Player Watch Finlay Macrae

Remove this Banner Ad

Macrae was a projected top five pick in a non-COVID year.
Have you thought through what that means?

It means if he had a ripping year in his last year of u18s he would have been a chance of going top 5. He didn't get that opportunity, but neither did all the other Vic kids who were drafted ahead of him. If the recruiters had have had him as a top 5 Vic prospect at the end of 2019, he would have gone top 5 amongst the vic kids.

Sullivan & Bytel will be auditioning for a midfield role in today’s VFL game for next week in my opinion. Fin May hold a spot because I think Pendles will either miss for the gut slap or it will be his rotation for the veteran managed gig.

I can’t help but cheer for Sullivan and I don’t know why.

They do view him as the one to succeed mitchell. But think for the time being they want to play them both if they can.

At Fin’s age, Mitchell was already a dominant, ball-magnet, best-22 player. Fin shows very little to suggest he’s going to follow in Mitchell’s footsteps.

Of those on our list, Sullivan is a much closer resemblance.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

At Fin’s age, Mitchell was already a dominant, ball-magnet, best-22 player. Fin shows very little to suggest he’s going to follow in Mitchell’s footsteps.

Of those on our list, Sullivan is a much closer resemblance.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Looking forward to see what Sullivan can do at senior level, be interesting to see if Fin gets more opportunities or makes way for Sullivans debut, best of luck 🍀 to both…

We need to give the kid continuity. He was poor tonight. But he came off two games as sub, and then got thrown onto a red hot dual Brownlow medalist. He got smashed, but we have to persist if we want him to build confidence at this level. If we’re still seeing the same problems in 3-4 games, then we move on and look elsewhere. Going back to dominate the VFL again will do nothing for him.
Fly and the papers indicated Titch was playing on Neale last night. Posters saying it was Macrae. So who was it?

Fly and the papers indicated Titch was playing on Neale last night. Posters saying it was Macrae. So who was it?
From Neale’s stats, I’d say nobody played on him ! lol 😝
I do recall seeing Titch on Neale but maybe that was after Fin was subbed….. Neale was smashing us in the centre during our putrid 2nd quarter .

They do view him as the one to succeed mitchell. But think for the time being they want to play them both if they can.

I know what you're saying but while we're contending i think mitchell should play but only if he plays at the standard of last night. If we end up being middle ranking, then we can switch to finn. And if Mitchell looks like a witches hat then rest him.

Given there is no VFL game during gather round, and they wont want him to miss our on 2 weeks of footy, I reckon they'll back him in (fly always talks about that) and give him a shot to redeem himself against the hawks.
I reckon actions speak louder than words. Setting up Fin’s development to be a success doesn’t seem a priority based on the clubs actions around him.

I think they can only play 2 of Mitchell, Pendles and Macrae without us being too slow in the midfield. And you don't really want any of them in other roles.

Try to give game time to Macrae/Sullivan/Allan this year when we rotate or have an injury. Pendles will probably retire at the end of the year with Mitchell the year after. And if Macrae is good enough and at the front of the queue he becomes a regular next year or this year if one of our two veterans gets an injury or falld off a cliff or if Macrae does show that hes their equal. But he'll be competing with guys like Sullivan and Allan to become the replacement mid next year and first in line depth this year.

Lippa is another part of the equation, both in terms of his current role being suited for a mid and his potential to play an inside midfield role in the coming years. Shultz, and McCreery not out of the equation as future mids either. Plus who knows who we'll recruit.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I reckon actions speak louder than words. Setting up Fin’s development to be a success doesn’t seem a priority based on the clubs actions around him.
There's 42 others they're setting up for success and looking to back in too and all of their individual success rank below success of the team in terms of a priority.

Macrae was matched up against him for much of the first half (when he was rampant). Mitchell switched on to him after half time and did well to quell his influence a little.

It's a 9 day break with a bye following. I don't think we'll be managing anyone. Best team going flat chat. Let's shred them.
Fair enough. That’s plenty of recuperation time.

I would bring Sullivan in over Lipinski
Should be at least discussed. Harrison over Lippa too. I don't think Lippa has been bad though. But we've got no injuries and a couple pushing for games.

However, I think it will be the 22 who finished last night with Sidebottom back as sub.

Should be at least discussed. Harrison over Lippa too. I don't think Lippa has been bad though. But we've got no injuries and a couple pushing for games.

However, I think it will be the 22 who finished last night with Sidebottom back as sub.
Fly isn't one for big changes. Sidey for Fin might be it

Remove this Banner Ad

Back