Fencing Fundraiser - World Cup

Remove this Banner Ad

Hey everyone,

For those who are not aware, I have been a fencer for majority of my life (the sport of fencing 🤺🤺🤺).

First of all I would like the thank everyone who donated and supported me for my Oceanic Fencing Championships last year.

Your support allowed me to go overseas, represent Australia and get easily my best ever results for the rest of that Fencing season (6th on Oceania in individuals, 3rd in teams (and first international medal), and ended the season with gold in the Victorian State Championships.

These results ended out in me getting selected as part of the Australian Fencing Squad (The squad is where they select teams from, similar to the Australian Cricket Squad or an AFL List), then from here I was selected for next year's Men's Sabre World Cup in Europe.

Unfortunately Fencing is a minor sport in Australia so whilst it is a full professional sporting event, I am expected to pay my own way (Flights and accommodation).

Because of this I'm currently looking for support, to assist with flights, travel and equipment costs (if I can find a way I will also attempt a few satellite competitions and go for an Olympic qualifying run).

I have set up a fundraiser with the Australian Sporting Foundation (completely tax deductible as well!), if anyone would be happy to assist that would be massive for myself.

You can find this here :) - Sam Bonser Fencing Season

Once again, huge thank you to everyone who helped last time! I also want to say I'm aware that the financial climate is more broken that ever so even if you cannot donate, but simply leave words of encouragement here instead that would be amazing!

I'm also looking for a good sports dietitian so if you know anyone please let me know 😂

Thanks <3

Last edited:
Hey everyone,

For those who are not aware, I have been a fencer for majority of my life (the sport of fencing 🤺🤺🤺).

First of all I would like the thank everyone who donated and supported me for my Oceanic Fencing Championships last year.

Your support allowed me to go overseas, represent Australia and get easily my best ever results for the rest of that Fencing season (6th on Oceania in individuals, 3rd in teams (and first international medal), and ended the season with gold in the Victorian State Championships.

These results ended out in me getting selected as part of the Australian Fencing Squad (The squad is where they select teams from, similar to the Australian Cricket Squad or an AFL List), then from here I was selected for next year's Men's Sabre World Cup in Poland.

Unfortunately Fencing is a minor sport in Australia so whilst it is a full professional sporting event, I am expected to pay my own way (Flights and accommodation).

Because of this I'm currently looking for support, to assist with flights, travel and equipment costs (if I can find a way I will also attempt a few satellite competitions and go for an Olympic qualifying run).

I have set up a fundraiser with the Australian Sporting Foundation (completely tax deductible as well!), if anyone would be happy to assist that would be massive for myself.

You can find this here :) - Sam Bonser Fencing Season

Once again, huge thank you to everyone who helped last time! I also want to say I'm aware that the financial climate is more broken that ever so even if you cannot donate, but simply leave words of encouragement here instead that would be amazing!

I'm also looking for a good sports dietitian so if you know anyone please let me know 😂

Thanks <3
As an expert, Any hints or advice "

1699346993317.png

Good luck. While it is important to practice poking people with your pointy end, don‘t forget to also work on

1699352658859.jpeg

Brilliant Bonz ! Best of luck with it all! ❤️

fence GIF

Hey everyone,

Just wanted to give a HUGE thank you for the support so far.

Firstly Braklet and Fleabane thank you so much!!! It's super appreciated and I adore you both.

Whoever the "Billing" Swans supporter is and Anonymous please if your comfortable please message me.

Would love to thank you personally, some of the support is astounding (and the ASF platform doesn't allow me to directly message supporters).

For Anonymous would love to send you something as part of the thank you as well, that donation kind of took my breath away.

Seriously in tears a little, I really appreciate it.

Just wanted to come in here and say thank you to everyone who supported me.

We smashed past the fundraising goal today and there has legitimately been a few times where I have been in tears from some of the support here.

I fly out on February 24th and compete 1st-3rd of March, representing Australia in both individuals and teams.

Honestly I wouldn't have been able to afford this without the help here so it means the world.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just wanted to come in here and say thank you to everyone who supported me.

We smashed past the fundraising goal today and there has legitimately been a few times where I have been in tears from some of the support here.

I fly out on February 24th and compete 1st-3rd of March, representing Australia in both individuals and teams.

Honestly I wouldn't have been able to afford this without the help here so it means the world.

I didn’t help … BUT good luck

Just giving everyone a heads up here before I go public on socials in the next few days.

In a few weeks time I'm going to retire from competitive fencing.

The support I have gotten here has been extraordinary, especially with the funding towards both Oceanics and the World Cup.

Over the next three weeks I will be doing the following.
  • Victorian State Championships - Next Sunday
  • 4th to the 7th of May Grand Prix (South Korea - Seoul) - This is the biggest individual event of the year and is the last event if the Olympic Qualifying Season
  • 12th of May - National Championships (individuals and Teams) - Brisbane

Funnily when I opened the fundraising I didn't expect to get selected for Korea which was an incredible bonsu (it's the biggest event in Individual Sabre fencing) (Italy was biggest in teams).

As for why I'm retiring
  • 33 years old, so whilst I have improved dramatically recently, it's unlikely I would continue this rate, especially as I age and get older.
  • Torn PCL and popliteus in knee - Requires an extended break
  • Saw multiple professionals doping in Italy (and am aware of some in Australia doing it as well), whilst I get the benefits, I like being clean fit and don't want to do this to keep up.
  • Professional sport really takes it out of you both physically and mentally, I'm training 5 days a week, doing ice baths, dieting, doing S&C on top of this and really not getting to live my life.

Lastly and most importantly I have achieved more than I ever thought I would with my fencing especially at my height (169cm)

• Regional champion
  • B-Grade Champion
  • State Champion (individuals and teams)
  • Bronze and Silver medals at Arnold Classic (Also got to meet Arnie and shake his hand)
  • National medal Bronze twice with Victoria in teams
  • Captained Victoria's team 3 times at nationals
  • Top 8 individual oceanic Championships
  • Bronze medal representing Australia Oceanic Championships
  • Represented Australia in teams at world cup
  • Represented Australia in individuals world cup and grand prix

I'm going to give back to the sport though, I am now a qualified personal trainer and soon will be studying strength and conditioning. After travelling I really have identified the biggest difference between the Australian and Asian/ Euro fencers apart from funding is physicality. So want to assist our juniors as we build a platform for 2032.

Once again a HUGE HUGE thank you to this board and Bigfooty in general for the support over the years as well to both Wosh and Chief for allowing me to fundraise here, if you would like to help towards my last few competitions you can here ->
View attachment 1967308
View attachment 1967317
View attachment 1967319
View attachment 1967318

Remove this Banner Ad

Back