Draft Pick 29: Alex Forster

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: FFC Welcomes Pick 29

Alex Forster Position: Medium Defender Height: 189cm Weight: 77kg DOB: 14/07/93 Club: Payneham FC/ Norwood AFL Profile: Alex Forster was selected in the All-Australian team following very consistent performances for South Australia at the NAB AFL Under 18 Championships. He averaged 15.4 disposals at 84.4 per cent efficiency, with five marks. He has clean hands both in the air and on the ground, is composed under pressure and kicks the ball well on both feet. His agility was the standout feature at the NAB AFL Draft Combine with a time of 8.21 seconds for the agility run, placing him in the top 17 per cent. X-factor: “Composure with the ball under pressure by hand and foot.” Q&A with Alex Forster: Which AFL player do you model your game on? Andrew Mackie from Geelong. He reads the play well, has great skills and is a good rebounder. What parts of your game would you like to improve? My strengths are speed, physical strength and endurance. How would your teammates and coaches describe you? I have good decision making skills, a strong ability to read the play and good efficiency. Why do you want to be a professional AFL footballer? I love playing footy and I couldn’t think of anything better than getting to play it professionally. Plus I love the friendships you make.
Alex Forster Height: 189cm Weight: 81kg DOB: 14/7/93 Club: Norwood Draft range: 25-35 Forster was an All Australian half-back flanker at the national carnival who does most things well. He's a busy, team-oriented defender who kicks the ball well off both feet and will quickly win the favour of Alastair Clarkson with his willingness to chase, tackle and smother. Played senior SANFL footy with the Redlegs and didn't look out of place.

South Australian Alex Forster is the third selection for Freo in the Draft.

Pick 29 - Alex Forster - 18yrs, 189cm -

Alex had a very good year playing 8 reserves and 5 League games for Norwood. He played all 5 State championship games and won All Australian selection. He was vice captain of the SA state 18s team this year and is seen as a future club leader. Alex is played mainly as a 3rd tall defender and freed up as often as possible to use his elite kicking skills and ability to read the play very well. He is a great decision maker who remains extremely composed and has clean hands.

http://www.afl.com.au/newsviews/dev...isplay/tabid/13144/newsid/125524/default.aspx

+

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cpKaW6HXFo

+

from the Kinghtmare mock draft

#17 - Alex Forster (SA – Def/Util)
Height: 189cm, Weight: 81kg, DOB: 14/07/1993
Recruited from: Norwood
Style:
Player comparison:
Range: 10-35
Profile: Versatile medium size player. Have seen him mainly down back but can play through the midfield or up forward well. Have seen him do some really nice defensive jobs down back. Has a high skill level and is very duel sided. Strong overhead. Shows some good run and carry with the ball in hand. Was great throughout the U18 champs and form in the later part of the season will likely move him up the rankings further than expected.

The few things I do like form the little bits I've picked up ...

He's played a little bit of SANFL league footy (including finals I think??) which is always a good thing. He's been part of a good program with the Redlegs in SA and everywhere you read talks about good footy brain and skill set which IMO is one of the harder things to get into a player post junior development (though it does happen of course).

With all the hype about beep tests, and agility scores etc. sometimes the value in a player who has shown he can play the game well is lost, he's definitely in the later category. Also think he's probably a good chance to step to AFL level fairly quickly.

Just my relatively uniformed opinion of course.

ooooh another elite ball user, love the sound of Norwood feeding him the ball because of his usage.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/afl/mates-forster-neale-go-to-freo/story-fn525un5-1226205410764

NORWOOD'S Alex Forster spent this afternoon "hanging out" with close mate Lachie Neale as he tried to take his mind off tonight's AFL national draft. Several hours later the 18-year-olds - who grew up together in the state's south east and were junior teammates at Kybybolite Football Club - learnt they would be continuing their footy journey alongside one another after both were selected by Fremantle.

"I spent the afternoon with Lachie," Forster said of Neale, his friend for about 15 years."We were playing a bit of FIFA (soccer) on Playstation actually, just chilled out, hanging out for three or four hours. "The fact we've ended up at the same club is a dream come true, I can't believe it.

The reality of what had happened began to sink for Forster when shortly after his name was called Dockers skipper Matthew Pavlich called him.
"I didn't recognise the number and thought 'I wonder who this is'?
"He answered it and said 'Hey mate, it's Matt Pavlich here', which was so surreal."
Forster will head to Perth this weekend and will likely join Fremantle's pre-season training next week.

Nice article. I didn't know Forster and Neale were good mates. Good to see the skipper welcoming the new players.

That makes 3 Kyby players in the AFL (including Jack Trengove) with more coming next year hopefully, I don't think I will make it though :p

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Looks taller than 189 in his highlight video? Old stats?

I like the look of him. Classy, composed, will play next year IMO.

Agree entirely. Video is class and SA papers have said how his SANFL league team mates would give the ball to him to distribute.

Agree entirely. Video is class and SA papers have said how his SANFL league team mates would give the ball to him to distribute.

That is not too bad an accolade is it, and he has nice height too, while not exactly a KPP prospect at this stage.

Predraft write up on Mundy
189cms, 82kgs
Pacy key defender who has a long, accurate kick and excellent composure. Good spoiling and smothering skills and is capable of going forward.

I see some simalarities, not much said about Forster's pace but has good agility, great kick and composure, fingers crossed were on another winner.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back