Cycling Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

Love your work mate.

i also have Quarq and Enve wheels too but i ride a focus. I think you should certainly have a crack at racing. It really improves your overall ability (bike handling) + top end fitness, with attacks and surging and all sorts of tactics.... its great fun (but also very hard:))

I'm being encouraged to get my racing license and ride the Tuesday crits at Victoria Park. I can absolutely see the merit in doing so for the exact reasons you mention. I've been pretty fortunate in that I've been able to ride socially with some really high quality guys who really push me and have instilled really good habits from day one.
Which ENVE's do you ride? 3.4's? Do you mostly ride hills? I'd be keen to go for a spin sometime if you're keen.

I'm being encouraged to get my racing license and ride the Tuesday crits at Victoria Park. I can absolutely see the merit in doing so for the exact reasons you mention. I've been pretty fortunate in that I've been able to ride socially with some really high quality guys who really push me and have instilled really good habits from day one.
Which ENVE's do you ride? 3.4's? Do you mostly ride hills? I'd be keen to go for a spin sometime if you're keen.
Yeh sure mate. 3.4's. couple years old now, but bullet proof.

Thats the beauty of riding mate. If you have a bunch that pushes you its great fun.

I used to do a lot more crits at Vic park, but they can become boring, however, they are super for fitness. I prefer the road races (which are more in winter months - but clash with port games which creates a conundrum). These suit me a bit better. A bit up and down and longer as well.

I ride mostly in the Hills but hit the flats as well. It is good to mix it up. Should def head out for a ride mate... as an indicator for me, what would you do up Norton Summit as a PB?

Yeh sure mate. 3.4's. couple years old now, but bullet proof.

Thats the beauty of riding mate. If you have a bunch that pushes you its great fun.

I used to do a lot more crits at Vic park, but they can become boring, however, they are super for fitness. I prefer the road races (which are more in winter months - but clash with port games which creates a conundrum). These suit me a bit better. A bit up and down and longer as well.

I ride mostly in the Hills but hit the flats as well. It is good to mix it up. Should def head out for a ride mate... as an indicator for me, what would you do up Norton Summit as a PB?

Ok. Keep in mind I've been riding only 2 years, but my Norton PB is currently 16.05 without holding someone else's wheel. which was the last time I actually gave it a decent push in mid Feb. My aim is to be lower 15's or even upper 14's by the end of the year, which I definitely think I have in me.
Also keen to give the freeway a good push when I get the ENVE's back on.
So what's your Norton PB?

Ok. Keep in mind I've been riding only 2 years, but my Norton PB is currently 16.05 without holding someone else's wheel. which was the last time I actually gave it a decent push in mid Feb. My aim is to be lower 15's or even upper 14's by the end of the year, which I definitely think I have in me.
Also keen to give the freeway a good push when I get the ENVE's back on.
So what's your Norton PB?
that's bloody good mate. I only started riding when i had to give up soccer after my third ACL, so i have been going about 5 years now.

Improvement comes heaps the more you ride. For norton, my best is around 13.30 and Fwy about 20.40 odd i think from memory. Both days had good winds and was in good nick too.... not so fit now, but getting back to my best.

that's bloody good mate. I only started riding when i had to give up soccer after my third ACL, so i have been going about 5 years now.

Improvement comes heaps the more you ride. For norton, my best is around 13.30 and Fwy about 20.40 odd i think from memory. Both days had good winds and was in good nick too.... not so fit now, but getting back to my best.

13.30 is quality. That time would have had you in the top 20 before it was included in the TDU. A mate has a 12.59, and that was top 10. Not sure where he sits now.

I live about 5 mins from the bottom of Norton and about the same from the bottom of Montacute, so they're probably the two I ride the most out of convenience. I love Montacute. PB there is 22.35.

13.30 is quality. That time would have had you in the top 20 before it was included in the TDU. A mate has a 12.59, and that was top 10. Not sure where he sits now.

I live about 5 mins from the bottom of Norton and about the same from the bottom of Montacute, so they're probably the two I ride the most out of convenience. I love Montacute. PB there is 22.35.
Pros smash everything around Adelaide. its a good leveller though. Shows you just how good they are hey....

Word is that 4 or 5 years back, Valverde went as hard as he could up Norton and did in just on 10 mins at around 500 watts avg..... now thats epic.

That's just stupid.

I'm still reasonably new to riding to power, so sometimes I'm not using the PM exactly the way it's meant to be used. 280 Watts was what I did going up Norton in February. I still haven't done an FTP test, so not exactly sure what my current threshold is.

Riding with power changes your life. I've not done an FTP for ages but I know for example at 78-80kgs (which I am at the upper end of at the moment) that at my peak I should be able to do average 380 watts for 13-14 mins on norton.

Furthermore, it allows you to pace yourself better. Without power you tend to go out way too hard on any effort and fade badly. It's better to finish strong and have higher power in second half of any effort

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Riding with power changes your life. I've not done an FTP for ages but I know for example at 78-80kgs (which I am at the upper end of at the moment) that at my peak I should be able to do average 380 watts for 13-14 mins on norton.

Furthermore, it allows you to pace yourself better. Without power you tend to go out way too hard on any effort and fade badly. It's better to finish strong and have higher power in second half of any effort

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

For Norton Summit, just as an example, I tend to go out moderately hard up to the first hairpin then reign it in a little bit until I get to the last left hand one 1.5 km from the end, and then go up a gear as the gradient slightly drops, and another gear at the trail walkers carpark.
If I'm not going for a good time i'll try and go a gear or two bigger than is comfortable at a cadence of around 60 just to build a bit of strength into my bantam 68kg frame. I've no doubt you're well versed in all the strength effort training and all that stuff.
I just love riding, and I just get maximum enjoyment out of getting better and seeing gains. Often i'll wonder what the * I did with myself before I got a road bike. Couldn't live without it now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I just love riding, and I just get maximum enjoyment out of getting better and seeing gains. Often i'll wonder what the **** I did with myself before I got a road bike. Couldn't live without it now.

This. I have just started going up to Kinglake again after a fair break. I am still in the last 20% on most Strava segments but I am improving. That is the important thing and the thing that gives me a thrill.

As for a power meter, I know I should invest in one but it just hasn't been the right time.

This. I have just started going up to Kinglake again after a fair break. I am still in the last 20% on most Strava segments but I am improving. That is the important thing and the thing that gives me a thrill.

As for a power meter, I know I should invest in one but it just hasn't been the right time.

If you don't have a power meter or pacing device just ride as often as possible with people who are better than you are. That's what I do as often as possible.

If you don't have a power meter or pacing device just ride as often as possible with people who are better than you are. That's what I do as often as possible.

I do have a Garmin and rely on HR. It does the job for now. As I said, my times and distances are improving.

I do need to find a crew though. The trouble is my longer rides are in the middle of the day during the week. Not many around for that.

I do have a Garmin and rely on HR. It does the job for now. As I said, my times and distances are improving.

I do need to find a crew though. The trouble is my longer rides are in the middle of the day during the week. Not many around for that.

Long rides I find are best done on your own. When I ride with others it's usually a 40 or 50 km ride after everyone finishes work, and it's on. Different riders of different levels but it's go your hardest. Then everyone waits and meets up at the top of the climb.

Thought of you guys when I saw this, nasty stuff

Butterfingers me dropped my bike by the back gate while eating a banana as I was heading out for a ride yesterday. A few light scratches on the right side front fork. Only cosmetic but it’s annoyed the s**t out of me.
It’s a matte black bike and I went and bought some solid black nail polish and gave the scratches a light going over with it. It looks ok but I want it as close to original as possible.
My question is, does anyone know a good matte black touch up paint for this sort of thing? Might head to super cheap auto tomorrow. And what sort of prepping does the affected area need? Keep in mind it’s pretty light scratching of the paint. Not deep enough to impact the carbon. I’m not really sure I want to be sandpapering it. Someone recommended some stuff called plexus, but I’ve never heard of it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back