Preview Changes & Preview - Yartapuulti vs Hawks Round 10 Sunday May 19th @ Adelaide Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Plus Lord only just returning through the SANFL plus McKenzie injured but a more than handy backup defender.

It's why I never buy the 'we lack depth' discussion. By AFL standards, our depth is actually not bad.
The lack of depth discussion always rears its head when we lose.

Lord for the broken wreck that is Dixon is absolutely on the cards.

Dixon needs about a month out to get right for the back end of the year.

There is no "getting right" he's been a wreck for years. You could give him 6 months off and the first knock he gets he'll be hobbling around like a great granny

There is no "getting right" he's been a wreck for years. You could give him 6 months off and the first knock he gets he'll be hobbling around like a great granny
It will definitely be a tough ask.

I think it happened last year with Lycett. He had a few games off and I thought he'd come back better but it wasn't the case.

If Lords up to it physically id give Charlie a rest . If Rozee is fit I’d bring him in for Evans and make McEntee sub .
I’d give Sinn another run , a rock , paper, scissors face off between Visentini and Sweet . If Jones is fit he can have a run in the twos

Our recent record against Hawthorn is quite weird.

In 2022 they smoked us at AO.

Then last year we had the tale of two halves where we kicked 100 points in the first half and then they dominated us in the second half.

They'll be confident they can play good football against us at AO. Letting them back into the game last year has ensured that. We're going to need to play well to win.

Then last year we had the tale of two halves where we kicked 100 points in the first half and then they dominated us in the second half.

They'll be confident they can play good football against us at AO. Letting them back into the game last year has ensured that. We're going to need to play well to win.
It depends which Hawthorn shows up they are a yoyo between barely competitve to surprisingly good at times.

The ruck selection should be a genuine talking point all year. I'd be happy to mix and match between all 3 of them, dependent on the game style we want to go with that week and the rucks we are up against.
The aim should be to have 3 genuine fit and firing options come finals time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The ruck selection should be a genuine talking point all year. I'd be happy to mix and match between all 3 of them, dependent on the game style we want to go with that week and the rucks we are up against.
The aim should be to have 3 genuine fit and firing options come finals time.

There is that.

Port have said from the start of the year there's nothing between them. Soldo should certainly be managed.

Is Lord ready for a full AFL game though?

I didn’t watch the magpies this week, but 1 game for a young player off a 2 month injury doesn’t sound like enough.

But I do like the idea of getting games into him to grow confidence against Hawthorn and Norths. Particularly given either side’s back line quality.

Hawthorn have won 3 out of their last four so confidence will be up. But I’m not sure how much you can read into that, given it was Norths (Marvel), a yo-yo’ing Dogs (Marvel) and an over rated Saints (in Launceston).

They have been destroyed by any team in top 6 contention, with exception of Collingwood, who they played when out of form.

On paper Port should get this done and need the percentage boost that should follow. But it’s Port…. So who knows….

Is Lord ready for a full AFL game though?

I didn’t watch the magpies this week, but 1 game for a young player off a 2 month injury doesn’t sound like enough.

But I do like the idea of getting games into him to grow confidence against Hawthorn and Norths. Particularly given either side’s back line quality.
Not with the current tall forward line up we have. Let him get some fitness and touch in the 2’s for a good few weeks first.

Anyone else thinks Bergman is better in defence?
I'd love to see him settled down back.
100%. Would love to see him locked in down back. We look a much safer back 6 with Miles in place of Lachy Jones.
They do seem obsessed with getting Jones into the side (when fit) though. I'd be tempted to try him in the SPP role (Jones that is)...

I wouldn't be rushing Rozee or Jones back from hamstring injuries. But any talk of Sinn overtaking Jones is crazy. Jones is miles ahead of him. Sinn did ok and that was great, I hope he gets an extended run and builds his confidence.

Lord was shagged by quarter time of the North game, probably needs another sanfl game to build fitness. He looked good when he was fresh though, presented and contested hard, took marks or brought the ball to ground. He will be back soon.

Mead has to stay in the middle, on decent minutes. And we should ride Ollie's wave of renewed form for as long as it lasts. Once Rozee is back, I'd be playing him as a permanent forward. Would give us some genuine X factor.

You could play Rozee like Wanganeen off back pocket/half back or up forward and just for fun run him through the midfield to give a few of the other guys a spell.

There isn't any real x factor down back this year, Williams and Bergman were creative like that last year.

Structurally as teams force Port to play outside the corridor more, speed, creativity, run and carry and precision skills from the backline becomes far more important, so the team has to be adjusted accordingly. Burton, Farrell and to a lesser extent Jones don't quite have "that" in their game.

100%. Would love to see him locked in down back. We look a much safer back 6 with Miles in place of Lachy Jones.
They do seem obsessed with getting Jones into the side (when fit) though. I'd be tempted to try him in the SPP role (Jones that is)...
Jones isn't a "turn around" player he needs to be running at the ball to use his only real weapon. In my opinion he can only play back or possibly a defensive minded wingman.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back