Callum Mills Deception

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 8, 2004
Woodside
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Eagles(SANFL)
I am creating a new topic for this as it is a different angle to just blaming the goal umpire and accepting a mistake. I haven't heard any mainstream media talk about it, nor have the AFL investigated despite the goal umpire claiming he made his decision on the sound and vision. A few people have mentioned it in the other thread, but it gets lost in everything else.

In my opinion, Callum Mills slapped the post as the ball went past to make the umpire think the ball had touched the post. You can see it well in the video here when they slow down the replay at the 25 second mark: ‘Robbed’ or ‘gutsy’ call? AFL world erupts after contentious point... but Crows coach all class

In the AFL press conference Gill said the goal umpire believed there was “a clear noise and a clear deflection”, but on review “that wasn’t right”.

The only sound he could've heard was Mills slapping the goal post at the exact same time the ball went past. You can see on the replay the indent of Mills hand on the padding. I have seen this tried in games before - it's never worked though. If this is what Mills has done, and I think it is. He has breached the AFL Law 18.12

18.12 INTENTIONALLY SHAKING, CLIMBING OR OTHERWISE INTERFERING WITH A GOAL POST OR BEHIND POST
18.12.1 Free Kicks – Intentionally Shaking, Climbing or Otherwise Interfering with a Goal Post or Behind Post
Unless Law 18.12.3 applies, a field Umpire shall award a Free Kick against a Player or Official who intentionally shakes, climbs or otherwise interferes with a goal or behind post (either before or after a Player has disposed of the football).

The AFL have hung the goal umpire out to dry with this. Yes, he should have called for the review, but I think he was deceived by Mills slap of the goal post. What else could've he possibly heard? It is not difficult to be deceived by sight, especially with the position the goal umpire was in.

This is not about whether the goal umpire should have reviewed or not. Of course he should've.

My questions are:

Was Mills slapping the goal post the sound the umpire heard that influenced his decision?

Did Mills slap the goal post deliberately and if so, does he break the above rule/law of the game?

If he has broken the rule/law and that has played a part in the umpire making the incorrect decision, do the Crows have a legal angle to go with and does Mills have a case to answer?

Nah clutching at straws on this one imo. Had his eyes on the ball the whole time, incidental stabilizing contact with the pad as he's jumping to spoil.

Was it deliberate? Maybe, but it looks more just like a way to know where the post is as he's jumping.

Was it the sound Bozo heard? Probably.

Should Bozo have known the difference between hand slapping padding and leather slapping metal? Probably.

The rule is there for the deliberate post affecting moves, I don't think you can put incidental contact in that.

Last edited:

Even if it is a non-deliberate act by Mills, it is “otherwise interfering with a goal post”. There was no opposition near him. There was no necessity to touch the post.

The goal umpire makes judgement on sight and sound. It is understandable that sight can be deceiving. If he hears a sound (Mills hand on post) at that precise moment, then that has contributed to his decision to award a point.

What is at stake here is the goal umpires career and the finals aspirations of the Crows and possibly other clubs.

If the rule/law has been broken and that has contributed, then surely that has to be looked into further?

Mills could go from here to hold the premiership cup up on Grand Final day. If it is his actions that have contributed to the sacking of the goal umpire and the outcome of another clubs season as a result, that is an injustice.

I believe the result should be declared void and a replay scheduled on the bye of the finals. Whether that replay is the last 70 seconds, or a full game, let that be up for negotiation.

Even if it is a non-deliberate act by Mills, it is “otherwise interfering with a goal post”. There was no opposition near him. There was no necessity to touch the post.

The goal umpire makes judgement on sight and sound. It is understandable that sight can be deceiving. If he hears a sound (Mills hand on post) at that precise moment, then that has contributed to his decision to award a point.

What is at stake here is the goal umpires career and the finals aspirations of the Crows and possibly other clubs.

If the rule/law has been broken and that has contributed, then surely that has to be looked into further?

Mills could go from here to hold the premiership cup up on Grand Final day. If it is his actions that have contributed to the sacking of the goal umpire and the outcome of another clubs season as a result, that is an injustice.

I believe the result should be declared void and a replay scheduled on the bye of the finals. Whether that replay is the last 70 seconds, or a full game, let that be up for negotiation.
I look at that differently, he was clever and although he broke a rule, he got away with it whether intentional or not...clever stuff and it has helped his side get a win. I want my team to be streetsmart like that

Another example the other day was a brisbane player creeping 2 metres over the mark for a mihochek shot at goal from what would have been just inside 50 that was then just outside 50 - the kick was touched on the goal line. The Brisbane player knew he was infringing but the ump never picked up on it - streetsmart. Thats how you win flags

So the whole mills was at fault stuff to me is jumping the wrong shark..it is all on that umpire for not following set protocol in the biggest moment of our season. Its the AFL that need to be brought to account..not the Sydney players

We should definitely sue Callum Mills

I look at that differently, he was clever and although he broke a rule, he got away with it whether intentional or not...clever stuff and it has helped his side get a win. I want my team to be streetsmart like that

Another example the other day was a brisbane player creeping 2 metres over the mark for a mihochek shot at goal from what would have been just inside 50 that was then just outside 50 - the kick was touched on the goal line. The Brisbane player knew he was infringing but the ump never picked up on it - streetsmart. Thats how you win flags

So the whole mills was at fault stuff to me is jumping the wrong shark..it is all on that umpire for not following set protocol in the biggest moment of our season. Its the AFL that need to be brought to account..not the Sydney players
I can see what you’re saying. What about a player who takes a dive to get a free kick?

Fine line between clever and bringing the game into disrepute.

I can see what you’re saying. What about a player who takes a dive to get a free kick?

Fine line between clever and bringing the game into disrepute.
I can also see your position..and this is where umpires need to be umpires and properly and consistently apply the rules..players will always try and bend them, have done forever and will keep doing.

I just dont want ourclub to be tge only one out there still saying please

Remove this Banner Ad

Back