Trade Requested Gabby Newton requests trade to Fremantle

Remove this Banner Ad

Finished 7th in her club's 2020 B&F count. Didn't crack the top 10 in the following 3 seasons (missing 1 entirely to injury). Will probably finish in the 5th-7th range this year, having boosted most of her numbers in the 2nd half of the season with more time spent down back.

No great surprise to hear she wants out. Her body language at times--particularly in the last game of the season--was terrible, on par with what you'd see from Roxanne Roux. A few years ago, the idea of both players on the same list would've had most clubs salivating.

Since then, neither player has made any significantly noticeable progress, including from a fitness perspective. Both still very young though, and if you're Fremantle (having already lost Duffy and Franklin), what other gamble makes more sense. This is supposing they aren't going to actually delist Roux, but that wouldn't make much sense for a team seemingly coming to terms with their need to develop players in the 18-23 age bracket.

This could wind up being win/win. Newton's probably a lot better than anybody in the WA pool, but not necessarily better than the third pick in the Victorian pool.

I would guess this is more a case of Freo making an offer that Newton can't refuse than Newton being desperate to get out of the Dogs. Webb did spend a season at the Dogs, so there is that connection. It will definitely be interesting to see where Freo use her, given how she was used by the Dogs this season.

So are we predicting we will have to give up our first pick? I know she was a former no. 1 pick but playing more like a 2nd rounder now.

Well the Bulldogs forced Kim Rennie to go to the draft because they would only accept a 1st rounder for her. So extrapolating that logic, Freo will be asked to give up their first 3 picks for Newton.

Yeah, that wasn’t a smart strategy by the Bulldogs and I’m sure they wouldn’t do that again but …. where would Newton go if she was in this year’s draft?

Idk, but we do know Freo have the 2nd WA pick, which would become the 3rd Vic pick if traded to the Dogs.

Mackenzie Eardley was the 3rd Vic pick in last year's proper draft. If she and Newton wanted to swap clubs, Hawthorn would certainly take that deal.

Lauren Wakfer was the 2nd WA pick in last year's proper draft. If " " ", West Coast " " ".

With that in mind, Freo shouldn't sweat giving up their 1st pick for Newton. And it would actually increase the value of the 2nd rounder they offer WC for McCarthy. The Dogs will want the 3rd Vic pick, WC will want the 2nd WA pick, and Freo are able to provide both while getting the 2 players they seek.

So are we predicting we will have to give up our first pick? I know she was a former no. 1 pick but playing more like a 2nd rounder now.
In what sense? Newton would have been 2nd on Freo in disposals behind O'Driscoll (3rd in average, also behind Bowers). The only player with a better disposal efficiency at the Dockers was Antonio. Newton also had more marks than anyone at Freo, with only Strom and Tighe having more contested marks. She'll be 23 when next season starts and is a natural leader.

I cannot imagine a scenario where Freo gets Newton and doesn't give up pick 6.

In what sense? Newton would have been 2nd on Freo in disposals behind O'Driscoll (3rd in average, also behind Bowers). The only player with a better disposal efficiency at the Dockers was Antonio. Newton also had more marks than anyone at Freo, with only Strom and Tighe having more contested marks. She'll be 23 when next season starts and is a natural leader.

I cannot imagine a scenario where Freo gets Newton and doesn't give up pick 6.
I think you are right but was hoping to get away with a 2nd rounder.

Freo aren't a high possession team though, we play a bit differently to most teams

I think Freos 1st and 2nd for Dogs 2nd and Newton would be pretty fair, Massive upgrade in the Vic draft for the dogs and a second rounder

Remove this Banner Ad

Back