Coaches

Remove this Banner Ad

Gotheroos

Team Captain
Mar 9, 2006
In a house
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Who is the best coach you have played under or been involved at a club with? There are many great coaches out there so I would like to hear everyone's opinions.

i would have to say peter dean for the way he demanded respect and got it he practiced everything he preached constantly put his body in places most wouldnt dream of he was a great talker on the field he knew how to motivate each player and most importantly he spent time developing players my only fault is in his speech he got a bit muddeled up but it was his first year im sure he would of corrected that but he is the best i have seen

Best coach i played under was Haami Williams, although i was a 2's player and never actually played under him at training etc, and what i saw on game day he was a great coach. Only lost 1 game in 2 years till last season. And won a flag in his second year. Related well to players but when he had to he pulled guys into line.
Best one was when he invoked a curfew to all players near finals time, a few players broke it and didnt play.
Great coach.

Worst Kevin Higgins. Most arrogant man you would ever meet. Had the best list of players in the comp yet couldnt even win a final.
Although i will say he would deliver a great pre game address on occasions.

Gotheroos said:
Who is the best coach you have played under or been involved at a club with? There are many great coaches out there so I would like to hear everyone's opinions.

played under neville shaw @ springwood in the aflsq. love his footy & the grog. played against redland bay before the went into the afl, shawry asked a couple of us if we were prepared to back ourselves, as in $$$.
a group of us put up $200.00 each. come away with a 1 point win.

old saint said:
played under neville shaw @ springwood in the aflsq. love his footy & the grog. played against redland bay before the went into the afl, shawry asked a couple of us if we were prepared to back ourselves, as in $$$.
a group of us put up $200.00 each. come away with a 1 point win.

Met Shawry a few times and is a real down to earth bloke. Good value on the P**s!

The Hulkster said:
Best coach i played under was Haami Williams, although i was a 2's player and never actually played under him at training etc, and what i saw on game day he was a great coach. Only lost 1 game in 2 years till last season. And won a flag in his second year. Related well to players but when he had to he pulled guys into line.
Best one was when he invoked a curfew to all players near finals time, a few players broke it and didnt play.
Great coach.

Worst Kevin Higgins. Most arrogant man you would ever meet. Had the best list of players in the comp yet couldnt even win a final.
Although i will say he would deliver a great pre game address on occasions.

Didn't actually play under him but played with him, absolute gun of a player and gun of a bloke. Did he ever do the bullfrog??

Peter Somerville was a great coach to play under, taught me a lot about playing in the ruck and about how the mid field should work.
some might not say so but Dean Lupson was also very good to play under, demanded respect and the players respond to him, knew how to get the best out of his list. won 3 senior premierships in a row, one of them with a buch of kids under 21 who jad only a few years of senior experience.

Paul Spargo from Albury. Always seem to lift sides when he went back there to coach. Is there anyone that can vouch for him? I have never played under him but have heard him speak and all of the players seemed to have a lot of respect for him.

A good one in juniors was Greg Cook.... Peter Frecker was also good, may not have been a big talker but was hell bent on getting the best out of ppl and earned respect 4 it...

I would probably have 3
The best being Marty Mark at carisbrook. Just an awesome bloke who had time for everyone from the best palyer at the club to the worst. And the bloke could play
Brendan Tranter... probably wasnt the best talker but the way this bloke plays football was just inspirational.
Jimmy Jess awesome bloke awesome football. had acheived so much in footy that it was hard not to listen. Only problem was that i was probably a bit to young to really appreciate him

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ian Denny @ Airport West. Have never actually played a game under him (hope to this year) but even on the training track of a Tuesday & Thursday night it is clear to see why the senior players think so highly of him. He just knows so much about the game.

I agree with their APW17, I have two brothers who played with him at Moonee Valley when he was a playing coach and I am sure they would back you up on your comment 100%.

Ian Denny @ Airport West. Have never actually played a game under him (hope to this year) but even on the training track of a Tuesday & Thursday night it is clear to see why the senior players think so highly of him. He just knows so much about the game.
Regarded by many to be one of the best to play park footy was down at Hawthorn but it was in the golden era, played with him at Moonee Valley l think he was 37 odd and still sitting on blokes heads. Seems to have done good things at Airport West with limited funds. Can play cricket too ive heard

Regarded by many to be one of the best to play park footy was down at Hawthorn but it was in the golden era, played with him at Moonee Valley l think he was 37 odd and still sitting on blokes heads. Seems to have done good things at Airport West with limited funds. Can play cricket too ive heard
Jason Clarke and John Ellis good match for each other been together for three years with 3 GF appearances for 2 wins B2B. Passionate and show good belief and faith in there players

Matthew Larkin very professional and great knowledge of the game

Did he play for gordon or redan during the mid 90's?

i was impressed with Simon McLean when he coached St Arnaud (North Central FL) (back to back around 98/99) he made himself at home, and was someone that the kids could approach for help. was great having him around

i was impressed with Simon McLean when he coached St Arnaud (North Central FL) (back to back around 98/99) he made himself at home, and was someone that the kids could approach for help. was great having him around

Would he be the same guy that runs the Broadford Newsagency these days? If it is he is a ripper bloke whom I love talking football with . . . . very very knowledgable :thumbsu:

The best i have played under was MATTHEW LARKIN,very proffesional,with a great tactical brain.
Mick Maguane record speaks for itself seems very switched on and very motivating,haven't had the pleasure of playing unda mick but trained under him and we had him speak to us before our grand final this year.

The best i have played under was MATTHEW LARKIN,very proffesional,with a great tactical brain.

Is he related to Andrew Larkin? Larks coached us for a few years before ending up being the Regional Manager for Newcastle/Hunter for AFL NSW/ACT. Although I wass in the 3's and 2's when he was at our club he was the best coach I had seen in our area by a mile. Like your comments on Matthew Larkin, a great tactical brain and alsovery professional.

He origianlly came from Victoria & i'm pretty sure he played for Port Melbourne at some point??:confused:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back