Captaincy underrated?

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 20, 2003
paradise
Other Teams
the best
To some extent a captain is only as good as his team but did last night prove that you need just one strong leader? Sri Lanka looked an indecisive rabble last night with their captain off the field. They frequently had meetings on-field, made decisions, changed them seemed to lose direction. In contrast Gilly adjusted well to the conditions yesterday and marshalled his troops well. The other night even the much maligned Smith seemed to be really on the ball and helped guide the Saffies home. Is the importance of good captaincy, or at least strong leadership a tad underrated?

it was quite funny because some of the channel 9 commentators didn't even know who was acting captain.

vaas was officially the acting captain as he's vice captain of the touring party. you had attapattu (current captain) off the field injured), former captain jayasuriya out injured. former vice captain jayawardene also thru in his two bob's worth, as did an up and coming and probable future captain in sangakkara.

indeed, it was a rabble, but ian chappell had to keep crapping on how confusing it was. he loves all these captaincy discussions. sri lanka can look at it on the other hand and at least say, well these guys are putting up their hands with ideas etc.

Bentleigh said:
Ponting as a captian is underrated.

No in the class of a Waugh or Taylor but a good captain.

I agree not in the class of a Taylor, who was a master of pulling a rabbit out of a hat.

But I actually think he's very similar to Waugh as a captain. Waugh's big deficiency as a captain was he didn't seem to have a plan B (mind you with the team he had at his disposal he often didn't need one). On the few occasion's things went pear shaped I felt that Waugh was prone to letting things drift. the big test for Ponting who has inherited a team in slow but steady decline, is whether he can institute plan b, C or D when required.

Anybody can captain us we are that good. And if a dude like Smith who can't bat for ******** can captain South Africa it shows how unimportant captaincy is. It was the bowlers that got South Africa home not the captain. And last night Clarke and Hussey were just great at the end.

Romeo said:
Anybody can captain us we are that good. And if a dude like Smith who can't bat for ******** can captain South Africa it shows how unimportant captaincy is. It was the bowlers that got South Africa home not the captain. And last night Clarke and Hussey were just great at the end.

Tend to agree. Any captain who has had great bowlers at his disposal generally doesn't have to alter the plan much to win test matches - this would equally apply to Greg Chappell, Viv Richards, Richie Richardson, Steve Waugh and others. I don't apply it to Ian Chappell, Mark Taylor and Clive Lloyd because they built the teams they had and won overseas in adverse conditions.

Truly great captains are a rare commodity. There isn't one captain around now I'd remotely put in that bracket.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back