Disciplinary process

Remove this Banner Ad

Wasn't aware that changes had been made. But for someone to be charged:

1. The ref has to confirm he did not have a full view of the incident. If he can't do that no charges will be laid.

2. The matter then gets referred to a panel of 3 former refs, if they unanimously agree it was a red card the player gets charged.

In the cases today the panel (Wolstenholme, Wiley and Dunn) voted 3-0 in favour of a Bellend red card, 2-1 in favour of Yaya red.

It's a process that IMO is better than it used to be, but still not really good enough. I know they are hamstrung a bit by FIFA rules, so if a ref sees it they can't do anything. But it's just too open to the subjectiveness of three blokes who all have their own biases and standards.

To be honest I'd love to know who the one that thought Yaya should have had a yellow was. I'm guessing Dunn.

Wasn't aware that changes had been made. But for someone to be charged:

1. The ref has to confirm he did not have a full view of the incident. If he can't do that no charges will be laid.

2. The matter then gets referred to a panel of 3 former refs, if they unanimously agree it was a red card the player gets charged.

In the cases today the panel (Wolstenholme, Wiley and Dunn) voted 3-0 in favour of a Bellend red card, 2-1 in favour of Yaya red.

It's a process that IMO is better than it used to be, but still not really good enough. I know they are hamstrung a bit by FIFA rules, so if a ref sees it they can't do anything. But it's just too open to the subjectiveness of three blokes who all have their own biases and standards.

To be honest I'd love to know who the one that thought Yaya should have had a yellow was. I'm guessing Dunn.
Problem with this system is that it only takes 33% of the panel to be corrupt/incompetent for the wrong decision to be made. 2-1 majority should = ban with the benefit of endless slow motion replays imo

Remove this Banner Ad

Back