EXPANDING the SANFL - PROMOTION and RELEGATION ... its time!

Should the SANFL adopt promotion + relegation?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

No the clubs were warned this would happen by it's loyal supporter base, did you think they were joking. We heard enough about it from supporter groups protesting the introduction of afl reserves, were you living in a cave at the time?

It wasn't an idle threat as we have discovered

Good for them.

I'm not talking about dead wood, to grow you need to engage a new audience.

The SANFL needs to change, if it remains the same it will continue its slow death.

Good for them.

I'm not talking about dead wood, to grow you need to engage a new audience.

The SANFL needs to change, if it remains the same it will continue its slow death.

Have you missed something they have radically changed it by introducing two development teams. You talk about needing to change how much more can you change a league FFS.

By making this change they had an idea that it was going to change the way the league was viewed. There was so much vocal protesting, I am surprised anyone can't understand why the numbers have dropped with the fact what was said, supporters had rung clubs to voice their opinion but were ignored.

Unfortunately the clubs were looking at the $$$$ not their supporters.

But now they will have to work out another way of attracting supporters to view a league with a different feel about it where there are inequities and different philosophy between clubs.

By opening up the league as a relegation league that will no doubt dilute it further with amateur leagues having bugger all supporters apart from families of the players and past players, you don't have to be Einstein to work that out.

How about you come up with a solution that is logical and makes sense!

Personally I can see the SANFL continuing on and being supported by the AFl not worrying about numbers which is fine, after all they supported the AFL by compromising their league for the AFL even with the knowledge it would lose supporters and change their whole leagues purpose. It was a pretty big decision and compromise

They should expand with a club from the North East merged from TTP, Modbury and Golden Grove. And if I get lip about that killing clubs, it will, but it'll also most likely have a giant supporter base, good financial standing (the NE area isn't a poor one), a good talent pool and instant rivalries with Centrals and Norwood.

An Adelaide Hills team might work but I can see a few issues with that. And anyone who thinks promotion/relegation is a good idea has no understanding whatsoever of finance.

They should expand with a club from the North East merged from TTP, Modbury and Golden Grove. And if I get lip about that killing clubs, it will, but it'll also most likely have a giant supporter base, good financial standing (the NE area isn't a poor one), a good talent pool and instant rivalries with Centrals and Norwood.

An Adelaide Hills team might work but I can see a few issues with that. And anyone who thinks promotion/relegation is a good idea has no understanding whatsoever of finance.

I suppose it would work if they are happy to get 200 or 300 supporters and them those poor bloody volunteers at those clubs may have to put in the double the effort to run a larger club

Have you missed something they have radically changed it by introducing two development teams. You talk about needing to change how much more can you change a league FFS.

By making this change they had an idea that it was going to change the way the league was viewed. There was so much vocal protesting, I am surprised anyone can't understand why the numbers have dropped with the fact what was said, supporters had rung clubs to voice their opinion but were ignored.

Unfortunately the clubs were looking at the $$$$ not their supporters.

But now they will have to work out another way of attracting supporters to view a league with a different feel about it where there are inequities and different philosophy between clubs.

By opening up the league as a relegation league that will no doubt dilute it further with amateur leagues having bugger all supporters apart from families of the players and past players, you don't have to be Einstein to work that out.

How about you come up with a solution that is logical and makes sense!

Personally I can see the SANFL continuing on and being supported by the AFl not worrying about numbers which is fine, after all they supported the AFL by compromising their league for the AFL even with the knowledge it would lose supporters and change their whole leagues purpose. It was a pretty big decision and compromise

Thank you for your opinion.

I agree with the AFL supporting the State League. The SANFL is likely to become fully dictated by the fat cats in the AFL, who will likely structure additional teams into the competition from Mt Gambier, the Iron Triangle and other regions to capture a clearer representation of SA's talent pool for their draft.

I agree with the AFL supporting the State League. The SANFL is likely to become fully dictated by the fat cats in the AFL, who will likely structure additional teams into the competition from Mt Gambier, the Iron Triangle and other regions to capture a clearer representation of SA's talent pool for their draft.

No chance as they will have to put more money into it and maybe need to take funds from the eastern states to do so. What are the chances of that happening?

Better to be dictated by AFL fat cats with money to run the league and develop players then have SANFL fat cats who siphon money out of the league and produce SFA at the national draft.

Better to be dictated by AFL fat cats with money to run the league and develop players then have SANFL fat cats who siphon money out of the league and produce SFA at the national draft.
You might want to look to Tasmania and see what disasters await if AFL fat cats run the SANFL. Tasmanian football has been killed off, at times seemingly deliberately. If you want a a strong SANFL, you have keep the AFL out as much as possible.

You might want to look to Tasmania and see what disasters await if AFL fat cats run the SANFL. Tasmanian football has been killed off, at times seemingly deliberately. If you want a a strong SANFL, you have keep the AFL out as much as possible.
A sane and sensible reply. As compared to the previous paranoid and reactive hostile approach that defies reason.

I am close with WAFL seniors who have constantly fought the AFL fat cats. Keep the SANFL and WAFL free of those guys.

The Centrals Elimination final today will draw some reaction that wont be productive. Some immediate thoughts:

AFL Reserve Restrictions
- as a Norwood and Crows supporter i see vale in restricted the SANFL Crows in AFL listed players
- introduce loan system in SANFL where Crows could loan Hunter and Lowden for example allowing them to focus on two primary talls. Loans would be for 6 month periods
- Allow both reserve clubs to play finals

Promotion & Relegation
- great ideas, 12 team or 8 team competition works with bottom 2 relegated to Div 1 and 2 clubs coming up
- look to establish State Championship League in which 2 would go up from SANFL, 2 from WAFL and possibly another 4 from selected leagues elsewhere

I am close with WAFL seniors who have constantly fought the AFL fat cats. Keep the SANFL and WAFL free of those guys.

The Centrals Elimination final today will draw some reaction that wont be productive. Some immediate thoughts:

AFL Reserve Restrictions
- as a Norwood and Crows supporter i see vale in restricted the SANFL Crows in AFL listed players
- introduce loan system in SANFL where Crows could loan Hunter and Lowden for example allowing them to focus on two primary talls. Loans would be for 6 month periods

Promotion & Relegation
- great ideas, 12 team or 8 team competition works with bottom 2 relegated to Div 1 and 2 clubs coming up
- look to establish State Championship League in which 2 would go up from SANFL, 2 from WAFL and possibly another 4 from selected leagues elsewhere

I like this.

AFL Reserve Restrictions

Promotion & Relegation

Absolute garbage. Will never happen.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Absolute garbage. Will never happen.
O.k Dujon

Rather than making a simplistic and unintelligent rebuttal, how about you actually provide some constructed statement to the contrary??

For all those happy to see SANFL slowly decline, along with WAFL and other state competitions, how do you think the game will thrive moving forward?

Apart from amateur sports, name another national sport that has no other semi or fully professional league underneath the top tier competition?

Port Adelaide vs. Port District or Portland?
Norwood vs. Norwood Payneham or Rostrevor?
Central District vs. Salisbury North?
Sturt vs. Goodwood?
Glenelg vs. Sacred Heart?
Woodville-West Torrens vs. Henley?

jeez, talk about biting the hand that feeds
Port Adelaide vs. Woodville haha

Clubs have had their third meeting in the last couple of months to discuss the reserves debacle and now it seems the SANFL may be willing to act. Has been a proposal to limit the AFL listed players to 14 each week, cant see the two AFL clubs being happy and it will need a majority of votes from the SANFL clubs to get up

Clubs have had their third meeting in the last couple of months to discuss the reserves debacle and now it seems the SANFL may be willing to act. Has been a proposal to limit the AFL listed players to 14 each week, cant see the two AFL clubs being happy and it will need a majority of votes from the SANFL clubs to get up
John Olsen has stated previously that the current setup will remain until the foreseble future.

I don't know what their issue is.

John Olsen has stated previously that the current setup will remain until the foreseble future.

Don't know or don't want to know?

Look around all competitions since 2014 and there's a clear trend of AFL reserves teams playing and dominating finals. East Perth have done it, Port have done it, Adelaide have done it Peel Thunder have also after being a basket case since inception. In the VFL stand alone clubs have pretty well been cheated out of grand finals due to AFL clubs having player qualification rules overturned for the benefit of another comp and by one man signing off on it. All this while they have enormous advantages while stand alone clubs are hog tied with funding, access to players, salary caps, players working full time and lacking facilities.

If you can't see it then you just don't want to.

To me, limiting reserves teams to 14 players isn't the answer as it defeats the purpose of them being in the comps in the first place.
In the SANFL I still believe that they should be barred from finals. All 10 teams play for the minor premiership, make more of it like in the A-League and then come finals Adelaide and Power break away and play a three game series at Alberton for a number of charities. They are always guaranteed good hitouts come September and can have extended benches, shorter quarters and play a player for only one quarter if they wish.
Meanwhile the SANFL clubs, working to a seperate ladder with no reserves clubs, play a top 4 finals series.

I really don't think Adelaide care about an SANFL flag and if Power want to really honour their SANFL history they can field a standalone team, going by some of the comments on the Port board they don't give a stuff about the comp.

Everyone gets what they need out of the comp, it's not perfect but there's a thing called a salary cap and it should be adhered to in some degree just as it is in the AFL.

I hope the SANFL clubs are united in real change.

Olsen wont get a say if tbe clubs revolt.
Cant believe people cant see how the AFL reserves sides are killing all the local comps. Rather ironic the AFL are so strict with salary caps but are more than happy for the reserves sides to have a cap 20 times greater than their local counterparts. If nothing is done soon with continued falling attendences the comp will be on death row

Without the AFL and the AFL clubs, the SANFL is all but dead and irrelevant clubs like Glenelg fold or merge.

The WAFL situtation is different as West Coast and Freo have taken over clubs like how Carlton took over the Bullants in the VFL.

Think the Adelaide Oval stadium deal will keep the SANFL going?

Adelaide pay the league nearly half a million dollars a year to the SANFL (to be fair, Port should as well). SANFL won't say no to that and neither should the clubs.

The VFL isn't as AFL reserve dominated as many think.... While Geelong and Box Hill are strong teams they are hardly dominating.

Without the AFL and the AFL clubs, the SANFL is all but dead and irrelevant clubs like Glenelg fold or merge.

The WAFL situtation is different as West Coast and Freo have taken over clubs like how Carlton took over the Bullants in the VFL.

Think the Adelaide Oval stadium deal will keep the SANFL going?

Adelaide pay the league nearly half a million dollars a year to the SANFL (to be fair, Port should as well). SANFL won't say no to that and neither should the clubs.

The VFL isn't as AFL reserve dominated as many think.... While Geelong and Box Hill are strong teams they are hardly dominating.
Western Bulldogs v Melbourne GF this year in the VFL and only 1 flag from the last 5 won by a non aligned club, yeah its not dominated by the AFL reserves.
The SANFL clubs can survive off the SMA deal and sale of AAMI without the money given to them by the AFL sides. Members, sponsors and supporters have dropped off alarmingly since this debacle, I wont be renewing membership next year or continuing our decent sponsorship arrangement unless things change and many others feel the same. Revenue at my club alone has decreased by about 80k this year and set to go further backwards next year.
Crows give my club 50k a year to be in the comp, we are averaging approx 500 less supporters each game which equals roughly $5k less revenue each home game just on gate sales alone. 10 home games per year so there is yor 50k and thats without lost bar and canteen sales.

The AFL reserves in the SANFL are hardly dominating....Port made the GF vs Norwood, got within a kick of winning and haven't been strong since. This season is the first time Adelaide have been performing decent and lost the prelim to a strong Sturt side.
Its only a matter of time and they must never be allowed to win one

The AFL reserves in the SANFL are hardly dominating....Port made the GF vs Norwood, got within a kick of winning and haven't been strong since. This season is the first time Adelaide have been performing decent and lost the prelim to a strong Sturt side.

Did end the 2015 minor round in second spot..

Back