Analysis Crowds

Remove this Banner Ad

On the crowds;

I am a shocking "supporter". If we're being honest.

I love hitting the cans at the games and Sunday's, travelling from Leppington to the game on the train, if it's a 3:00pm game, I'm not getting home until 7/8pm. I choose to get up at 04:45 to get ready to go to work by 0700, doesn't leave a whole lot of "down-time"

So, in the case of last week, I grab a slab of Sierra Nevada and I watch from home, seat 1A of the IKEA Stand.

In the example of the Gold Coast game, I drove to the game with my injured wife, walked to the ground and her busted ankle swelled up, took the effort of driving all the way there only to turn around at the gate and come back home to watch it...

I haven't been to a Canberra game.

Yet both my wife and I are Ultimate Giants members and oh $450 each a year for the privilege.

I'm moving back to Melbourne in 6 weeks and I'll probably still renew at least 1 Ultimate Giants membership for next year, whilst taking up 2 Victorian Giants memberships again.

If they played at an AFL ground in Campbelltown...

...everyone gets shanked?

I still remember staying in Campbelltown near my mum's cousin's place a few years back. There was a bullet hole in the hotel's foyer.

From being a Brisbane fan I can tell you that crowds always lag a year. If we keep this year going, next year will be really busy. I wouldn't expect a step change this year, regardless of how we play.

This is my thoughts on the crowds. I'd expect them to build a bit as the season goes on if we continue he to win but it would be a finals appearance this year that would really cause a spike next year to both memberships and crowds

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

On the crowds;

I am a shocking "supporter". If we're being honest.

I love hitting the cans at the games and Sunday's, travelling from Leppington to the game on the train, if it's a 3:00pm game, I'm not getting home until 7/8pm. I choose to get up at 04:45 to get ready to go to work by 0700, doesn't leave a whole lot of "down-time"

So, in the case of last week, I grab a slab of Sierra Nevada and I watch from home, seat 1A of the IKEA Stand.

In the example of the Gold Coast game, I drove to the game with my injured wife, walked to the ground and her busted ankle swelled up, took the effort of driving all the way there only to turn around at the gate and come back home to watch it...

I haven't been to a Canberra game.

Yet both my wife and I are Ultimate Giants members and oh $450 each a year for the privilege.

I'm moving back to Melbourne in 6 weeks and I'll probably still renew at least 1 Ultimate Giants membership for next year, whilst taking up 2 Victorian Giants memberships again.

And in the case of the hawthorn game we stood there yelling "reeeeeece lightning" when palmer kicked a goal :)

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

And in the case of the hawthorn game we stood there yelling "reeeeeece lightning" when palmer kicked a goal :)

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

"Rhys Freaking Palmer!" in our section.

From an almost instantly stereotypable Amanda Palmer fan.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In all seriousness, I wonder if the AFL looks at those sort of averages and sees if it can work out an ideal timeslot for the Giants @ Spotless. Making the 4pm timeslot on a Saturday your own - 5 games a year, perhaps - would be a great way to really set yourself up in the market. What's more, it would be a good thing for the two-code supporter base too - game finishes ~7pm, Saturday night NRL starts at 7:30.

Make 4:30pm Giant Time! Or something cheesy like that.

In all seriousness, I wonder if the AFL looks at those sort of averages and sees if it can work out an ideal timeslot for the Giants @ Spotless. Making the 4pm timeslot on a Saturday your own - 5 games a year, perhaps - would be a great way to really set yourself up in the market. What's more, it would be a good thing for the two-code supporter base too - game finishes ~7pm, Saturday night NRL starts at 7:30.

Make 4:30pm Giant Time! Or something cheesy like that.

They kind of have done this at Spotless. 5 out of 8 games are 4:35 Saturday. Of the other three games, one is 1:40 Saturday (v Collingwood) and another is 4:40 Sunday but on a long weekend (v Sydney).

They kind of have done this at Spotless. 5 out of 8 games are 4:35 Saturday. Of the other three games, one is 1:40 Saturday (v Collingwood) and another is 4:40 Sunday but on a long weekend (v Sydney).

The Pies game might be early to let people fly back out that evening, given they tend to have a relatively large traveling contingent.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back