel and Ward average 10 and 11 contested possessions a game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back