Broken Forearm Recovery

Remove this Banner Ad

Punt_Road_Roar

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 10, 2004
Melbourne VIC
AFL Club
Richmond
My 4 yo son broke his ulna and dislocated his radius about 4 weeks ago now, but just yesterday he went back to the docs and they did any xray and everything was perfect so he now no longer has to wear a cast.

I noticed today that he has very limited strength in his hand, struggles to give a thumbs up and his wrist is very limp. I have never broken a bone in my life and not sure if this is normal for a young boy 1 day out of having the cast removed?

Has anyone here broke their arm or know something about recovery times when the cast comes off?

My 4 yo son broke his ulna and dislocated his radius about 4 weeks ago now, but just yesterday he went back to the docs and they did any xray and everything was perfect so he now no longer has to wear a cast.

I noticed today that he has very limited strength in his hand, struggles to give a thumbs up and his wrist is very limp. I have never broken a bone in my life and not sure if this is normal for a young boy 1 day out of having the cast removed?

Has anyone here broke their arm or know something about recovery times when the cast comes off?

Seem he is so young & what I've learnt doing cert 4 in fitness, If he has lost strength in his hand, Buy a stress ball and get him to squeeze it and that will help regain strength in the areas and will help restore it back to what it was after a few weeks of doing it daily or any light hand exercise will see benefits.

I noticed today that he has very limited strength in his hand, struggles to give a thumbs up and his wrist is very limp.

If i was you i would get the doctor to check his strength because your son might need to see a Occupational Therapist for Rehabilitation

If the cast immobilised his wrist and hand he wouldn't have used those muscles in a month. I'd give him a few days to see if the strength comes back.

Thanks for the replies, he had a full cast on so I am hoping its just his muscles being very weak. I have booked him back in to see the Doc on Monday just in case.

Just freaked me out a bit last night when he couldnt hold his thumb up and it was all limp.

Don't sweat it mate, my 13 year old dislocated his elbow when he was 2. Took about 4 weeks before he was hanging off the swingset and throwing stuff around again.
If he's in no pain then he's fine.

Thanks for the replies, he had a full cast on so I am hoping its just his muscles being very weak. I have booked him back in to see the Doc on Monday just in case.

Hope all goes well for your son. Having had a full cast for a similar injury a few years back...I had to visit the physio for quite a few sessions after the cast came off to regain the full mobility back due to muscles being a bit weak. A child will heal much quicker. :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back