Opinion Cardinal George Pell - Found Guilty, (Appeal Rejected 21/8)

Remove this Banner Ad

No. I am an atheist.

There is an active Suppression Order about this case that extends to social media.

Having a thread such as this, on a site as big as this could be considered to be in breach of the Order. Also, in the event of Pell being found guilty (note, I am not inferring he is) it could enable an argument that he was unable to receive a fair trial.

What a load of rubbish...

Where did you read about this suppression order?

Name a single case with media attention that hasn't had social media commentary in the past decade? How many of them successfully argued they didn't receive a fair trial due to social media?

Zero?

billy-madison-memecrunch-com.jpg

The prosecutor, Andrew Tinney SC, read a stern warning to the press: “Any publication of material speculating about the strength or otherwise of the case, the prospect of a fair trial or trials being had, whether the accused should or should not have been charged, the likelihood of conviction or acquittal, or any other such matters would be in contempt of court.”

He continued: “The director of public prosecutions has already had cause to write to a number of media organisations in respect of articles which appeared to be in breach of the principles.”
https://www.theguardian.com/austral...eorge-pells-magistrates-court-show-david-marr

Was this before or after George touched him inappropriately?
There might be something in that... True story, the old bull terrier hated creepy old men in dark over coats (lots of em in Ballarat at the time) hanging around the forest where I walked him.

No. I am an atheist.

There is an active Suppression Order about this case that extends to social media.

Having a thread such as this, on a site as big as this could be considered to be in breach of the Order. Also, in the event of Pell being found guilty (note, I am not inferring he is) it could enable an argument that he was unable to receive a fair trial.
You have a point....I dont want my dog implicated for biting him inappropriately. He was a good dog, his actions can only be attributed to an ice habit, being taken away from his parents as a pup and high unemployment at the time

Cardinal George Pell found guilty of sex offences against two boys
Shannon Deery, Herald Sun
5 minutes ago
Subscriber only
Cardinal George Pell has been found guilty of sexual offending against young choirboys while serving as Melbourne’s archbishop.
News of the stunning verdicts, delivered in December, can today finally be reported after a suppression order was lifted banning publication of anything to do with Pell’s trial.
The order was in place to protect an expected second trial over allegations Pell indecently assaulted boys at a Ballarat swimming pool in the 1970s.

Yeah, I think we're on the same side here (although I think he won't get off). That's why I want it to stay as secret as possible until all the charges are done; the prosecutors asked for this, they think it will help them, so we should let them have it.

From the HS article :think::think::think::think:

"But prosecutors today dropped that trial after a ruling by County Court chief judge Peter Kidd excluded certain evidence considered crucial to the case. It understood the two complainants in that matter have been left devastated by the decision not to proceed."

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is a very serious crime.

Those guilty of such crime can find their way to prison.

The SERIOUSNESS of the crime does NOT need to be CHEAPENED by petty political point scoring.

VICTIMS DESERVE BETTER than an excercise in political smugness.

Cardinal George Pell found guilty of sex offences against two boys
Shannon Deery, Herald Sun
5 minutes ago
Subscriber only
Cardinal George Pell has been found guilty of sexual offending against young choirboys while serving as Melbourne’s archbishop.
News of the stunning verdicts, delivered in December, can today finally be reported after a suppression order was lifted banning publication of anything to do with Pell’s trial.
The order was in place to protect an expected second trial over allegations Pell indecently assaulted boys at a Ballarat swimming pool in the 1970s.
Exactly why I’m not religious in anyway. Have fun rotting away

Maybe the church should have considered this earlier instead of covering it up?
I don’t think anybody disputes that organisations including churches should be less in the covering up and more into the reporting.

Unfortunately, tragically, many organisations including churches of all denominations believed covering up was a better option than reporting.

It is clearer today that organisations and churches will be brought to trial so covering up is loathsome.

I don’t think anybody disputes that organisations including churches should be less in the covering up and more into the reporting.

Unfortunately, tragically, many organisations including churches of all denominations believed covering up was a better option than reporting.

It is clearer today that organisations and churches will be brought to trial so covering up is loathsome.
In this case, an individual as well as an organisation was doing the covering up - or should we just call it lying?

There is a poster on SRP that is one of the victims of religious child abuse and has shared his experiences (very sad) and I can understand how some are angry against the system, politicians, and the church.

Although the case is now under appeal, I don't begrudge them this minor victory and making it political. If they don't how do things change?

There is a poster on SRP that is one of the victims of religious child abuse and has shared his experiences (very sad) and I can understand how some are angry against the system, politicians, and the church.

Although the case is now under appeal, I don't begrudge them this minor victory and making it political. If they don't how do things change?
SRP?

In this case, an individual as well as an organisation was doing the covering up - or should we just call it lying?
What ever you want to call it, call it.

Those that commit terrible crimes should go to jail.

The next step is being better at preventing such crime happening again.
That’s difficult so society pushing for openness is a good thing.

The first thing they have to do is allow Catholic Priests to get married. I am yet to hear a case of an Orthodox Priest molesting children.

Men have urges and to supress them is "unnatural". The Catholic methodology is broken......fix it now before another child's life is ruined.

People can have their day of justice.
Never an issue.

But ofcourse what will inevitably happen, is some will try to make it about this political party or that political party. I find that cheapness dreadful because the issue of such crime should transcend petty left / right point scoring.

Unfortunately these crimes are found in all groups of people, all colours, all view points, in families....

Children should always be safe from the worst of humanity.

The first thing they have to do is allow Catholic Priests to get married. I am yet to hear a case of an Orthodox Priest molesting children.

Men have urges and to supress them is "unnatural". The Catholic methodology is broken......fix it now before another child's life is ruined.
I think this post from the other forum, pretty much agrees with you:

I would ban any institution that permanently forbids the sexual union of man and woman. Be they buddhist monks or catholic priests. Permanent forced sexual abstinence creates a breeding ground for sexual dysfunction and human sickness of which one maninfestation is the sexual abuse of children IMO.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back