Game Day Rituals or Superstitions

Remove this Banner Ad

Ykickamoocow

Rookie
Feb 8, 2006
paddock
Other Teams
cowboys
Interested in hearing any pre match ritual or superstition stories. Even in the days before a game.
Something that you or someone you know does.

For example ..... no-doze, loving or No loving the night or morning before the big game, pasta every Friday night, eating a hot dog at 1/2 time in the 3rds each Saturday etc etc

MY RITUALS

Plate of HOT CHIPS, Gravy and Melted Cheese for dinner on the Friday Night
NO food on the Saturday before the game
Be the 1st or 2nd out when we run out
Stretch the hammys and throw the grass Lloyd style when kicking for goal

no rub down before the game and none of that resin ******** on the hands. also like to run out second last.

I've seen a few interesting ones... From blokes clipping finger nails and toe nails that haven't grown since last week before the game, to bloke who would have hot dog and coke + ciggy about a quarter before they need to run out...

Also once had a bloke who used to roll his own herbal cigarette and just have a bit of a puff....

I played with a bloke who would not start getting dressed to play unless he had 10 black cat lollies. Someone stole them one one day and he refused to get ready. He missed the warm-up because someone had to go to the corner store to get them for him.

Punter_22 said:
I played with a bloke who would not start getting dressed to play unless he had 10 black cat lollies. Someone stole them one one day and he refused to get ready. He missed the warm-up because someone had to go to the corner store to get them for him.

haha that is just plain mad! I always put my socks on before i put my boots on!:p Like to run out last also

Have an almighty, s-bend shattering grogan at 3qtr time of the magoos.... leaving maximum bark factor for the next bloke.

im fairly crazy. i play in the position the coach puts me in. i take my casual clothes off before putting my gear on. both socks go on before the boots. spray water on my face when its hot. always have a drink of water at half time. dont pull my socks up when i have a shot at goal. dont throw grass in the air when there is clearly no breeze. just full of superstitions.

Socks up V's socks down.??

Cant play with them down, feels like my legs weigh a ton.

Have had the same velcro elastic sock holders for 12 yrs.

Always last to get my gear on, no creams, tape or anything of that nature. Jumper firmly tucked, socks up to start with, but let them fall if they must. never run through a puddle before the centre bounce.

Long sleeve jumper is a superstitious as I ever got - the game's hard enough at times without doing ya head in over things that have no bearing on the outcome I reckon.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Haha im very supersticious maybe a little to much.

1. Start the season off with my favourite speedos/underwear will wear them until i play a bad a game. once ive played a bad game i change them and put a new pair on and the cycle continues for the whole season.

2. Have to have mums pasta the night before.

3. Run out 2nd or last

4. jumper out

5. Go to the toilet just as we are about a minute before we go out.

6. Dont kick a football until on the ground, handball is fine.

There is one more that ill keep to my self............
Seems alot but over the years ive got used to it and its like 2nd nature.

Snoozer said:
Have an almighty, s-bend shattering grogan at 3qtr time of the magoos.... leaving maximum bark factor for the next bloke.

My kind of man snooz.. hope you make sure there is no dunny paper left either:p

never wore a short sleave.pain in the ass when playing pracke matches in hot feb/march.and play with a bloke who brings up breakfest just before where about to run out every game.

this is not really stuff i "have" to do, but a general pre match would be something like it.

eat pizza and pasta friday night

eat a solid breakfast, then go catch end of the 19's, watch 2's and have a hot dog or a few steamed dim sims during the 2nd stanza. have a V or Red Bull while getting changed.

socks used to be up, but i reckon my calves look heaps better with them down, so i cut the top off and roll em down now!!! jumper out.

run out near the front normally. put mouth guard in sock until the ball bout to be bounced.

no rubs, tape or any of that.

i also like to have a bit of fun and a giggle before the match, where as some blokes cant stand to see people having fun before football. but i play better when im relaxed, as opposed to someone who has to get really fired up and angry.

i also read the footy record... especially the club notes section which i write!

Yeah I have a routine that I pretty much follow every week.

wake up around 9ish
walk to the shop to get the paper.
have porridge for breaky
listen to chillout CD whilst reading paper, whe finished and getting in the shower always Oasis & CHampagne Super Nova has to be the last song I hear before I leave.
get to game 1/4 time of 2's and have a bananna
Have a can of red Bull and lemon lime lucozade at 1/2 time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back