Rumour Clayton Oliver

Remove this Banner Ad

Back at Casey tomorrow
lets go down and have a look

Imagine the media response if he turns out, top off, six pack, wins the 2km TT and beats Max Gawn in a best of 10 ruck competition for the captaincy?

The ambulance chasers will be in shambles

Ah well what's JDG up to, surely he's ****ed up this off season, over to him

Is it possible that Melbourne know they will have to sever ties with Oliver but need things to play out more to be able to terminate him?

Given the amount left on Oliver's contract I can't see how the two parties could possibly agree to
a settlement. I doubt Melbourne are keen to make a multi million dollar payout to a player that let them down and have that sitting in their cap.

It's like when you have underperforming staff member in any work place. You may know you want to fire them but you can't do it until you have enough evidence to do so without risk of legal repercussions.

That might be what Melbourne are doing and why they are keeping their cards close to their chest. I imagine the bar for outright termination would be quite high.

This is assuming the rumors are true. Just a possible theory.

Is it possible that Melbourne know they will have to sever ties with Oliver but need things to play out more to be able to terminate him?

Given the amount left on Oliver's contract I can't see how the two parties could possibly agree to
a settlement. I doubt Melbourne are keen to make a multi million dollar payout to a player that let them down and have that sitting in their cap.

It's like when you have underperforming staff member in any work place. You may know you want to fire them but you can't do it until you have enough evidence to do so without risk of legal repercussions.

That might be what Melbourne are doing and why they are keeping their cards close to their chest. I imagine the bar for outright termination would be quite high.

Surely there’s a standard clause in these multimillion dollar player contracts that gives the club the option of cancelling it upon three strikes being reached.

The’ve got all year to try and sort him out.
Surely there’s a standard clause in these multimillion dollar player contracts that gives the club the option of cancelling it upon three strikes being reached.
there is this from https://www.aflplayers.com.au/app/uploads/2020/11/
7. TERMINATION
7.1 Where the Player is in material default of the Player’sobligations under this Agreement and such default is not remedied within fourteen (14) days of the Player receiving written notice from the Company of such default, the Company may terminate this Agreement upon providing written notice to the Player. Termination in this manner shall not exclude the obligation of the Player to pay the Companythe Fee the Company is duly entitled to under clause 5.1 of this Agreement for the Term.

I honestly believe Oliver is too great a talent for Melbourne to sever ties with him in the short term. I think they will persevere with him for at least another season. They have invested way too much in him and know what he's capable of to walk away now.

Will be persisted with for at least another season, he is too talented not to.

There's also sunk cost, no point sacking him now when he's in a list spot until mid season anyway.
That’s literally a fallacy

But I do think he is worth persisting with, is there anything in the EBA that prevents clubs from detaining and or imprisoning players? Nothing says discipline like forced labour camps. We used to lock Kreuzer in a cage and starve him before games and look at how much aggression he attacked the game with. Similar approach should be taken for Clarry.

That’s literally a fallacy

But I do think he is worth persisting with, is there anything in the EBA that prevents clubs from detaining and or imprisoning players? Nothing says discipline like forced labour camps. We used to lock Kreuzer in a cage and starve him before games and look at how much aggression he attacked the game with. Similar approach should be taken for Clarry.
they won a prem in a season that was played under lockdown conditions so you may be onto something

He could be noble and do a Tom Boyd who I admire greatly.
If you have serious mental health issues you do what’s best for your health if that means a career change
So be it.

lets go down and have a look

Imagine the media response if he turns out, top off, six pack, wins the 2km TT and beats Max Gawn in a best of 10 ruck competition for the captaincy?

The ambulance chasers will be in shambles

Ah well what's JDG up to, surely he's ****ed up this off season, over to him
Just been reported he’s taking an ‘extended break’

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One thing for certain is that Kane Cornes will use this as further evidence that contracts longer than 5 years are fraught with danger

And he's right I think.

For a bloke in their early 20 years, 7 years is a very long time horizon, and they would feel extremely satisfied/comfortable. Enough to take the foot off the pedal for sure.
yep Brodie Grundy a classic example. Barely fired a shot since his set for life 7 year contract.

You got the ‘embarrass the group’ bit right.
Well yeah, I am done defending this numpty at this point regardless of how amazing he is as a player. He's one of the best I've seen do it but his behaviour is absolutely deplorable and he needs to pull his head in before he messes more than just his career up.

The bloke was on a bender in Shepparton over the Xmas break. Turning up to old friends houses uninvited with an esky and plenty of Bag-gage.

Dont think any of the advice or help provided by his medical team and Melbourne FC is making an impact on his extra curricular habits.
Until he wants to own up to his mistakes and problems (which history shows takes a long time for addicts) then he will have to hit rock bottom before he accepts the help on offer.

Unfortunately in this situation the guys is taking home $45k a month so has plenty of money to fund his lifestyle

Hope the poor fella gets himself right, he's a beaut to watch even if he is an ugly mutant.

IIRC player managers get a cut of what their players get. Pesky performance milestones might stand between the player managers and profit.

I have to say since the Grundy debacle I feel like player managers (along with AFL House) are stuffing the game right up. Wish we hadn't given the Daicos boys such fat deals, they are gold but the longer the deal the more chance something will go south.
I think the manager gets a cut of the deal based on the deal at the time it is made.

If Clayton signs a deal worth $5m then the manager gets a set % of the $5million regardless of whatever happens afterwards.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back