MMA-Other Favourite MMA Fighters?

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 16, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Chelsea
Thought it'd be interesting to see who some of our favourite fighters are. Retired or still competing, doesn't matter.

Went with the divisions that are in the UFC because I don't know a whole lot about most of the divisions outside the UFC and/or they simply don't have the talent level right now.

I tried to go with as many less proven fighters as I could. That didn't work at all with HW or WBW. SW is weird because it's new and there's a lot of inexperienced fighters that nobody really knows where they fit in the division yet. It'd be easy to pick a whole bunch of the top five/ten of each division, so I tried to get away from that.

Used this to jog my memory about some of the fighters: http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2013/1/29/3928296/ufc-roster-current-list-fighters

Here's some of my favourite fighters:

HW: JDS, Werdum, Mark Hunt, Cro Cop, Big Nog, Fedor

LHW: Cormier, OSP, Krylov, Shogun, Cirkunov, McGeary

MW: Machida, Anderson Silva, Wanderlei Silva, Brunson, Whittaker, Samman, Theodorou

WW: Lawler, Maia, Brown, Condit, Nelson, Tumenov, Nick Diaz, Warlley Alves

LW: Nate Diaz, Ferguson, Khabib, Kevin Lee, Gilbert Burns, Chandler, Will Brooks, Justin Gaethje, Myles Jury

FeW: Aldo, Holloway, Charles Oliveira, Mendes, Bektic, Amirkhani, Patricio Freire, Pat Curran

MBW: Barao, Dillashaw, Rivera, Lineker, McDonald, Thomas Almeida, Aljamain Sterling

WBW: Rousey, Davis, Nunes, Zingano, Smith

FlW: Johnson, Ortiz, Horiguchi, Makovsky, Scoggins, Borg

SW: Jedrzejczyk, Calderwood, VanZant, Gadelha, Torres, Namajunas

I'd like Rumble if he wasn't such a dick.

Was much the same with thiago silva. I was a huge fan of him in the UFC, he seemed to have the killer edge needed but after all the allegations from his wife....i couldnt care less what he does, thats why I got a soft spot for lauzon...good bloke inside ans outside of the octagon

Another couple I missed. I really like Beneil Dariush. Terrific ground game and continues getting better as a striker. Actually, I really enjoy watching most fighters trained by Rafael Cordeiro at the moment.

I didn't really like GSP before and I don't know why. I could imagine if you were an MMA fan for a long time and you saw his rise to the top live you could easily be a massive fan of him. First time I saw him fight was the Hardy fight and I guess everything seemed too easy for him to me prior to the Hendricks fight, and his fights always went to decision. Went back and watched his fights after he retired and loved how ahead of the game he was and how guys had no answer to what he was doing to them. His fight with Alves was a masterful performance. I've seen people recently compare him to Mighty Mouse in that they both have dominant performances while making it look easy. That sounds right and I really like Mighty Mouse and have come to really like GSP.

Was much the same with thiago silva. I was a huge fan of him in the UFC, he seemed to have the killer edge needed but after all the allegations from his wife....i couldnt care less what he does, thats why I got a soft spot for lauzon...good bloke inside ans outside of the octagon
Thiago Silva was a weird one. Didn't he have a stand-off with a SWAT team and then he ended up not being guilty of anything? Because his wife or ex-wife fled the country or something. Then she released videos of him waving a gun around when he appeared to be affected by drugs. And then you're like well no wonder she got the hell out of there.

You never really know, but yeah Lauzon definitely seems like a great person.

I'm not going to say anything about fighters that people mention in here any more because I like the Diaz brothers. You could say any number of things about them being dicks and I couldn't argue that they're not. We all like fighters, athletes in general and just people in general because we overlook certain things.

Dont know where to start, Big Rig, Pettis, D.C, TJ, mighty mouse, thats just a few

I was a huge fan of Hendricks after the kampman ko. Every since that lawler fight (the first fight)....have lost interest in what he is doing. I seem to that sometimes :p

I was a huge fan of Hendricks after the kampman ko. Every since that lawler fight (the first fight)....have lost interest in what he is doing. I seem to that sometimes :p
im ok with it, i see it as your got a skill set and you need to use it to win the fight. I use to be the same with GSP but opinion is starting evolve a bit

im ok with it, i see it as your got a skill set and you need to use it to win the fight. I use to be the same with GSP but opinion is starting evolve a bit

IMO, His gameplan changed from ko'ing people to being in a defensive mode in championship bouts. I understand the thought process but sometimes you shouldnt change the way that got you there.

I think thats what separates Anderson Silva from everybody else....a little bit.

HW: JDS, Werdum, Mark Hunt,
LHW: Gus, Shogun, Rumble
MW: Machida, Anderson Silva, Rockhold, Souza
WW: Lawler, Condit, Nick Diaz, Lombard
LW: Anthony 'Showtime' Pettis, Cowboy
FeW: Aldo, Jermey Stephens, Charles Oliveria
MBW: Dominic Cruz, Barao,
WBW: Rousey,
FlW: lol
SW: VanZant

(Log in to remove this ad.)

you could tell Thiago Silva was a legit Psycho after that Jardine Fight

Thiago-Silva-knocks-out-Jardine.jpg

Jon Jones needs more love. He's just the best.

I also have time for Wonderboy and Uriah Hall because who doesn't like some good old fashioned "spinning s**t".

HW: #rallyforMarkHunt, Barnett, Stipe (Steeeepaaaaaay)
LHW: Gus
MW: Rockhold, Anderson, Whittaker
WW: Condit, Nick Diaz, Rory, GSP (
LW: Cowboy, Pettis, Lauzon, Poirier, Erik Koch, Jake Matthews
FeW: Aldo, Franki, McGOAT, Caceres, Max Holloway
MBW: Dominic Cruz, Michael McDonald, Thomas Almeida
MFW: DJ, Benavidez, Sergio Pettis
WBW: Tate, Holm (now), Julianna Pena
SW: VanZant, Thug Rose

Tend to like the stars with brilliant skills for their fighting and then plodders for their personalities, sometimes they mix.

HW - Hunt, Lesnar, Mir, Rutten, Arlovski
LHW - Jones, Griffin, Randy Couture, Lyoto (when he was a LHW, not such a fan of him at MW)
MW - Silva, Weidman, Rockhold, Sam Alvey, Sonnen, Franklin, Dan Kelly
WW - R-MaC, Condit, Nelson,
LW - Edgar, Pettis, Cerrone, Miller, Lauzon, Barboza, Matthews
FW - Conor, Chang Sung Jung, K-Flo, Hooker
BW - Cruz, TJ, Faber
FlW - McCall

WBW - Rousey, Holm, Tate
WFlW - Penne, Joanna, Namajunas, Rawlings

The Diaz boys as well but only really in press conferences and for antics.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back