Opinion Eric MacKenzie

Should Eric be on our list in 2018?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

He is a definite keep and I would be OK to offer 2 years on say $400k. I believe he was on about $650k but has not been at that level. Which clubs need him? Pies and Demons would benefit and possibly Adelaide if Lever goes.

I love the way he has just got on with his football despite the obvious calls for "sack him" and "what a disappointment".

So the issue for me is who are we playing and how many talls do we need defensively? He is not genuinely good on the smalls so we might need to pick horses for courses as Yeo makes a good 3rd tall and we at times will not need Barrass, McGovern, Mackenzie and Yeo down back.

Missed the boat to trade him last year unfortunately.

Don't rate him at all these days but it's worth keeping him as depth.
Last year we would have been trading him with a year to go on an expensive contract after showing little coming back from a knee reco. We would have got a horrible pick for him.

Given he is showing some good signs and considering the cap increase, if he is willing to sign for 300-350k that would be a really good result for us I think.

Keep on reduced terms, he has been solid lately. Would even disagree with posts above and say he holds more trade currency now than he did this time last year

I'd give him a year. After his first few "comebacks" earlier this year I was well an truly in the delist camp. In the latter half of the year though while he's far from back to his best, he has shown he still has something to offer. Maybe another pre-season will be just what he needs. Dixon towled us up again, but he did that when EMac wasn't playing too. I don't think any of our other defenders at this point are any more up to the task of shutting down opposition power forwards.

Ok so this year seems to be a bust.

Do we give him yet another one year deal for 2019 if he doesn't retire? He'll be 30 going on 31.

Depends on his injuries. He wouldn't be the worst insurance, I would play him ahead of Schofield, but apparently it is both feet which are giving him grief, and he has history of taking awhile to get going from LTIs.

Ask in 7 weeks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Back