Preview Changes & Preview - Norfs vs Ports Round 11 Saturday May 25th @ Tassie

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If we were a halfway serious threat to the flag neither Burton or McEntee would be in the side this week.
In a previous thread, I was trying to be a tad ruthless and it was argued to me that you shouldn't worry too much about the bottom 6 [that's a bit disingenuous of the discussion itself] or so in your team but I firmly believe that those types of players can lose you games and that a bad call from the coaches box can ruin a game for you.

I believe it is one of the reasons out of many why we have such high highs and low lows because we have match winners like Rozee, Butters, Horne-Francis, Houston and now possibly Rioli but we also have guys like McEntee and Burton and last year Lycett and the rest of the rucks and Jonas and to a lesser extent, McKenzie actively helping us to lose games. Those guys are match losers and the match winners have to make up for them.

McEntee and Burton are serious problems within the side.
Boak and Dixon to a lesser extent.

I am getting to the point where I think Burton is almost becoming as bad as Jed. I mean, Burton has the leg to kick but lets goals in way, way, way too easily.

Last edited:
Nothing is more certain than McEntee would get a game after his game saving tackle last week.

The defensive forward maestro is amongst our small forwards
  • second last for tackles by 0.4% to DBJ (3.0 to 2.6)
  • 3rd for pressure acts per game
  • last for one percenters per game
Of course if he
  • kicked more than a goal every 4 games,
  • took more than a mark a game,
  • averaged more than 2.5 kicks a game
  • have made a single goal assist
he probably wouldn't have to make so many wonderful defensive efforts.

It makes my balls shrivel (moreso) to see he has played every game so far this season. Even if 1 was as a sub (which is even more ridiculous when you think about what kind of player a sub should be).
Go to the games. Clap when something good happens, boo when something bad happens. It really is that simple. Stats are just too complicated.

The wording of my post wasn’t that great 🤣🤣🤣

But I do agree with the actual sentiment. Would have been good to see Scully or Anastasopoulos debut.

It’s fine for the same people to call for Jed and Burton’s head on here every week but I’m yet to hear of any decent replacements.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I don’t know what the answer is with Burton. I’m not sure who you replace him with but you just can’t let efforts like he’s been putting in for the last couple of years go.
The coaching staff has let it go. I’m resigned to think he’s not going to change but I want to see him under a new coach. I’ve seen him very occasionally go in vigorously but it’s all too rare. I think he’s got it in him somewhere.
He needs to hear from someone that he’s not living up to his potential because he doesn’t play the game as he needs to at Afl level.
Currently his ability to be uncompromising in his attack on the ball and opponent is nowhere near what it needs to be when you’re thinking of him being a part of a premiership defence.

Our key forwards are going to hold us back this year and need a shake up asap. Georgiades is playing too high up the ground in a role he’s not at all suited to. Lord can win 1 v 1’s which none of the other 4 do, he needs to come in when ready.
I don't think MG is "not suited" to the role, he's just not familar with it. Also, coming off an ACL which typically takes a full season to re-gain form/confidence.

I'm not opposed to this idea as a way to fit him into the team whilst Dixon is on his last legs.

I do agree that we need Lord up and firing asap as Marshall has absolutely lost his form and Dixon has become a week by week proposition.

I don’t know what the answer is with Burton. I’m not sure who you replace him with but you just can’t let efforts like he’s been putting in for the last couple of years go.
The coaching staff has let it go. I’m resigned to think he’s not going to change but I want to see him under a new coach. I’ve seen him very occasionally go in vigorously but it’s all too rare. I think he’s got it in him somewhere.
He needs to hear from someone that he’s not living up to his potential because he doesn’t play the game as he needs to at Afl level.
Currently his ability to be uncompromising in his attack on the ball and opponent is nowhere near what it needs to be when you’re thinking of him being a part of a premiership defence.
Spot on - they dropped him but then had to rush him back after Jones got injured.

The only other player available and ready to replace him is Dylan Williams, who seems to have fallen out of favour. I'm hoping McKenzie will get a go in this role once he gets a few games under his belt.

It’s fine for the same people to call for Jed and Burton’s head on here every week but I’m yet to hear of any decent replacements.
I'd have Sinn in for Burton. Happy to have Dylan Williams
I am happy to play Anastasopoulos for McEntee.

I don't think I would have a problem with the Dulmial Gun in for Burton as well but I would prefer an up and comer.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hoping for late change Anasta in for Rozee thinking ahead to Thursday nights game.
Burton sub.
Dante and Rozee travelling emergencies.

I'd have Sinn in for Burton. Happy to have Dylan Williams
I am happy to play Anastasopoulos for McEntee.

Sinn was in the last two games but broke his collarbone. Dylan Williams was crap when he was given his chance and I’m not convinced Anastasopolous is ready or can play selfless/thankless role McEntee plays.

Sinn was in the last two games but broke his collarbone. Dylan Williams was crap when he was given his chance and I’m not convinced Anastasopolous is ready or can play selfless/thankless role McEntee plays.

I'd take an AFLW player over those two pathetic players.

dog shit time but keen to watch the JHF show, he should try to take mark of the year, extract urine like we've never seen before

Our key forwards are going to hold us back this year and need a shake up asap. Georgiades is playing too high up the ground in a role he’s not at all suited to. Lord can win 1 v 1’s which none of the other 4 do, he needs to come in when ready.
I don't quite understand. Whatever his faults, you can't infer Dixon doesn't win one on ones. He has easily more contested possessions and contested marks per game than any other key forward in our side. Did last year too. Usually against more than one opponent.

Mitch just needs to be allowed to play to his strengths. He is a natural forward. Wasting him as a HHF, especially when his fitness must be down, is just typical Hinkley brains trust.

Tom Alphabet or Lord for McEntee. I don't care which. Tom doesn't need to play Jed's role. If he gets dangerous offensively that is good enough for me. Or we can play four talls. Marshall and Jeremy are mobile enough and skilled enough such that we can get away with that.

Dylan is good enough to get another go. He is just going to have to find a way to make his strengths offset his one great weakness which is pace. If he doesn't, he won't make it as an AFL defender. Until late in his career Jonas was able to play on quicker, more agile opponents without being exposed for his lack of pace.

Our entire defense needs to gel better when playing in a zone. Those goals out the back that Hawthorn and the Crows were getting were ridiculously easy and showed just how much work our defenders need to put into playing as a unit.

Sarcasm isn’t helping your argument.
I would literally take anyone else on the roster.

If you've seen these guys play recently you would know they are net negatives and the famous Simpsons inanimate carbon rod would be better.

In order to keep up with Jed, you need to score a goal every four games.
In order to keep up with Burton, you just don't have to allow your direct opponent to kick four goals on you in a quarter.

For Burton, you can grab a medium defender left on the list or better still swing Bergman back there and play a midfielder on the wing.

For Jed, you take Tommy A who has more skill in his right pinky than Jed. There have been a couple of goals that Tommy A has kicked in the SANFL that Jed could've even dream about.

It's not difficult and reminds me of the "who are we going to get to replace Hinkley then"? r words.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back