Opinion Breakaway Discussion - Discrimination & Political Correctness

Remove this Banner Ad

With this women's league, what will they be wearing? Same shorts/jumpers as the men?

Just wondering if they wore something similar to the women's basketballers if it would get some more interest from a male audience, in the same way that some women get more enjoyment out of the current tight shorts and sleeveless shirts, my mrs included (I swear she's called me Lenny (Hayes) before in a moment of passion).

Not saying take it to the level of the lingerie football league stuff where the credibity goes out of the game.
Obviously you've never seen me in my footy gear... One glimpse and you'll quickly reassess your theory...

2 daughters clique. Add me to the list.

For some reason, TFD, I expected you to join bigfooty, make one post, get misquoted and then pledge to stay out of the spotlight and only post again once every five or six years...

I like a contest and if it is the pinnacle of that sport, even better. So a women's league will be the pinnacle of the sport ... for women. When they start playing a full season and a full finals series and sponsors start getting on board, the quality will improve (not that there isn't already some quality there).

I have been watching a bit of the W-League lately. They are in the midst of their finals. I realised I don't have to see the best skills that you might find in the EPL, I just have to see a contest, heart, passion. It feels less slick and more grass roots and I can't look away.

If the AFL Women's League is televised, I will watch it every week. I would love to see a Carlton team in that comp. Double the pleasure (or pain).

Couldn't agree more with your W League comments ODN, the City vs Roar games yesterday was fantastic and great theatre in the end.

2 daughters clique. Add me to the list.
A close mate of mine has four daughters. They're obviously his life and he's an amazing dad. But he was contemplating one more go at a son. I felt for him and gave him a full proof plan for a boy... I said to him, throw out all your bed linen and replace it with the highest quality new Egyptian fine thread silk linen money can buy. Send your partner to an all day spa where she can be pampered, relaxed and refreshed completely. Buy her some brand new, exotic silk and lace lingerie. Play a little Barry White in the background, light some subtle vanilla candles for a peaceful, calming ambience. Present her with some incredibly expensive classy perfume. Arrange some French champagne and chocolate covered strawberries served with fresh King island double thick cream, all on a silver platter by the bed. Softly whisper that she should prepare for the most romantic, passionate and enthralling night of her life..... Then leave the house and call me !

Spot on, Batty. Not to mention the games themselves have surprisingly agile, athletic, skillful players. Surprising cause I ain't seen this stuff before.

It was good viewing, for sure. Problem initially is depth of quality. Could see footy trying to poach players from other sports such as fringe netballers etc, Imagine getting a Eloise Southby running around in Carlton colours, though she's probably past it at 39, things like this would generate a heap of interest and might help fill the talent void.

Anyway, it's the next frontier for the game, it's going to take some doing and some patience as the standards build. I called this one years ago and I'm glad to see it going ahead.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Couldn't agree more with your W League comments ODN, the City vs Roar games yesterday was fantastic and great theatre in the end.

Was excellent. The finishing was off but the pressure was high. Brisbane out on their feet and outgunned but defended to the death. I'm not worried about skills when you have commitment like that. Same reason I don't mind a scrappy game between two bottom clubs. The desire to win is still there.

Not sure how far the talent pool would stretch in a full league. But from the games I've seen, these girls don't need gimmicks. I thought the standard of footy was amazing. The hits, the high marking, the goals, the pace, the tackling, the skills, even some verbal. I know it's only been basically a two team comp to this point, but the quality of footy for mine has been excellent.
Personally I wouldn't view it as a "women's league", I'd see it as more games of footy to watch on a weekend (nine really isn't enough for me) so I say bring it...

Female fans are AFL’s secret weapon in drawing crowds

Here you go. A current break-up and not the 2004 article you're using.

So it's 3:2 and not 3:1. Out by this much|..............................................................................................................| :)
I looked up three different sources, all of which said women are approx 40% of the audience. Thy didn't post it.

Was excellent. The finishing was off but the pressure was high. Brisbane out on their feet and outgunned but defended to the death. I'm not worried about skills when you have commitment like that. Same reason I don't mind a scrappy game between two bottom clubs. The desire to win is still there.

I enjoy the vulnerability, innocence and rawness of it. These girls are basically playing the game for the love of it as opposed to A League or AFL players on huge pay packets and having the world fawn at their feet. They are passionate and appreciative of the opportunity to play. They are not afraid to be honest which is lost in the men's game. In the penalty shoot out you could see some of the girls were scared and they said one didn't want to take the shot. The false bravado in the men's game would dictate that is a sign of weakness but in my opinion any person in that situation would be scared of missing and for me it was extremely refreshing.

A) I would trust stat collection methodologies from people paid to do it over anecdotal assessment

B) I wonder why women haven't played before. Something about sexism, gender roles, social pressure, institutional constraints etc.

C) Setting up a women's league is like setting up a whole new competition. Don't expect the immediate standard to reflect the standard it will become.

Went to the A League game in Geelong recently and the lack of women was so noticeable I commented on it to my mate.
One in ten at best.

Disagree with this. I go to a lot of A League games (City not Victory) and I find it is a very family friendly vibe. A lot of families with both husband, wife and kids.

I enjoy the vulnerability, innocence and rawness of it. These girls are basically playing the game for the love of it as opposed to A League or AFL players on huge pay packets and having the world fawn at their feet. They are passionate and appreciative of the opportunity to play. They are not afraid to be honest which is lost in the men's game. In the penalty shoot out you could see some of the girls were scared and they said one didn't want to take the shot. The false bravado in the men's game would dictate that is a sign of weakness but in my opinion any person in that situation would be scared of missing and for me it was extremely refreshing.
I don't think it's being pedantic to seek equality in describing the players. I almost blow a whoofer valve every time I hear that blokey bogan Maher describe even an international medal-winning women's team as "the girls". I deadset fume.

I don't think it's being pedantic to seek equality in describing the players. I almost blow a whoofer valve every time I hear that blokey bogan Maher describe even an international medal-winning women's team as "the girls". I deadset fume.

Mate sorry if I upset you with the term, it was not meant as being disparaging. A lot of the players are only 16 years old so in my opinion and given my age they are young girls. Please don't let that detract from the point I was making.

No biggie, fella. I get the age thing. Inequality is still everywhere and sometimes we need to make a definite effort to get the terminology right. When male commentators who should know better continually get it wrong it is just another indication of the blokey constraints a lot of women's sports struggle to break free from. I love you mate.......

Remove this Banner Ad

Back