EXPANDING the SANFL - PROMOTION and RELEGATION ... its time!

Should the SANFL adopt promotion + relegation?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

The recent drop off is due to Adelaide Oval.

An extra 15,000 at Crows games and 20,000 at Port game (lower base) is where the SANFL people are probably going...or dying off either way.
Disagree but it's hard to tell how much of an effect AO has had as both AO and the reserves has come on at the same time.
Direct evidence is that I haven't met one person say that they're not going to the SANFL because of AO. Yet I'd know 4-5 people that aren't going to the SANFL due to the reserves.
I'd think that most people going to AO that didn't go to the footy before wouldn't be going to the SANFL anyway and most people that aren't going to the SANFL now wouldn't go to AFL games either.
The drop off at SANFL level is largely due to the diehards being pissed off. Throw into the fact that Port reserves are going crap and you've got 1000-2000 per game not going due to that alone.

Wow 2000 a game yep going gangbusters.

Get rid of the AFL teams and watch the crowds come flodding back.

Ha ha WTF ever.

The horse would have bolted, decision was made

Unfortunately there was more to the decision than we can see, if you think it's coincidental the state government handed over the rights to running AO you are mistaken.

The state government needed a return on their investment in AO, so instead of funding the SANFL and the sport of football annually they have given them an income stream from their asset

In return they sold their soul.

Last edited:

I think AO has contributed to an extent. 15K more people going to the AFL on any given week compared to 2013 will have an impact. Impossible to measure though.

Port supporters underestimate the discontent/disrespect felt by the members of the 8 SANFL clubs regarding the reserves decision. You could count on one hand the number of people who don't have a Crows or Port allegiance who think it's been a successful initiative by the league.

As mentioned above, Port selling out the Magpies hasn't helped the league's attendances either. They're rivalling South and West for the poorest home and away attendances, even the Ravens' games attract 400 more on average.

Last edited:
I think AO has contributed to an extent. 15K more people going to the AFL on any given week compared to 2013 will have an impact. Impossible to measure though.

Port supporters underestimate the discontent/disrespect felt by the members of the 8 SANFL clubs regarding the reserves decision. You could count on one hand the number of people who don't have a Crows or Port allegiance who think it's been a successful initiative by the league.

As mentioned above, Port selling out the Magpies hasn't helped the league's attendances either. They're rivalling South and West for the poorest home and away attendances, even the Ravens' games attract 400 more on average.
Anyone who goes to see their SANFL club play most weeks for the last 10 years or more will tell you exactly where the drop off is from, when you don't see 10 or more supporters that you'd normally see every week and you know that they were all against the reserves teams entering its obvious, people are pissed off.
I wonder how many of the posters on this topic have been going to see their SANFL club every week for over 10 years, I wonder how many have been going every week in the last few years. Not many is my bet.
I don't see how they can get a good gauge on the reasons why crowds are so poor if they haven't witnessed it over a good period of time.
It's f***ing obvious.

Anyone who goes to see their SANFL club play most weeks for the last 10 years or more will tell you exactly where the drop off is from, when you don't see 10 or more supporters that you'd normally see every week and you know that they were all against the reserves teams entering its obvious, people are pissed off.
I wonder how many of the posters on this topic have been going to see their SANFL club every week for over 10 years, I wonder how many have been going every week in the last few years. Not many is my bet.
I don't see how they can get a good gauge on the reasons why crowds are so poor if they haven't witnessed it over a good period of time.
It's f***ing obvious.
I have been going week in week out for close to 40 years and a lot of people I used to see just don't attend anymore and most of them have said they have stopped going since the AFL sides came in.
It's had a huge effect on crowds and I find it a struggle to be bothered going now especially to the games involving the reserves sides.

Reading today's advertiser, is McDermott slow or just dumb! There was enough reaction by the SANFL supporters to realize that the introduction of AFZl reserves, where the competition was no longer the same or equal for all!, would see the loss of supporters! Now the supporters have left he is asking why! People voiced their opinion then voted with their attendance! The clubs let their supporters down by voting in the teams, they now must live with their decision!

The silent vote is the worst type of vote as it's hard to fix, but it usually occurs when you have had enough and you just move on, very unlikely you will get these supporters back as they have moved onto something else!

The SANFL and it's clubs unfortunately were trying to keep everyone happy and it has burnt themselves the most!

Where's the cut off for relegation? Let me guess, bottom two? Either way you look at it Port Power Reserves are on the cusp of history and with Norwood finding some form and Glenelg clearly a better team than PPR relegation looks like it's on the cards, s**t, even Westies have won a couple, PPR might finish bottom, history in the making if you like.
So under this well thought out model PPR will be playing Goodwood Saints and Blythe/Snowtown next year.
;) got it. image.png

Just on Port, I do find it amusing that Power supporters whinge they are hard done by as far as the restrictions on SANFL top-up players go. Yes, 2016 has seen them struggling on the back of some injuries, drug suspensions, a new (ordinary?) coach, and some underperforming AFL listed players, but to bitch and moan about not being able to top up with whoever they damn well please is laughable. A squad of full time professional footballers to pick from isn’t enough it seems.

Since the Magpies were killed off:
2015- 13 wins from 18, 2nd place at end of minor round
2014- 12 wins from 18, minor premier, lost GF by a kick

Struggle town.

Just on Port, I do find it amusing that Power supporters whinge they are hard done by as far as the restrictions on SANFL top-up players go. Yes, 2016 has seen them struggling on the back of some injuries, drug suspensions, a new (ordinary?) coach, and some underperforming AFL listed players, but to bitch and moan about not being able to top up with whoever they damn well please is laughable. A squad of full time professional footballers to pick from isn’t enough it seems.

Since the Magpies were killed off:
2015- 13 wins from 18, 2nd place at end of minor round
2014- 12 wins from 18, minor premier, lost GF by a kick

Struggle town.

Think it might say more than a bit why the SANFL is struggling with crowds, the only ones interested watching it were the die hards that without question put their opinion accross about having a totally ridiculous combnation of different rules for different teams,. The SANFL didnt think those supporters would carry throughon their threat and not attend due to how they wanted to see a competition.

Wandering what the SANFL commision and its clubs will do to attempt to fix the problem they created?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Where's the cut off for relegation? Let me guess, bottom two? Either way you look at it Port Power Reserves are on the cusp of history and with Norwood finding some form and Glenelg clearly a better team than PPR relegation looks like it's on the cards, s**t, even Westies have won a couple, PPR might finish bottom, history in the making if you like.
So under this well thought out model PPR will be playing Goodwood Saints and Blythe/Snowtown next year.
;) got it.View attachment 261468

Spot on and nothing wrong with it.

At the moment, there is no consequence for languishing at the bottom of the ladder for a season.
Clubs can rest assured that there is no urgency to turn around poor performances. Its a stage show and merry go round.

Bringing in a cut throat promotion and relegation is just the invigoration the competition needs, and if its Port then I welcome it.
Much rather the passion built behind seeing them promoted the next season, than putting up with pathetic performance year after year.

But as I suggested, they should be making the SANFL a 12 team competition by promoting two Amateurs.
You would assume there would be a number of seasons that the promoted amateurs would be relegated until we see amateurs performing at the level of SANFL clubs.

Channel 7s coverage is the biggest contributor, people would much rather stay home and watch on the TV.

SANFL match day crowds slump in wake of AFL reserve sides.
Officials try to explain why

(The) game between South and Port drew an average (television) audience of in excess of 39,000,” Kelly said.

“One in three people watching free-to-air TV were watching SANFL — and that tells us that the product is very strong.

“We’ve got almost 55,000 people using our app which is about 50 per cent more than last year and our social media audience is well above comparable competitions in other states
.”

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/messe...y/news-story/e1acadc2d54cfca49cc939962092cfba

Channel 7s coverage is the biggest contributor, people would much rather stay home and watch on the TV.

SANFL match day crowds slump in wake of AFL reserve sides.
Officials try to explain why

(The) game between South and Port drew an average (television) audience of in excess of 39,000,” Kelly said.

“One in three people watching free-to-air TV were watching SANFL — and that tells us that the product is very strong.

“We’ve got almost 55,000 people using our app which is about 50 per cent more than last year and our social media audience is well above comparable competitions in other states
.”

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/messe...y/news-story/e1acadc2d54cfca49cc939962092cfba
What about the Port v Sturt game at Alberton a few weeks ago, 2500 there and I reckon we'll over 1000 Sturt supporters, no Power or Adelaide game and no TV coverage. Port supporters just aren't attending. Last week 3600 for Sturt v Norwood with live TV coverage against the gate.

At the moment, there is no consequence for languishing at the bottom of the ladder for a season.
Clubs can rest assured that there is no urgency to turn around poor performances. Its a stage show and merry go round.

Bringing in a cut throat promotion and relegation is just the invigoration the competition needs, and if its Port then I welcome it.
Much rather the passion built behind seeing them promoted the next season, than putting up with pathetic performance year after year.

But as I suggested, they should be making the SANFL a 12 team competition by promoting two Amateurs.
You would assume there would be a number of seasons that the promoted amateurs would be relegated until we see amateurs performing at the level of SANFL clubs.
If promotion and relegation doesn't go from the top down then it can GGF, just like the salary cap.

What about the Port v Sturt game at Alberton a few weeks ago, 2500 there and I reckon we'll over 1000 Sturt supporters, no Power or Adelaide game and no TV coverage. Port supporters just aren't attending. Last week 3600 for Sturt v Norwood with live TV coverage against the gate.

Poor fixturing from the SANFL - the Port v Freo game was virtually on at the same time.

Hahahaha have you ever been to an A! game, those teams coming in are going to dilute the crowds even further. Do you think any amatuer league club can pay a player salary cap of $350K then coaches salaries plus what grounds will they play at, extensive work will need to be done at their hhome grounds for one to enclose the ground then facilities. We talk about SANFL clubs going broke do you want the Ammos clubs to go the same way?

Hahahaha have you ever been to an A! game, those teams coming in are going to dilute the crowds even further. Do you think any amatuer league club can pay a player salary cap of $350K then coaches salaries plus what grounds will they play at, extensive work will need to be done at their hhome grounds for one to enclose the ground then facilities. We talk about SANFL clubs going broke do you want the Ammos clubs to go the same way?

Thats what concessions are for, to get them started.

Draw more interests by opening up the competiton, you draw more sponsors.

I'm not say its a simple change to resolve, but it would make things far more interesing.

I'm not say its a simple change to resolve, but it would make things far more interesing.
So let's bring in P&R for all levels on a five year basis so funding and concessions can be given to clubs and taken away from under performing hacks that live off AFL handouts and priority picks.
About time some clubs in the AFL were kept honest.

So let's bring in P&R for all levels on a five year basis so funding and concessions can be given to clubs and taken away from under performing hacks that live off AFL handouts and priority picks.
About time some clubs in the AFL were kept honest.

Sounds good to me!

Hahaha you crack me up! Face facts the afl clubs in the SANFL is the reason for the hardcore supporters leaving. The SANFL clubs agreed to it, let them work a way of arresting the trend! If they want to be treated as a development league so be it, just don't expect anyone to come and watch it

Hahaha you crack me up! Face facts the afl clubs in the SANFL is the reason for the hardcore supporters leaving. The SANFL clubs agreed to it, let them work a way of arresting the trend! If they want to be treated as a development league so be it, just don't expect anyone to come and watch it

So its nothing to do with the large increase in SANFL viewing on channel 7 then?

So its nothing to do with the large increase in SANFL viewing on channel 7 then?

No the clubs were warned this would happen by it's loyal supporter base, did you think they were joking. We heard enough about it from supporter groups protesting the introduction of afl reserves, were you living in a cave at the time?

It wasn't an idle threat as we have discovered

Back