Crowds question MCG V Etihad

Remove this Banner Ad

I assume at least the 2015 in the OP should say Etihad not MCG- maybe others?

Anyway, I go to a lot of neutral games here in Melbourne as a crows fan, and I always prefer going to the MCG over Etihad. Its hard to put into words, but if its a nice sunny day there's nothing better than spending the day at the G- or even a night game I enjoy the atmosphere there even if its cold. But I find Etihad somewhat depressing sometimes, especially if the roof is closed and its sunny outside. So as a netural there are some games I choose to go to at the MCG that I wouldn't go to if it was at Etihad- although it wouldn't let it stop me watching my team play. I ride my bike to games so parking doesn't affect me, but it seems there are more hassles with parking and traffic at Etihad also.

I think also Collingwood fans have a fairly strong resentment of having home games away from the MCG, so not turning up is perhaps some kind of protest in a way. I went to the crows vs collingwood game at etihad earlier in the year, and the crowd was very poor- maybe 32k? It almost seemed like crows fans outnumbered collingwood fans, although I'm sure that wasn't true.

- No MCC (Medallion club but only ever a few thousand)

- Tiny AFL Members reserve (like 3000 seats)

- harder to get to by car and parking is far away unless you want to pay astronomical rates

- good seats are more expensive. For most non blockbusters, you can rock up at the G and there's quality general admission seats on the ground level. Even if there's only 10k people at Etihad, those seats are premium price. For GA you sit in the heavens with no amenities, and climb Mt Everest to get there.

Those are the major things I'd say that sways the borderliners who are tossing up whether to go along or sit on the couch now that all games are live. The hardcore still attend obviously.

The G really is the people's ground.

How many Victorians who hate Etihad are MCC members though? They can't all be. I don't mind Etihad at all. It's rubbish for soccer though, but given it's not designed for it, that's not really surprising.
Disagree it's rubbish for soccer, I think its better for soccer than AFL, with its movable seating brining you right in on the pitch.

For AFL there are less good seats for people, less seats on the bottom and 2nd levels, basically you get stuck up the top at Etihad.

AFL is better at the MCG, Soccer is better at etihad.

etihad-stadium_exq4ixvyb4fk1774rp96gcfuk.png

Hardcore fans will go anywhere.

It's those that may be waivering that will weigh up whether a cold, overpriced and overcrowded (to get in and out) stadium with a muted atmosphere is really worth the considerable effort (especially if you take public transport) on a freezing winter night. If you have Foxtel it's almost idiotic to go in those circumstances.

I still go there, but I don't enjoy it.

saturday twiglight fixture is possibly the worst of them for attendance.
Easily the best. Not too late to go out after it, not too early to do s**t before it.

Gee, I'm visiting Melbourne from Perth for the first time and the stuff you're all complaining about sounds like a big fat whinge lol.

Southern Cross a nightmare? You should see Perth station.

Etihad difficult to get to? It isn't, although perhaps me taking the Upfield line from Coburg is what made it easier. But I can't imagine its that much of a stretch you take the train to Flinders then change from there(if it is... well, do I congratulate you on your ridiculously high standards?).

You have a roof. You have no wooden benches and I was able to directly to Jolimont right after the West Coast-Collingwood game to soccer easily. Man I wish Perth was that efficient in anything let alone a train lol.

Hard to get out of? *some noise that signals utter disbelief* You're all lucky you get spoilt rotten by that awesome facility.

The main thing I dislike about it is that that for Carlton and Essendon home games the opposition doesn't get many supporters showing up, this is due to both availability and cost of seating. This makes for a bit of a crap atmosphere for the away team.

As an aside, on the weekend Docklands overtook both Waverley Park and the Junction Oval to go to 4th on the all time number of VFL/AFL games list with its 733rd, 734th and 735th matches. At around 48 games a year it will overtake Victoria Park in less than 4 years but would need 11 or 12 to reach Princes Park. No ground is ever going to get near the MCG.

http://afltables.com/afl/venues/overall.html

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know I am in a minority group that likes Etihad over the MCG. In fact I dislike the MCG quite a bit. Love Etihad though and are glad North play home games there.

The wank over the mythical "G" is just that.

For a crowd under 50k - give me Etihad any day of the week!

I have been to probably 10 games at the G and crowds under 55-60,000 just seems soulless.

The view, amenities, convenience of Etihad is a mile ahead IMO

I can understand the players not liking it - but the fans... makes no sense at all

- No MCC (Medallion club but only ever a few thousand)

- Tiny AFL Members reserve (like 3000 seats)

- harder to get to by car and parking is far away unless you want to pay astronomical rates

- good seats are more expensive. For most non blockbusters, you can rock up at the G and there's quality general admission seats on the ground level. Even if there's only 10k people at Etihad, those seats are premium price. For GA you sit in the heavens with no amenities, and climb Mt Everest to get there.

Those are the major things I'd say that sways the borderliners who are tossing up whether to go along or sit on the couch now that all games are live. The hardcore still attend obviously.

The G really is the people's ground.
Ian Collins ****ed it forever for thousands of people.
I went to last years VFL Grand Final, and arrived when the game was already underway.
The queues to buy a ticket were long and then the 2nd queues to get in were 150 m long.
I left happily after saying to one bloke, this s**t hole has not changed. He agreed.
These numpties couldn't seat 10-12thousand people.
I had a better day at the pub, and won't go back now after experiencing the same things that happened during that PR disaster Collins reign of arrogance.

Etihad has a great atmosphere but it feels kind of weird to be watching a game indoors sometimes.

Nothing beats the MCG

Ticketmaster is a piece of s**t, dealing with that drives me insane.

It lets you pick an exact seat, much better than Ticketek which offers you what they think is the next best seat.
You are both right they are both crap. And everyone pointing out how annoying it is with all the expensive reserved seating sitting empty at lower drawing crowds are right. That is crap to see.

The thing I do hate about Etihad is the ticket booths by the main entrance. The queues are always massive there and you often see a lot of people missing the start of the game in them. I know that there are other sale points further around but it seems stupid how slow they sell tickets at that main booth

And that is your choice.

I have been to etihad for at least 60 games and never once had any big difficutlies getting into the ground, out of the ground nor long lines.
Good.
I consider myself lucky that my team doesn't play home games at that hole.
Hence i don't have a membership ticket to walk in as i should without cursing the place i already hate with a passion.
I DO NOT GO.

Standing up the back at the MCG >>>>>>>>>>> standing up the back at Etihad Stadium
Sitting up on level 4 at the MCG >>>>>>>>>>>> sitting up on level 3 at Etihad Stadium

Etihad Stadium is a good venue for the fans who make a habit of going there and have their season reserved seat on level 1 or 2. It's a great place for flogs on free tickets in the corporate boxes and Medallion club seats. The place is basically designed for them. Level 2 @ Etihad is awesome. (It just makes it all the more sickening to see all those seats remain used for most games.)

For the thousands of walk up fans and casual fans who go to the footy a handful times a year, it's an ordinary experience compared to going to the MCG.

THOUSANDS of footy fans were probably turned off the new stadium in it's first 10 years of existence. The pre-match queues were horrendous. Many many people missed out on the whole first quarter. I remember standing there in massive slow-moving queues as the first quarter ticked away and goals were piling on, hundreds of fans screaming in frustration. One time, 20 minutes in, our team down by 6 goals, my brother and I looked at each other and said "f**k this, let's go to the pub".

The bottlenecks after the game were equally as bad - f**kin' awful trying to shuffle over the footbridge with 20k other people, especially with children. People were conditioned into becoming anti-Etihad from the very start by the greedy, arrogant, high-handed attitude of Ian Collins and his mates. A lot of people were forced to eat s**t the first 6 or 7 times they went there and simply refused to put up with it anymore. Too unpleasant, so they stopped going.

The AFL tried to force people into paying a premium for reserved seats (plus steep booking fees). They preached at us about the need for the cultural change (re/ pre-purchasing tix,) Just so unbelievably arrogant of them… Zero regard for the families who'd been going for years, meeting up with friends, etc.

The AFL deliberately scheduled matches there between well-supported Vic teams, knowing the games would sell out and fans would be unable to get in (while the MCG was sitting empty and unused just 1km across town.)

Let's not forget the appalling surface issues in the first 5-6 years which caused players to constantly slip over. Overpriced games of footy were reduced to high farce.

I think a lot of people had bad experiences and just decided F**K YOU, I'll stay home and watch on TV. Much easier and cheaper. It's probably hard for the AFL to win those people back.

Colonial Stadium/Telstra Dome/Etihad Stadium has been a good case study in stadium mis-management and disenfranchising your customers. They designed a stadium which catered to the "elite" seats and gave the finger to the footy fans in the cheap seats. No bloody wonder many fans stay away. Adelaide Oval, by contrast has won many people over. People enjoyed the experience and so they'll go back again and again.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back