Music Chronicle your life in 10 songs.

Remove this Banner Ad

Oops, I did 12 songs but hey, life changes pretty rapidly during one's existence on this rock.

The junior primary Pweter

Get a Job – The Deltones
I had an unhealthy obsession with The Deltones when I was a real young tacker. The folks had a single record of theirs and I have zero doubt my family were slowly going insane hearing me play that record day in and day out.

The middle primary school Pweter
You Shook Me All Night Long – AC/DC
What is this? Chords that could break your ribs if you turned it up loud enough, screaming vocals, solid solid beats. Was this the formative years of what would become a metal obsession for the rest of my life? Mum and dad had summer 1980 type record which I discovered this song on a couple of years later.

The upper primary school Pweter
Sweet Child Of Mine – Guns n’ Roses
Many memories going slightly nuts to this song taped off Rage with mates before we’d go to the pool, to the BMX track, to wherever. It was my first real “fire up” song.

“The random song in about this period that still makes me smile and think of simpler days” Pweter
Oh Yeah – Yello
Seriously, wtf? This song was so bad that it was good. Also was one of the more “interesting” film clips ever made on a shoe string budget

Early teens Pweter
Sanitarium – Metallica
When I started high school a bloke laughed a bit at my Poison, Gunners, Bon Jovi hair metal tastes and gave me a copy of Iron Maiden’s Live After Death and Metallica’s Master of Puppets. I loved both instantly, but Sanitarium was a next level awesome song

Mid teens Pweter
Release – Pearl Jam
While I loved the popular songs off Ten (Alive, Even Flow, Jeremy), Release picked me up and took me places. I still get goose bumps when the intro to the song comes on

Late teens Pweter
Up Around The Bend – Creedence Clearwater Revival
In the 12 months before I moved to Adelaide I became really good mates with a bloke who’s farm had “the shed” which had lounges, a fridge, a TV, a stereo system, a darts board and a pool table. Many a night were spent boozing there and playing tunes. Generally some time around midnight-ish the metal/grunge tunes would stop and the old classics start getting a run. This song almost always got a rotation.

The Uni Years Pweter
Cotton Eye Joe – Rednex
This is what happens when a large group of country people move to the city, stay in one of 4 residential colleges within about 1km of each other, and frequent the same pub. 1 song that should never have seen the light of day gets played without fail every pub night for about 6 months and the whole pub starts singing, pretending that it’s a good song. Bloody uni, it has a lot to answer for…..

The “I Can Now Afford All The Pot I Want” Pweter
Space Cadet – Kyuss
With work starting I had money which meant any down time was spent stoned. Thankfully I never moved into hard drugs. I spent a lot of time listening to the Welcome To Sky Valley album by Kyuss, the song Space Cadet was one where I’d shut my eyes and feel the music. Part of me misses those days, most of me is well moved on though.

The “Grow Up” Pweter
Amazing – Alex Lloyd
I’d met a woman, I gave up pot, I reduced my drinking, I felt good. This was her favourite song at the time and it was playing when I proposed. She said yes.

The Grieving Pweter
Blackbird – Alter Bridge
A mate took his life way too young, he was 29. A few years later I heard this song and really liked it, about 6 months later I heard Myles Kennedy talking about the meaning of the song. Duh, it was so obvious. The next time I heard the song I cried thinking of my mate. I still like the song and every time I hear it now I think of him, but from a much better space. This song helped me grieve when I didn’t think I needed to grieve. Stupid blokes, bottling up their feelings for 4 or so years.

The Nowadays Pweter
Roar – Katy Perry
Hey, I have 2 daughters so back off man! This song isn’t because I enjoy it, but it’s a song my eldest did a dance to with her jazz class, and the youngest learned it purely by watching her sister. They then did this dance a lot together. I was usually in the kitchen when they were doing in front of the kitchen bench where we have a fair bit of space. It’s a sign of where life has gone recently.

Last edited:
yehhhh we have the roar one on flat out too, and the shake it off by taylor swift (don't mind that one actually!)

gotta be careful though, put one on you tube and turn your back for a second, the playlist can go off anywhere to gyrating twerkers and who knows what!

The Nowadays Pweter
Roar – Katy Perry
Hey, I have 2 daughters so back off man! This song isn’t because I enjoy it, but it’s a song my eldest did a dance to with her jazz class, and the youngest learned it purely by watching her sister. They then did this dance a lot together. I was usually in the kitchen when they were doing in front of the kitchen bench where we have a fair bit of space. It’s a sign of where life has gone recently.

I have two daughters, one of whom a few years back at age 4 went to a Katy Perry concert with her Mum on the strength on this song and California Girls.
This song does the rounds in my domain also and is a great girls song. Happy to play it.

re: mid teens pewter...

Release -Pearl Jam

I remember watching the doco, PJ were just jamming in the basement, playing this one as an instrumental - a freshly joined eddie rocked in and just started ad-libbing words over the top...then walked off and had a cry in the toilets - they realied they had a deep one from then on!

Eddie said he always regretted being so open with his lyrics on that first album - opened himself up and his personal life to prying eyes... if you look at the lyrics, they are pretty raw! coming after alive, knowing he never knew his dad, and when he finally found out he was adopted his real dad had died, then you read Release and its pretty heart breaking stuff..

I see the world
Feel the chill
Which way to go
Windowsill

Oh dear dad
Can you see me now
I am myself
Like you somehow
I'll ride the wave
Where it takes me
I'll hold the pain
Release me

I'll wait up in the dark
For you to speak to me
I'll open up
Release me

re: mid teens pewter...

Release -Pearl Jam

I remember watching the doco, PJ were just jamming in the basement, playing this one as an instrumental - a freshly joined eddie rocked in and just started ad-libbing words over the top...then walked off and had a cry in the toilets - they realied they had a deep one from then on!

Eddie said he always regretted being so open with his lyrics on that first album - opened himself up and his personal life to prying eyes... if you look at the lyrics, they are pretty raw! coming after alive, knowing he never knew his dad, and when he finally found out he was adopted his real dad had died, then you read Release and its pretty heart breaking stuff..

I see the world
Feel the chill
Which way to go
Windowsill

Oh dear dad
Can you see me now
I am myself
Like you somehow
I'll ride the wave
Where it takes me
I'll hold the pain
Release me

I'll wait up in the dark
For you to speak to me
I'll open up
Release me

Yeah I read years ago that he hated singing songs like Alive live due to the fact his heart and soul were contained in the lyrics. You wonder whether the songs and hence the album would be the same if he didn't though, there's such genuine emotion in the vocals that can't be faked.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back