Autopsy Draw

Remove this Banner Ad

I can't disagree with Lloyd: we did play poorly for the majority of the night.

We have to perform better when we have prime time slots
We had a horrible 40 minute stretch after half time. Take that out and we're fine. That's not majority of the game.

If we played so poorly then why did we end up on the same score as Collingwood, unless they played poorly too.

We had a horrible 40 minute stretch after half time. Take that out and we're fine. That's not majority of the game.

If we played so poorly then why did we end up on the same score as Collingwood, unless they played poorly too.
I think we did play poorly because they made us.

The fact we were close enough and good enough to pinch 2 points is the good part.

I think we did play poorly because they made us.

The fact we were close enough and good enough to pinch 2 points is the good part.
We were the better team in the first and kept Pies goalless in the second. We didn't play exceptionally well but we were definitely the better team for half the game. Not saying we played well, just saying we didn't play poorly for the "majority of the game" like what was said.

Collingwood are definitely our kryptonite so to get a draw is a massive thing, even if just to give the boys some belief (and 2 points).
This is what I take out of it too. We've taken two points off a team that plays a style that we've struggled against in recent times. Conversely, we seem to match up well against teams like Melbourne and Geelong.

I'm really looking forward to next weekend as it will be a barometer fit the rest of the season.

We were the better team in the first and kept Pies goalless in the second. We didn't play exceptionally well but we were definitely the better team for half the game. Not saying we played well, just saying we didn't play poorly for the "majority of the game" like what was said.
I'd agree with that. It's only really the 3rd where we were ****. The rest it was pretty close.

Wagner I thought was very good in the time that he played, he was quite influential off half back during our comeback.
I loved what Wagner did, the energy he brought but....it's probably worth remembering that he came on when pretty much everyone else was cooked and Pies down on rotations. He should be playing next week I hope as he does give us leg speed.

I loved what Wagner did, the energy he brought but....it's probably worth remembering that he came on when pretty much everyone else was cooked and Pies down on rotations. He should be playing next week I hope as he does give us leg speed.
That's true but we've also got the small sample size at the end of last year where he looked really good and gave us that same run and speed.

Positives: Collingwood are good when its tight, so to get away with 2 point after their scoring shots is something. Pearce's leadership and the last goal., very good.

Negative: It was in Perth, so I would like to think we would be better for longer. We let them have too many shots.

Maybe: The last shot at goal was gettable.

Delean is just barely scrapping by v mature agers in state league. The next step up would be incredibly daunting. He’s not close to AFL level, probably not this season.

It was sad seeing Schulz struggle all game. He just doesn’t gel with Collingwood. He would be perfect for us atm. But what can you do.
Just on Shultz , I think you are spot on. He seems to struggle with their game plan v ours.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Delean is just barely scrapping by v mature agers in state league. The next step up would be incredibly daunting. He’s not close to AFL level, probably not this season.

It was sad seeing Schulz struggle all game. He just doesn’t gel with Collingwood. He would be perfect for us atm. But what can you do.
I wouldn’t be surprised if Schultz finds himself in the VFL when all the pies players are fit.
I’d play Harvey Harrison and probably Joe Richards ahead of him right now. Harrison was excellent I thought.

Elliott is on the way back soon, and they play Hoskin Elliott as a high half forward usually.
He’s going to struggle to find a spot inthe first team and McRae wont shy away from a tough selection decision if it needs to be made.

Is our play style particularly taxing for ourselves and opponents?

Well documented how teams have struggled the week after playing us. Could possibly explain the goal kicking woes too.

Having said that apparently we play a chippy chippy uncontested mark game? somehow littered with overhandballing at the same time
A few weeks ago a guy from Champion Data said we play the game between the arcs, which means having to defend a huge amount of territory. Not sure if still true but it would explain why other teams are struggling after playing us.

On the note of over-posession I've re-watched the start of the third because like others have mentioned I feel like we squander our opportunities and open the door for the Pies to get back in the game at this point.

We win the first centre clearance through Serong who handballs it to Johnson and he fumbles. We then win the ball back after Josh Daicos soccer's it forward and we handball it 13 times before Walker kicks deep into the forward line and Sonny doesn't get a clear high free kick.

But Christ - what the **** are we doing handballing it 13 times in a row?
We also win the second clearance of the quarter through Serong again who handballs to Young who handballs it back to Serong but misses and turns it over.

We in effect managed to win the first 2 centre clearance of the game and turned that into 0 inside 50s.

It's a huge problem.

Let's compare that to Collingwood who won the next 2 centre clearances - both hack kicks forward by Crisp and Pendlebury. The first one is a turnover however their team defence locks us into our back half and the managed a goal from a forward 50 stoppage. The next creates a contested piece of play that very quickly turns into a shot on goal that falls short from Bobby Hill.

I understand the handballing to create run in transition - but when we do it out of stoppages - particularly centre bounces I feel we are shooting ourselves in the foot.

Last edited:
A few weeks ago a guy from Champion Data said we play the game between the arcs, which means having to defend a huge amount of territory. Not sure if still true but it would explain why other teams are struggling after playing us.
that actually makes a lot of sense.

That also seems to be true as our games have the least amount of inside 50s.

On the note of over-posession I've re-watched the start of the third because like others have mentioned I feel like we squander our opportunities and open the door for the Pies to get back in the game at this point.

We win the first centre clearance through Serong who handballs it to Johnson and he fumbles. We then win the ball back after Josh Daicos soccer's it forward and we handball it 13 times before Walker kicks deep into the forward line and Sonny doesn't get a clear high free kick.

We also win the second clearance of the quarter through Serong again who handballs to Young who handballs it back to Serong but misses and turns it over.

We in effect managed to win the first 2 centre clearance of the game and turned that into 0 inside 50s.

It's a huge problem.

Let's compare that to Collingwood who won the next 2 centre clearances - both hack kicks forward by Crisp and Pendlebury. The first one is a turnover however their team defence locks us into our back half and the managed a goal from a forward 50 stoppage. The next creates a contested piece of play that very quickly turns into a shot on goal that falls short from Bobby Hill.

I understand the handballing to create run in transition - but when we do it out of stoppages - particularly centre bounces I feel we are shooting ourselves in the foot.
IMO these are all consequences of not having confidence that those further up the field will win a contest. They'd rather over possess the ball than risk a turnover up the field.

Collingwood bank on their forwards doing the job

IMO these are all consequences of not having confidence that those further up the field will win a contest. They'd rather over possess the ball than risk a turnover up the field.

Collingwood bank on their forwards doing the job
How are we better off turning the ball over in the middle of the field then in the forward line though?

How are we better off turning the ball over in the middle of the field then in the forward line though?
I suppose the idea is it is better to turn over in congestion where you can put pressure on, than in open play where the opposition can quickly rebound.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Schultz finds himself in the VFL when all the pies players are fit.
I’d play Harvey Harrison and probably Joe Richards ahead of him right now. Harrison was excellent I thought.

Elliott is on the way back soon, and they play Hoskin Elliott as a high half forward usually.
He’s going to struggle to find a spot inthe first team and McRae wont shy away from a tough selection decision if it needs to be made.
Probably won’t play finals. He’s been poor this season. Shame. Guess the grass isn’t always greener on the other side

It's a huge problem.

Feel that’s solely on Serong. He needs to take the initiative and just clear the zone and allow forwards to contend 6v6. Didn’t help that Serong handballs it BACK towards defensive 50. Johnson tried to be cute a few times around the 50. Collingwood hadn’t even touched the ball at that point. Imagine winning a centre clearance to end up in the defensive 50.

Look at Daicos, Crisp, Pendlebury. Elite midfielders who just hack kick away from centre. It crates chaos, puts Fremantle under huge pressure down back. It’s what Collingwood and tbh Fremantle should want. By the time this handball chain finishes with a kick, the defensive zone is set.

Umpires were on the prowl for time wasting I reckon. Showed in the first 1/4, McCreery pinged ,asked the umpire why. His response, time wasting, 50 metres.
Half way mark ladt quarter grom a scrimmage , Darcy has the ball as he gets off the ground, umpire don't forget, hand the ball back to me.
Then of courseTHE decision.

It's a huge problem.

Brilliantly summarised, it needs to be JLos number one focus.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back