Traded Courtney Murphy (2023)

Remove this Banner Ad

Lions Homecoming For Murphy

230110_AFLW_Player_Signing_Courntey_Murphy_Article_Header.jpg

The Brisbane Lions have signed Courtney Murphy as a Rookie for the 2023 AFLW Season.

A former Brisbane Lions Academy product hailing from the Sunshine Coast, Murphy has been involved with AFL for much of her life.

In 2016, she was a part of the Queensland Youth Girls squad that competed in the Youth Girls AFL National Championships.

8b83d4a9-877d-4de2-a833-18b59a414050.JPG

Murphy has been in the USA for the last four years, playing in the collegiate basketball system.

Playing for three years at Seattle University, Murphy transferred to Long Beach State University in 2022, but says whilst she has loved her time in the American basketball system, she’s missed her footy.

FJLq9TkXwAM44zI.jpg

“To be able to say I’m a Brisbane Lion and play the sport I’ve missed, feels like my childhood dream is coming true,” she said.

“I’m excited to get to work and bring a premiership home to Brighton Homes Arena.

“A huge thank you to the coaches for giving me this opportunity to be part of a terrific program.”

Known for her three-point shooting and athleticism on the basketball court, Murphy stands at 183 centimetres tall and will look to provide plenty of height to the Lions line-up now being the tallest player on the list.

Previously coached by Brisbane Lions AFLW Head Coach, Craig Starcevich, Murphy has played much of her junior football with a number of current Lions players.

Screen-Shot-2023-03-29-at-11.17.25-am.png

“Courtney is someone we’ve kept in contact with while she was pursuing other athletic endeavours in the US,” Starcevich said.

“She felt as though the time was right to come home and we are thrilled to welcome her back into the AFLW system.

“Having spent time with our Academy and playing high-level junior football, we feel she will reintegrate back into the game relatively quickly.

“Her physical attributes and athleticism are something that is an exciting prospect for us and we are looking forward to having her build toward a big preseason.”

From the Sunny Coast to the US and Back: Murphy’s Journey to the Lions Den

court.png

Courtney Murphy has been around Aussie rules football since she was in grade six, but her arrival at the Lions was not as straight forward as it seems.

The 22-year-old ruck has spent the last four years in America playing college basketball, though a return to the football world was always in the back of her mind.

So much so that Murphy strategically planted the seed with a message to coach Craig Starcevich in a bid to restart her football career.

“I played basketball and footy through my junior years up the Sunshine Coast but had to pick one,” Murphy said.

“There was always that part of me that was missing it while I was in America and wanting to play footy.”

“I always kept in touch with Starce, I knew I wanted to play footy in the future.

“I’m really glad we kept in touch over those years and it’s great to be back being coached by him again and playing alongside these girls.

“When I was nearing the end of my college career I reached out and said, ‘hey got one more year left, what are your plans looking like back in Australia for footy because I’d love to come and play’.”

Growing up playing footy, Murphy is no stranger to the game but having taken five years away she knows it will take some time to adjust.

The exciting ruck prospect is back into the full swing of Lions pre-season training at the Club’s new base at Brighton Homes Arena.

“It is definitely a different environment but a smooth transition, they’ve built a really nice team environment and it is great to come back into that,” Murphy said.

“I think the hardest thing has been the kicking, getting back to kicking again because it has been five years.

“So that was a little bit tough but getting into it every week and improving day by day and I know it’ll come back it’s just getting that muscle memory.

“Before I left for America, I was in the Brisbane Lions Academy and then the Queensland team with a few of the girls and Starce was the coach too, so it is all very familiar.”

As one of the tallest players on the Lions list, Murphy is looking to the Lions lead ruck Tahlia Hickie and forward Dakota Davidson as guiding lights in her first season.

“I think I’ll play in the ruck or as a tall forward this year, hopefully I can contribute to that area,” she said.

“I’m looking up to Tahlia (Hickie) and Daks (Davidson) to follow their steps and they are really helping me so far along the way.”

McKee To The Kennel, Murphy Heads South

Player_Thank_You_Graphic_Analea_-_Courtney_Article_Header.jpg

The Brisbane Lions have found new homes for Rookie signing Courtney Murphy and forward Analea McKee on a chaotic final day of AFLW Sign and Trade Period.

Murphy, a 181-centimetre ruck, joins the Greater Western Sydney GIANTS along with pick 39 in exchange for pick 34 in the 2023 AFLW Draft.

The basketballer-turn-footballer was signed by the Lions earlier this year after returning to Australia from the United States where she played basketball and attended college.

The Lions also participated in one of the most incredible events of the trade period which was a ‘mega trade’ involving 11 clubs, 12 players and 24 picks.

McKee, signed on as an injury replacement player, was traded to the Western Bulldogs along with pick 12 which has been sent to Melbourne.

In exchange the Lions have strengthened their draft hand, receiving pick 21 from Port Adelaide, pick 31 from Collingwood and pick 46 from Fremantle.

McKee made her debut for the Club in Round 1 against Richmond.

Playing six games across the regular season, the young forward booted two goals which both came against Port Adelaide in Round 2.

Head of Women’s Football Breeanna Brock said the Club thanked both players for their service this season and is confident they will make the most of their new opportunities.

“Analea was able to break into the side this year and played six games for us which as an injury replacement is a huge achievement,” Brock said.

“She developed very quickly coming into our system as did Courtney, who came to use from the US where she’d been playing basketball.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back