Captaincy

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: End of 2011 list management

He sounded very disappointed with some of their non-selections.

After the interview Cornes and Rowie essentially talked about the ridiculousness of the bickering and poor management between the coaches and some of our players.

I'm with the op, would like to see Boak made captain next year. In fact, you would think all clubs with our list would make Boak captain. But remember, this is a club which reinstated Primus as captain over our only AFL premiership captain the year after our premiership. Yes I know Primus was the captain out injured that year but surely you would go with Tredrea after he held aloft the cup. This is also the club which chose Cassissi over S Burgoyne. So nothing is assured with this club.

Yeah, I didn't think Shaun was the best option at the time, and that was borne out by his subsequent behaviour.

If I ever read online that Schulz has been made captain I'll need to clean my keyboard right after.

Larry The Liquidator said:
This is also the club which chose Cassissi over S Burgoyne. So nothing is assured with this club

Shaun Burgoyne's reaction upon not getting the captaincy proved without a shadow of a doubt that he was never the right man to be given the captaincy.

If I ever read online that Schulz has been made captain I'll need to clean my keyboard right after.

Shaun Burgoyne's reaction upon not getting the captaincy proved without a shadow of a doubt that he was never the right man to be given the captaincy.

I fully agree with this post :thumbsu::):thumbsu:

Schulz has been made captain.

(Just buy yourself a new keyboard I reckon)

I don't agree with a lot of what you post gopower, but this is bang on.

I've heard all sorts of theories about why Shaun left but none really make any sense. He spat the dummy, pure and simple.

I know this is going to seem hypocritical after I was defending Dom's captaincy in another thread but is it time to look at a changing of the guard?

Not because Dom hasn't done a good job, he has done a great job in very trying circumstances IMO but with Boak and Trengove winning the BnF it just seems like a perfect time to make a transition to the next generation.

They will be able to grow and develop into the role as the team grows and develops and they will still have Dom there to help out.

I know this is going to seem fairly harsh, but Cassisi's form has been quite down recently for mine, and IMO it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world to change the captaincy if he doesn't pick up. Especially given the leadership that Boak has shown recently.

I would be very happy for a player like Boak to take the captaincy next year, though I do rate Cassisi's leadership skills I much prefer someone who actually plays well to be our captain. It is just better IMO.

Boak is still learning to shake the hard tag, let alone having the leadership on his shoulders as well. Dom does a pretty good job. I think it would be a bit tough to put it on one of the young blokes when the club is already struggling pretty bad, that much pressure may have the exact opposite effect to what we want in there development. It also could mean a true leader rises out of one of them, but to me its a gamble that doesn't need to be taken at this current time

I'm happy with Dom as captain and think he should keep the job. Perhaps by this time next year it might be time to start thinking about handing over to the next generation, although that will depend on what sort of year we have and what sort of claims guys like Boak, Trengove, etc are making.

In my view, the captaincy should really select itself because we should get to a point where someone has an obvious, undeniable claim on the job as a result of their on field performances and leadership impact.

If you think back, that's really what happened with the transition from Wanganeen to Primus and then later from Primus to Tredrea. I don't think anyone at Port this year has impressed enough to yet make any sort of claim as the heir apparent to Dom.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm sure I read somewhere during the week that Dom is the longest serving non-South Australian at either local AFL club.

as if people still think it was some kind of mistake not making Shaun captain. he is an arrogant tool, and as it's been mentioned, this club built his brother and father and himself and he doesn't acknowledge that or defend the club in times he could.

as if people still think it was some kind of mistake not making Shaun captain. he is an arrogant tool, and as it's been mentioned, this club built his brother and father and himself and he doesn't acknowledge that or defend the club in times he could.

I am not happy that Shaun left and for whatever reasons, which I am unaware of, but to say that he doesn't defend the club is unfair as he is now at another club and has to show loyalty to them - no matter how much that hurts us.

The only occasion that I have seen Shaun in the media and on the issue of Port was on TFS and he did actually defend the club when a few derogatory comments were made by Senile2.

Judas Mach II LITE, never deserved or warranted the captaincy and his actions after the fact only put more evidence on the table, leaders don't sook if they arent gifted said position of power, they work harder!

Cassisi to hand over captaincy at end of 2012 season to the worthiest applicant.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back