Player Watch Edward Allan

Remove this Banner Ad

It was interesting hearing Hardwick on AFL360 talk about the huge gulf between VFL and AFL. It's on show constantly with young mids
which is prob why he prefers to give them afl exposure.
I think he said, one AFL game is the equilivant of 15 VFL games in terms of development.

The politics page is a cesspool of foreign bacteria that flows from high up in the mountains of Tajikistan all the way to the red sea. It makes the occasional detour through Russia but ultimately ends up in the Sewers Canal

I'm pretty sure most of it ends up in Werribee.

It was interesting hearing Hardwick on AFL360 talk about the huge gulf between VFL and AFL. It's on show constantly with young mids
Absolutely and for me at least it’s part of the reason why it’s good to see kids coming through that can play multiple roles. Say Parker getting a miracle debut this week he might spend a large chunk of his afternoon v Davey this week and Durdan next week. Long term though he might be penciled in for a midfield role. The same applies for Hazbolt when he gets his chance. There’s no such luxury for the more one position types in Allan and Macrae especially before the attrition of the season bites.

For that reason, I'm not a big fan of how they've developed Macrae purely as a mid. I'm not sure about Mitchell, but the rest of our AFL midfield started their AFL careers on a flank or wing and moved into the midfield when they were up to AFL speed. Seems a better way to me.

I can see why they do it though, with the other AFL roles being more complicated than they used to be, they've got to make sure a kid has nailed running patterns and positioning for the role.

It's tough on a bloke they're developing only for mid. At the moment, if we needed to bring in a mid for a final, I don't think it'd come from one of the VFL mids, I think it'd be Lippa or even Josh or Sidey moved into the midfield with Harrison or Bytel to replace whoever they moved into the midfield.

For that reason, I'm not a big fan of how they've developed Macrae purely as a mid. I'm not sure about Mitchell, but the rest of our AFL midfield started their AFL careers on a flank or wing and moved into the midfield when they were up to AFL speed. Seems a better way to me.

I can see why they do it though, with the other AFL roles being more complicated than they used to be, they've got to make sure a kid has nailed running patterns and positioning for the role.

It's tough on a bloke they're developing only for mid. At the moment, if we needed to bring in a mid for a final, I don't think it'd come from one of the VFL mids, I think it'd be Lippa or even Josh or Sidey moved into the midfield with Harrison or Bytel to replace whoever they moved into the midfield.
I remember at some stage he was doubling up as a half forward (maybe 2022?), but they've definitely moved away from that. I don't think he was particularly strong there.

I didn’t say April - I said in season.
I’ve made the point previously ONE player in the team is not going to detract from our chances to win. That is just being completely disrespectful to the other 22.
Giving Macrae, and Sullivan games in season will allow us to assess their ability to step up.
So that we are prepared if and when the time comes.
Look at what our role players did against Port. 1 player out doesn't matter if you can replace him. Noble or Markov isn't going to make a difference, but Finn or Allan instead of Mitchell will often make a big difference. It's a heap of contests with a less effective player involved in them.

Last edited:

The challenge you’ve pointed out previously is the quality of our flanks. They’re significantly better than the guys stuck in the two’s especially with Lipinski and Steele finding form. Until there’s injuries these guys have to either absolutely dominate on the track or at VFL level and preferably both.

The challenge you’ve pointed out previously is the quality of our flanks. They’re significantly better than the guys stuck in the two’s especially with Lipinski and Steele finding form. Until there’s injuries these guys have to either absolutely dominate on the track or at VFL level and preferably both.
Yeah. Our flanks are far more important than they used to be and the blokes in the team all have a trait or two that is an AFL weapon for their role. Markov is the only one pushing without injuries. But if we do get into a strong ladder position we'll probably rotate a couple of blokes through for depth in case it's necessary. Not as exciting as some of the kids, but I think it'll be Bytel and Sullivan. Now's not the time though. We've got to bank wins and nail that cohesiveness.

Yeah. Our flanks are far more important than they used to be and the blokes in the team all have a trait or two that is an AFL weapon for their role. Markov is the only one pushing without injuries. But if we do get into a strong ladder position we'll probably rotate a couple of blokes through for depth in case it's necessary. Not as exciting as some of the kids, but I think it'll be Bytel and Sullivan. Now's not the time though. We've got to bank wins and nail that cohesiveness.
I think we’re on the same page - you just want to start rotating when we are in a stronger ladder position - which is fair enough.

I think we’re on the same page - you just want to start rotating when we are in a stronger ladder position - which is far enough.
Unfortunately it might be moot. Our smalls have had an awesome run with injuries, hopefully it holds, but I wouldn't bet on it. If they do stay fit though, get on us for the flag.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The politics page is a cesspool of foreign bacteria that flows from high up in the mountains of Tajikistan all the way to the red sea. It makes the occasional detour through Russia but ultimately ends up in the Sewers Canal
Just a little tip, when there’s a line through their name their account has been cancelled.
He/she won’t be able to respond to you.

I don't know that all our injuries will rule people out for next week. We also have De Goey, Mitchell, Schultz and McCreery to come back

McCrerry has already been Ruled Out

Mitchell and De Goey not 100% to play

I don't know that all our injuries will rule people out for next week. We also have De Goey, Mitchell, Schultz and McCreery to come back
In his presser today Fly ruled out Howe, Bytel, McCreery, Mihocek and Elliott and Harrison was extremely unlikely given it’s a six day turn around. Also basically confirmed that De Goey and Mitchell are 50/50 at best. The only player guaranteed to be returning this week is Schultz.

But we will likely have 3 forced changes assuming we don’t have any injuries show up from the players who played out the game like Mihocek last week.

Carryover emergency wouldn’t play.
I know that. I'm just pointing out that he didn't play in the VFL yesterday. So he's not getting picked on any good form from this weekend which is not an ideal preparation for an AFL debut.

At the rate of our injuries we may be left with no choice.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back