Opinion Domestic Politics BF style

Remove this Banner Ad

Whereas you could actually do a lot of good with 360bn that would improve the lives of people currently living.

I am fully aware of that, but I dispute the concept that our military is so insignificant compared to China that we may as well not even bother with it, and that any potential conflict comes down to nothing more the quantity of one's armed forces. That has often shown to not be the case in reality. Every bit of hardware helps.

Besides, I am led to believe from everyone talking to Papa G about Ukraine, that China are a sure thing to invade us and he's a sure thing to chicken out.

The point he's making is if we're at the point of all out military conflict with China, we have bigger worries than whether we have a handful of nuclear subs.

The threat of that kind of massive global conflict is still relatively low, because of the whole mutually assured destruction thing. E.g. IF it happened we're ****ed anyway and a few subs aren't gonna save us.

Whereas you could actually do a lot of good with 360bn that would improve the lives of people currently living.

Yes that and also, we’re about as much under threat of Chinese attack as an alien invasion.

What’s the Chinese gonna do? If they drop a bomb on Sydney they’ll kill as many Chinese as aussies anyway.

and they’re not povo students either, they’re kids driving audis and taking up the $900 rentals in my neighbourhood. The amount of wealthy Chinese families that would have people here is insane.

The amount of Chinese owned buildings here would be off the charts also.

They would want to be some very smart bombs.

lol that you think an authoritarian dictatorship would care about collateral damage and friendly fire.

Totalitarian dictators still have to keep the wealthy and connected on-side.

As I’ve said several times, these subs aren’t a deterrent against China, they’re the cost to be in the club we’re in.

You could argue the club is the deterrent… maybe.

Totalitarian dictators still have to keep the wealthy and connected on-side.

As I’ve said several times, these subs aren’t a deterrent against China, they’re the cost to be in the club we’re in.

You could argue the club is the deterrent… maybe.
Lol, the wealthy and connected wouldn't be rooting around in Sydney. They're probably the upper middle of Chinese society.

Yes that and also, we’re about as much under threat of Chinese attack as an alien invasion.

What’s the Chinese gonna do? If they drop a bomb on Sydney they’ll kill as many Chinese as aussies anyway.

and they’re not povo students either, they’re kids driving audis and taking up the $900 rentals in my neighbourhood. The amount of wealthy Chinese families that would have people here is insane.

The amount of Chinese owned buildings here would be off the charts also.

They would want to be some very smart bombs.
But you said it was the government/RBA/negative gearing who were causing housing unaffordability? Now it's "wealthy Chinese families in your neighbourhood". Your incessant whining is all over the shop.

When was the last big naval battle again?

Who thinks China is going to enter in a full scale all out attack with the west?

If China is willing to attack / invade Australia things must already be so dire and so far gone a few subs isn’t a consideration.

Also, as I mentioned elsewhere, we’re paying billions for subs to keep china out of a country they already own a chunk of.

This reminds me of something

We’re not buying subs to deter China

We’re buying subs to keep our allies happy

This assumes that China will always be our biggest trading partner.

The submarine deal is preparing for a future where they are not.

But you said it was the government/RBA/negative gearing who were causing housing unaffordability? Now it's "wealthy Chinese families in your neighbourhood". Your incessant whining is all over the shop.

Lol wtf? I’m not sure that I’ve gone into any detail about whose to blame about rents other than negative gearing and turning housing into investments has obviously had an affect on driving houses up, which is a pretty well accepted fact.

I think you’ve amalgamated a bunch of different posters arguments into one and leveling it at me.

Also, in what way have I blamed wealthy Chinese families for driving up the rents? I mentioned there’s a lot of well to do young Chinese here (in an argument about why china isn’t about to Dresden Sydney) which is about as undisputed a fact as the sky being blue.

If only i whinged about the true scourge of our times, women being allowed to vote, then I wouldn’t draw your ire.

It will eventually be a minimum of 11 submarines, but possibly 13 - 3 Virginia class subs with the option to buy 2 more, plus 8 new UK designed UK/Australian built AUKUS class subs with US reactors/weapons systems. Plus you're looking at a rotation of 4 US and 1 UK submarines being stationed at Perth throughout the year - and those subs WILL have nuclear missiles. Which is the whole point - once they are under water, China won't know whether it's an Australian sub that has no nuclear weapons or a US/UK sub that does.

13 nuclear submarines would give us more of them than France. Kudos to Albanese for not being a cuck and going the cheap option. Now he's gotta find the money to pay for it.
LOL. More cut and paste BS posing as independent critical assessment.
FrKlkclaAAAehkG.jpeg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Im sure the Collins class submarines were lauded, during war games involving allies, for their stealthy surprise attacks on nuclear submarines.
Im also sure that Kockums were right p1ssed off when the secrets of their ultra silent propulsion/screw technology, used on the Collins class subs, were "mistakenly" divulged to the Americans.

AUKUS best technology - a definite maybe only.

I listened to the utter crap of former LNP leader Kerry Chikarovsky on The Drum, who intimated that these nuke subs were ideal for Aust defence. Wrong. Nuclear presents capacity for long distance travel at high speed. That is not littoral defence of the Australian coastline. The AUKUS subs are destined for activity in another distant theatre of war.
Let me guess where.

Girls at work. NSW election draws near. Unfortunately in the most corrupt state in Australia, I dont have much confidence in Labor either.

Girls at work. NSW election draws near. Unfortunately in the most corrupt state in Australia, I dont have much confidence in Labor either.

NSW politics is a cesspool of factional infighting and corruption- with outside interests heavily involved in every aspect of the political process. And the NSW Labor Party are right in the middle of it all.

The way NSW Labor failed to support Perrottet's proposed introduction of a much needed cashless debit card for pokies is a clear demonstration to me of how they put big business (in this case the NSW Clubs) over working people. Pokies in NSW generate in excess of $100 Billion p.a. for NSW Clubs and there is clear evidence of it being used as a major avenue for money laundering and corruption by international crime syndicates. Introducing a cashless debit card not only gives a real chance of addressing problem gambling but attacking the money laundering issue head on. The NSW Labor Party suggestion is to scrap the idea of a universal cashless system and replace it with a limited 'trial' in a few venues and undertake an academic analysis of the results- which will take years.

As you say, the most corrupt state in Australia and the NSW Labor Party will only make it worse. Sad fact for NSW voters is that which ever party gets to form government, the real power lies elsewhere.

Last edited:
When the feds put a cap on gas prices they do not really factor in that it is downscaled in importance as a % of the total bill.
From Cosmos Magazine:

A bit from there:
A November 2022 report by the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission says average household electricity costs comprise:

• 49% network costs (the poles and wires that deliver the electricity from power plants to consumers)
  • 28% wholesale costs (the cost of generating electricity from solar, wind, hydro, gas or coal-fired power stations)
  • 11% environmental costs
  • 10% retail costs
  • 2% electricity retailer profit margins.
These relative shares change over time. The Australian Energy Regulator says generation makes up around 30 – 40% of the price, a larger share than the ACCC reports.

The poles and wires bit makes up a huge proportion of the bill. With the outsourcing of maintenance for this stuff to private enterprise, its a valid question to ask as to how much of that $ cache goes to profit making, and how much goes to actual maintenance or new development.
2% profit margin to the retailer seems to me to be quite modest, so presumably they are relying upon volume of usage.
How much of any bill increase is directed to sustaining profits in the face of consumers moving to personal solar? ie is this an indicator of a death spiral as the industry seeks to sustain profits.

When the feds put a cap on gas prices they do not really factor in that it is downscaled in importance as a % of the total bill.
From Cosmos Magazine:

A bit from there:
A November 2022 report by the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission says average household electricity costs comprise:

• 49% network costs (the poles and wires that deliver the electricity from power plants to consumers)
  • 28% wholesale costs (the cost of generating electricity from solar, wind, hydro, gas or coal-fired power stations)
  • 11% environmental costs
  • 10% retail costs
  • 2% electricity retailer profit margins.
These relative shares change over time. The Australian Energy Regulator says generation makes up around 30 – 40% of the price, a larger share than the ACCC reports.

The poles and wires bit makes up a huge proportion of the bill. With the outsourcing of maintenance for this stuff to private enterprise, its a valid question to ask as to how much of that $ cache goes to profit making, and how much goes to actual maintenance or new development.
2% profit margin to the retailer seems to me to be quite modest, so presumably they are relying upon volume of usage.
How much of any bill increase is directed to sustaining profits in the face of consumers moving to personal solar? ie is this an indicator of a death spiral as the industry seeks to sustain profits.
Why anyone thinking that selling natural monopolies to private enterprise would make things cheaper is beyond me.

Hillsong keeps popping up, doesn’t it.

An Australian charity watchdog has announced it’s investigating Hillsong, following bombshell allegations the global megachurch engaged in mass money laundering, tax evasion, and fraud, and used church money “to do the kind of shopping that would embarrass a Kardashian.”

Independent MP Andrew Wilkie levied the allegations last Thursday before the Australian Parliament and used parliamentary privilege to make thousands of pages of documents provided by a whistleblower public.

Wilkie specifically alleged that Hillsong earns $80 million more annually than it declares. And he accused Hillsong founder Brian Houston and other church leaders of living large on the church’s dime—“treating private jets like Ubers,” and once using $150,000 of church funds for a “three-day luxury retreat in Cancun, Mexico.”

Brian Houston claimed allegations are “either out of context, misleading, or false.”

However, the Australian Charities and Not-for-profits Commission (ACNC) announced on Friday it’s investigating the claims raised by Wilkie and the whistleblower.

Wilkie also claimed the documents he submitted, most of which have not yet been uploaded online, showed Hillsong gave exorbitant gifts to its pastors. These gifts reportedly include a $6,500 Cartier watch and $2,500 in Louis Vuitton luggage for Bobbie Houston; a $2,500 watch for new Hillsong Global Senior Pastor Phil Dooley; and $15,000 cash to Hillsong International Ministry Director Darren Kitto for his 50th birthday.

Wilkie also accused Pastor Dooley of falsely claiming that “he only flies economy.”

These guys with beards and black outfits seem to be a unique part of western Sydney's Christian community. No wonder GWS can't draw a crowd.

Look more like gym junkie types to me rather than Christians. Or maybe Christian has a new meaning these days.
Are they upset that their vile hatred is being oppressed?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back