Coronavirus 2020 / Worldwide (Stats live update in OP) Part 8: This Thread is for Reasonable ON TOPIC Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

I caught Covid in March 2020, and was by definition a “mild” case: not admitted to hospital and no risk factors for severe disease, but how it has affected me and my family is anything but mild.
Having been fit and active, I now find that on bad days I still struggle with everyday chores, and my usually quick-firing brain remains in slo-mo (“brain fog”), a far cry from the way it used to function when I was still working as a consultant in infectious diseases.
Days become a hierarchy of lists: on bad days I have to prioritise only that which is essential, and on good days I have to be careful not to overdo it.
Pacing has become vital, and the joy of spontaneity has been vanquished.
Everything has to be planned, to allow for time and rest between each activity, be it physical or mental.

It’s called old age 😔

No, but take it easy, no climbing scaffolding, ok?

I worked in a gold mine in the far northern goldfields of WA in 1988 and 1989, when I was on nightshift, I could sit in the work ute and pick up 3GL (Geelong, 1342 on AM) as clear as a bell from 10pm until 6am, WST, when the atmospherics were perfect for it. HF would have been more fun but beggars can't be choosers.
On a good night you can get Sydney radio clear as day on a little walkman in Melbourne

An I said 6 months ago we had another 3 years of this sh*t and people mocked me.

Brace yourself everyone.

Last year people were saying let's put 2020 behind us and I asked why, I think 2021 is going to be worse and I think it has been, at least in 2020 we had the first 2 and a half months COVID free. I think that 2022 isn't going to be a hell of a lot better either, if at all.

What the fu** is the game plan in Perth from that ******* peanut?

Shuts down festivals and pubs over 1 case
I reckon some people are just wishing COVID gets into WA just so they can say ‘ha, now you have it too’. He’s made it clear they want to control its introduction as much as possible, he’s named an opening date, he hasn’t shut down, he’s reintroduced masks and closed the highest risk venues to try and avoid it spreading until the nominated date.

He’s in the fortunate position of seeing what letting it rip looks like and it’s not looking great, so spoiling Christmas for a lot of people would be a bad move.

Agree. Early signs are very promising.

The media hysteria around this new variant has been bizarre.

Since covid has started the media have forgotten how things were beforehand and its just easy now being all doom and gloom they only know one way now.

The Today show was on the TV when i was having brekky at 6am on Monday and the headlines were all about cocid. Not one positive story just all doom and gloom about ******* covid around the country with the amount of cases surging in every state

Since covid has started the media have forgotten how things were beforehand and its just easy now being all doom and gloom they only know one way now.

The Today show was on the TV when i was having brekky at 6am on Monday and the headlines were all about cocid. Not one positive story just all doom and gloom about ******* covid around the country with the amount of cases surging in every state
All to do with making money. They're going to milk it dry

Last year people were saying let's put 2020 behind us and I asked why, I think 2021 is going to be worse and I think it has been, at least in 2020 we had the first 2 and a half months COVID free. I think that 2022 isn't going to be a hell of a lot better either, if at all.

Whats the end game is the big question.

My brother tested positive to covid on tuesday after Xmas party on Friday. So our family are basically in 7 day isolation now until after Christmas due to being close contacts.

We are still waiting for our results but we are all fully vaxxed. What happens when everytime a family member get covid everyone has to isolate for a week possible 10 days. Just say your a family of 6 like i am if that happens on 6 different occasions thats possibly up to 60 days you have to isolate while being fully vaxxed. Everyone may get it at different times but not pass it on.

Now don't get me wrong i dont want to spread it to anyone but seriously thats not living with covid if you have to isolate for at least a week everytime you may be a close contact on the possibility you may get it.

Whats the end game is the big question.

My brother tested positive to covid on tuesday after Xmas party on Friday. So our family are basically in 7 day isolation now until after Christmas due to being close contacts.

We are still waiting for our results but we are all fully vaxxed. What happens when everytime a family member get covid everyone has to isolate for a week possible 10 days. Just say your a family of 6 like i am if that happens on 6 different occasions thats possibly up to 60 days you have to isolate while being fully vaxxed. Everyone may get it at different times but not pass it on.

Now don't get me wrong i dont want to spread it to anyone but seriously thats not living with covid if you have to isolate for at least a week everytime you may be a close contact on the possibility you may get it.

I've always maintained too that the hardest bit is going to be the opening up again, that's where the pollies are really going to earn their keep (or not). Locking down, restricting, closing borders etc is the easy part of it.

I work in the iron ore mines of WA, we've asked our employer what happens when the border reopens on 05 Feb and we end up with a case or 3 on site, what happens then? They haven't got a clue. If they continued on with what they were doing earlier this year and last year when there was 1 or 2 cases in the state, they'll realistically have to shut production down and go into isolation but we all know that's not going to happen.

I have visions of all management being flown back to Perth with laptops under arm to work remotely while the rest of us are left on sites to carry on, abandoned like the leper colony in the movie Ben Hur, fed by air drops. Maybe they could set something up like Escape from New York.

I've always maintained too that the hardest bit is going to be the opening up again, that's where the pollies are really going to earn their keep (or not). Locking down, restricting, closing borders etc is the easy part of it.
I think we are starting to see that now. Governments are scared of being labled the ones to let covid spread.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think we are starting to see that now. Governments are scared of being labled the ones to let covid spread.

Well if they stop reporting cases and actually report the ICU and Hospitalization numbers the fear mongering from the media may stop the panic and you actually get a true reflection of how bad it currently is

Well if they stop reporting cases and actually report the ICU and Hospitalization numbers the fear mongering from the media may stop the panic and you actually get a true reflection of how bad it currently is

Would it be different though? Hospitalisations and ICU numbers are going through the roof in NSW and will only get worse.

Dr Gerrard and Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk has been remarkably clear-eyed about the possibility for large numbers of cases and even deaths from the reopening plan.
As far back as October 15, then-chief health officer Jeannette Young was warning that COVID-19 would eventually sweep through the state.
“We are all of us going to end up being infected with COVID, every single person in Queensland,” Dr Young said at the time.
“But if you’ve been vaccinated, it’s highly unlikely that you’ll get sick and you definitely very unlikely to end up in hospital and ICU.”

But even if the main variant was still Delta, Queensland would be pursuing this strategy because it is the only way it can rejoin the rest of Australia and, eventually, the world.

Elimination was possible early in the pandemic, but large countries like the United States and China saw widespread outbreaks, meaning the virus would always be lurking in some form.

The difference between the Queensland experience and the rest of the world, or even with other states of Australia, is that Queensland is one of the few places opening on its own terms.

People north of the border looked on in horror and sympathy as cases raged out of control throughout much of NSW and Victoria this year, with hospitals overflowing and people dying in their homes.

Queensland has taken the time, and the government has spent the political capital, to get the overall rate in the state above 80 per cent fully vaccinated before reopening.

There is a note of caution to this plan, which is the tyranny of scale.

“Any virus that is half as likely to put you in hospital but more than twice as likely to transmit, will put more people in hospital,” he said.

At the moment, despite 807 active cases of COVID-19 in the state, just one person is in hospital with severe symptoms which need to be treated medically.

Unfortunately, after two years, the pandemic isn’t over but perhaps for the first time, the way out is clear.

1640291845649.png

Doctors in the UK have made an urgent plea to keep Christmas celebrations small as scientists said mounting evidence that the Omicron variant of coronavirus is milder may not be enough to stop the NHS being overwhelmed.

Well, that’s that then. Same as Newcastle.

Given the track record in WA so far, they could have had COVID and kissed every single person in that venue and still managed not to spread it.

WA has been incredibly lucky when it comes to potential spreading events.

Gladstone Yacht Club

Alas.

View attachment 1301532

Doctors in the UK have made an urgent plea to keep Christmas celebrations small as scientists said mounting evidence that the Omicron variant of coronavirus is milder may not be enough to stop the NHS being overwhelmed.

One has to wonder what various governments have been doing the last two years in actually bolstering the health system.

Its been a barrage for some
People are worn out and now half may be sick at once
That's a problem. We have seen mass burnout for two years and now everyone is quitting right when we need it most.

If there's one thing we have learned is our health system is absolutely sh*thouse

I'm glad they've (the Scott government) shortened the interval for the boosters, but far out it just shows again how incompetent these muppets are that less than 24hr ago Albo was attacked for suggesting it and now it's their policy.

All Hunt needed to say yesterday was "we're constantly monitoring the program to see where improvements can be made" but now they've kicked an own goal by attacking shortening the interval, then shortening it anyway

I'm glad they've (the Scott government) shortened the interval for the boosters, but far out it just shows again how incompetent these muppets are that less than 24hr ago Albo was attacked for suggesting it and now it's their policy.

All Hunt needed to say yesterday was "we're constantly monitoring the program to see where improvements can be made" but now they've kicked an own goal by attacking shortening the interval, then shortening it anyway
Just shows Dr Albo is way ahead of ATAGI and the health advice. Imagine if he’d been PM*, the whole country would be already lining up for their second booster. Brilliant scientist!

* no wait, that would have been Shorten :drunk: o_O

Just shows Dr Albo is way ahead of ATAGI and the health advice. Imagine if he’d been PM*, the whole country would be already lining up for their second booster. Brilliant scientist!

* no wait, that would have been Shorten :drunk: o_O

Laaazzzyyy troll

I never suggested that Albo was right or wrong, only that the Scott government looks weak now because they flip flopped their position in less than 24hr. Attempting to show strength then having to come back tail between legs to make the change anyway.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back