Challenge system

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 3, 2022
AFL Club
Adelaide
Why don't we have one? They brought in an extra umpire and the game hasn't gotten any better officiated. There needs to be a captain's challenge system. We have got to be just about the last code in the world without some sort of challenge or review system.

My idea:

3 challenges per match, only lose one if you are wrong. Can only challenge if it results in a score or a player lining up for goal.

PLUS

Everything in the last 2 minutes of the fourth qtr has to be reviewed regardless of challenges. At least if its before 2 mins you still have a chance to fix things.

Oh yeah you better believe this is a melt from the AFL conceding Jordan Dawson should've got a free. Bathe in my salt.

In all seriousness though, it's a dumb idea. Especially the 2 min challenge. That would mean that for every contest inside 50, the play would have to stop while video umpires review every part of the play to determine if a free has been missed. The last 2 minutes of a game could take 5 minutes and be stopped 8 times.

Or do you make it every play 55m out, as some players can kick 55m.

In all seriousness though, it's a dumb idea. Especially the 2 min challenge. That would mean that for every contest inside 50, the play would have to stop while video umpires review every part of the play to determine if a free has been missed. The last 2 minutes of a game could take 5 minutes and be stopped 8 times.

Possibly! I'd envisage it'd only be for scoring plays. I can appreciate there may be some tricky nuances.

It'd certainly add time. It's probably how much do we value what is right over the 'flow' of the game and the spectacle.

Hard one because it seems like not a big deal until it's your team in a Grand Final.

Tricky but that's what can make for a fun conversation

Was going to say, it would end up last basketball, where the 'last 2 minutes' go on for about half an hour due to timeouts every 10 seconds.

Sounds interesting, I would give 2 challenges per team per game and must initiated by the coach within a certain period of time from the incident (maybe 10 seconds feel about right). Team loses the review regardless of if the decision right or wrong. On field decision still stands if video evidence inconclusive
The game is becoming too big economically to ignore blatant injustice from poor umpiring

So the Dawson decision would not be challenged
Sounds interesting, I would give 2 challenges per team per game and must initiated by the coach within a certain period of time from the incident (maybe 10 seconds feel about right). Team loses the review regardless of if the decision right or wrong. On field decision still stands if video evidence inconclusive
The game is becoming too big economically to ignore blatant injustice from poor umpiring

So a team has a fast break and an almost certain goal and the captain calls for a review stopping the play.

So the Dawson decision would not be challenged

So a team has a fast break and an almost certain goal and the captain calls for a review stopping the play.
I picked 10 seconds because it would incredibly hard to go from one end of the ground to score at the other end in that amount of time. The rule could be for play to continue until the next stoppage or next slow play at umpire's discretion. Not sure why the Dawson decision or the Daicos decision or the Rankine goal in the 4th quarter couldn't have been challenged under this system

eh the score review is bad enough

umpires are human and they make mistakes too - it sucks but it's not really any different to a player making a game changing mistake

I was at the Crows scoring end of the ground in the last qtr (albeit level 4) and I honestly didn't notice the hit on Dawson and was confused for a while when I started to read bigfooty on the tram home

Was way more frustrated with the inconsistent HTB calls through out the game, myself

Isn't every 'non-decision' also a decision? How would a player also like to review the calls that are not paid in a free kick yet are still incorrect?

With the amount of grey in the rules how would a free kick decision be overturned? A lot of what does come from AFL House (when they do comment on such things) is 'it was the correct decision in the context'.

While a good idea in theory I don't see it working in practice.

eh the score review is bad enough

umpires are human and they make mistakes too - it sucks but it's not really any different to a player making a game changing mistake

I was at the Crows scoring end of the ground in the last qtr (albeit level 4) and I honestly didn't notice the hit on Dawson and was confused for a while when I started to read bigfooty on the tram home

Was way more frustrated with the inconsistent HTB calls through out the game, myself
I reckon this is a consequence of four umpires. It seems less consistent than ever this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why don't we have one? They brought in an extra umpire and the game hasn't gotten any better officiated. There needs to be a captain's challenge system. We have got to be just about the last code in the world without some sort of challenge or review system.

My idea:

3 challenges per match, only lose one if you are wrong. Can only challenge if it results in a score or a player lining up for goal.

PLUS

Everything in the last 2 minutes of the fourth qtr has to be reviewed regardless of challenges. At least if its before 2 mins you still have a chance to fix things.

Oh yeah you better believe this is a melt from the AFL conceding Jordan Dawson should've got a free. Bathe in my salt.
I would like to challenge:
giphy.gif

Round 15:Throw

Round 7: No high free:
GettyImages-1252378637-1.jpg

fv14P7IQ.jpg

Did I do it right?

giphy.gif

fv14P7IQ.jpg

Did I do it right?

Yeah absolutely. Although as I said in the OP it's about decisions leading to scoring shots I reckon.

I'm already on record as acknowledging there were some really poor calls both ways but I just think the 'swings and roundabouts' argument sucks.

Adelaide getting the rub one game and Collingwood the other doesn't sit well with me. At the end of the day its two poorly umpired games and both (and all) teams deserve better.

Maybe for score review that captain can call as they supposedly do it anyway but f**k me. Anything else would be horrible.

Unless we had a yellow/red card system where players could retrospectively be carded/sent-off after the video review team looked at an incident. I'd be much happier with a system like this as a suspension does nothing for a team who gets affected by a player getting KO'd/having to go off after an "illegal" act (unless they are playing them again in that weeks threshold which is very unlikely unless it's finals or a loooooong suspension)

giphy.gif

fv14P7IQ.jpg

Did I do it right?

Yes there was certainly a strong sense of irony that Dawson was showing the umpire his bleeding lip after the game.

On the challenge system, it still doesn't make any sense. Half of the time the problem is non-calls, and since it's obviously impossible to challenge a non-call without stopping play, it'll never work for that. The only thing that will help the umpiring is to simplify the rules.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back