General Sport Discussion (non-AFL)

Remove this Banner Ad

Riley Gaines was on the Joe Rogan Podcast today, she went deep into the Lia Thomas saga, a sad story really, what a joke that Thomas a biological male with fully intact male genitalia was ever allowed to compete against females, disgusting.
As an aside to that, some of his recent chats with noticeable guests such as Jordan Peterson, Dr Phil and a few others about children changing their genders and people including their parents enabling these decisions is truly astounding particularly some of the stats about kids changing genders from even as recent as 5-10 years ago let alone 20 is mind blowing. It really is sickening. Can only wait for the explosion of litigation and the rest in years to come. There’s a reason why kids aren’t allowed to do a lot of things and make certain decisions to protect them from themselves and this subject should be no exception.
sorry to say it but youve both fallen for a well oiled transphobia machine. these pundits specifically highlights the most niche / controversial cases involving transgender athletes to push transgender rights more broadly as a political wedge issue. part of this was evident in the LNP nominating Katherine Deves as a candidate in the last federal election.

nearly all their rhetoric echoes homophobia of the 80's and 90's. i implore you to actually read the literature surrounding transgender issues, including when gender affirmation processes should begin before listening to people who come in with a clear agenda on the issue.

sorry to say it but youve both fallen for a well oiled transphobia machine. these pundits specifically highlights the most niche / controversial cases involving transgender athletes to push transgender rights more broadly as a political wedge issue. part of this was evident in the LNP nominating Katherine Deves as a candidate in the last federal election.

nearly all their rhetoric echoes homophobia of the 80's and 90's. i implore you to actually read the literature surrounding transgender issues, including when gender affirmation processes should begin before listening to people who come in with a clear agenda on the issue.
I was highlighting a factual case of a fully intact male competing against biological women, that is a disgrace.

I did not infer anything else or extrapolate on to the wider topic of biological males identifying as women in general society, which I have zero problem with and couldn't care less about.

You jumped to an illogical conclusion by inferring I was homophobic.

On the wider topic..... biological males have a genetic/inherent advantage re athletic prowess because of muscle mass, bone structure, hand eye coordination, spatial awareness, greater lung capacity, greater heart output and these advantages are only magnified once going through puberty.

Last edited:
I was highlighting a factual case of a fully intact male competing against biological women, that is a disgrace.

I did not infer anything else or extrapolate on to the wider topic of biological males identifying as women in general society, which I have zero problem with and couldn't care less about.

You jumped to an illogical conclusion by inferring I was homophobic.

On the wider topic..... biological males have a genetic/inherent advantage re athletic prowess because of muscle mass, bone structure, hand eye coordination, spatial awareness, greater lung capacity, greater heart output and these advantages are only magnified once going through puberty.
I don’t see a problem with transgender people having their own competitions, in all sports if they like.
But that is as far as it should go imo.

I could care less about transgender issues until it impacts me and makes thinking it’s ok to use rest rooms that my daughter or other female family member may be in.

As for the rest of my post, the people you’ve potted have valid points I agree with; kids should NOT be making decisions that ultimately impacts their entire life whilst a child. Hence why children are legally unable to make decisions about a raft of things for obvious reasons. Here’s two examples; I don’t have tattoos but I know plenty that do and most either regret getting the ones when they were 18-20 or getting them at all. Why because they’ve changed and don’t identify with whatever image / words they are or where on there body’s they got them. Secondly, one of my partners best friends had a 15 year old daughter and was as she described very girly girl as a young girl however when she was 13-14 thought she should be a boy and started dressing as one and asked everyone to call her this boys name she gave herself. Anyway, she asked Mum to have the ops and what not and Mum said no; when you’re 18 and if you still feel that way she would support her daughter or son or whatever. Anyway this fad lasted all of 18 months and she has now reverted back to her original name, wearing girls clothes and the rest. So lets say when Mum was asked 18 months ago and allowed her to take the hormones and ops and the rest what it would have done to this girl, all really because kids are now told they can be and do whatever they want and now they want back to what it is they want. So they may cause irreparable damage to their body again remembering these people think kids are mature enough to make such massive decisions.

I don’t need Joe, De Phil and whoever else to inform my decision but I’ll be damned if I ever agree that children should be given a right to make some of these sort of decisions that some are saying they should be allowed to make be it about their identity, what they do themselves and piercings and Tatts and a lot of other things such as identifying as a frog which so many wokies seem to think they should.

I could care less about transgender issues until it impacts me and makes thinking it’s ok to use rest rooms that my daughter or other female family member may be in.

As for the rest of my post, the people you’ve potted have valid points I agree with; kids should NOT be making decisions that ultimately impacts their entire life whilst a child. Hence why children are legally unable to make decisions about a raft of things for obvious reasons. Here’s two examples; I don’t have tattoos but I know plenty that do and most either regret getting the ones when they were 18-20 or getting them at all. Why because they’ve changed and don’t identify with whatever image / words they are or where on there body’s they got them. Secondly, one of my partners best friends had a 15 year old daughter and was as she described very girly girl as a young girl however when she was 13-14 thought she should be a boy and started dressing as one and asked everyone to call her this boys name she gave herself. Anyway, she asked Mum to have the ops and what not and Mum said no; when you’re 18 and if you still feel that way she would support her daughter or son or whatever. Anyway this fad lasted all of 18 months and she has now reverted back to her original name, wearing girls clothes and the rest. So lets say when Mum was asked 18 months ago and allowed her to take the hormones and ops and the rest what it would have done to this girl, all really because kids are now told they can be and do whatever they want and now they want back to what it is they want. So they may cause irreparable damage to their body again remembering these people think kids are mature enough to make such massive decisions.

I don’t need Joe, De Phil and whoever else to inform my decision but I’ll be damned if I ever agree that children should be given a right to make some of these sort of decisions that some are saying they should be allowed to make be it about their identity, what they do themselves and piercings and Tatts and a lot of other things such as identifying as a frog which so many wokies seem to think they should.
You've gone way too far this time McIvor. Frogs are cool 🐸

Does anybody else think commemorating the Matilda's coming 4th in a World Cup/winning a Quarter Final with a permanent statue at Lang Park is a tad over the top? IMO it's patently ridiculous.

Does anybody else think commemorating the Matilda's coming 4th in a World Cup/winning a Quarter Final with a permanent statue at Lang Park is a tad over the top? IMO it's patently ridiculous.

Wander around town and read the plaques on a lot of the other statues around. The bar is not set very high.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wander around town and read the plaques on a lot of the other statues around. The bar is not set very high.
Haven't read many plaques around town, I was thinking of other statues I have seen around other stadiums eg. MCG - Don Bradman, Dennis Lillee, Betty Cuthbert, Leigh Matthews. Lang Park - Arthur Beetson, Wally Lewis, John Eales. All legendary athletes.

May be just me but I don't think not even medalling at a World Cup is permanent commemoration worthy.

It's insane. It is celebrating mediocrity, which wouldn't be so bad if we didn't have so many world championship teams to celebrate.

Haven't read many plaques around town, I was thinking of other statues I have seen around other stadiums eg. MCG - Don Bradman, Dennis Lillee, Betty Cuthbert, Leigh Matthews. Lang Park - Arthur Beetson, Wally Lewis, John Eales. All legendary athletes.

May be just me but I don't think not even medalling at a World Cup is permanent commemoration worthy.
Beetson and Lewis definitely didn't medal at a World Cup either.

It's clearly intended as a boost to women's sporting representation. It's celebrating a significant event in Australian women's sporting history that happened at that location - both for the win but also Australia getting behind a women's sporting team in Australian history. IMO statues mean stuff all regardless, but if we're going to put some up why not give it to a meaningful event (if it clearly wasn't meaningful to you guys, Lewis at Lang Park isn't particularly meaningful to me either) even it wasn't reaching the peak of that sport.

Even in the AFL world, Stynes has a statue at the MCG despite never reaching the pinnacle of the V/AFL in a premiership. He won a Brownlow but so did many others without statues. He's got one over the other candidates because of his massive off-field impact.

Beetson and Lewis definitely didn't medal at a World Cup either.

It's clearly intended as a boost to women's sporting representation. It's celebrating a significant event in Australian women's sporting history that happened at that location - both for the win but also Australia getting behind a women's sporting team in Australian history. IMO statues mean stuff all regardless, but if we're going to put some up why not give it to a meaningful event (if it clearly wasn't meaningful to you guys, Lewis at Lang Park isn't particularly meaningful to me either) even it wasn't reaching the peak of that sport.

Even in the AFL world, Stynes has a statue at the MCG despite never reaching the pinnacle of the V/AFL in a premiership. He won a Brownlow but so did many others without statues. He's got one over the other candidates because of his massive off-field impact.
I think those individual statues for Beetson and Lewis are for the entirety of their careers(and for the others as well), both are all time legends of the game they play.

Significant event? Winning a Quarter Final.. LOL! FWIW if the Matilda's won the World Cup I would have been all for the statue.

I would like a team statue at Brighton Homes Arena to commemorate our Grand Final loss in 2023 or maybe we could have unfurled the runners up flag at our first home game v the Blues this season.

It's insane. It is celebrating mediocrity, which wouldn't be so bad if we didn't have so many world championship teams to celebrate.
We’re now doing a pretty good job of that in this woke era we live in.

I’m all for celebrating anyone that has achieved something significant on the local or global stage but this recognition for the sake of recognition because they are female, disabled, gay etc don’t get me started.

Where’s the statute for our AFLX winning team or pre season cup triumph in 2013 or whenever it was?

Significant event? Winning a Quarter Final.. LOL! FWIW if the Matilda's won the World Cup I would have been all for the statue.
So you're clearly choosing to ignore the majority of the post where I pointed out why it was significant. I get you don't think it is. But you're clearly not the target here. I would have thought you'd be understanding that not everything has to appeal to everyone (unlike others who are a bit more reactionary).

And again, we've got statues honouring bankers, the Courier Mail, commuters, "Industrial Growth", a bunch of people who never even set foot in Australia, and several who didn't even know it existed scattered around Brisbane alone. I was going to include the kangaroos on the list, but honestly I felt like I was doing them a disservice but including them with the rest of those. :D

I would like a team statue at Brighton Homes Arena to commemorate our Grand Final loss in 2023 or maybe we could have unfurled the runners up flag at our first home game v the Blues this season.
Go for it, I see no reason not to.

So you're clearly choosing to ignore the majority of the post where I pointed out why it was significant. I get you don't think it is. But you're clearly not the target here. I would have thought you'd be understanding that not everything has to appeal to everyone (unlike others who are a bit more reactionary).

And again, we've got statues honouring bankers, the Courier Mail, commuters, "Industrial Growth", a bunch of people who never even set foot in Australia, and several who didn't even know it existed scattered around Brisbane alone. I was going to include the kangaroos on the list, but honestly I felt like I was doing them a disservice but including them with the rest of those. :D
I disagree, not a hill I would die on though, just thought it was odd/over the top and worth a comment on the forum.

Clearly I am only talking sporting excellence statues at iconic sporting venues in this case.

I do not think it is a significant enough "achievement" for that level of recognition... the Matilda's got plenty of recognition through the media and the general public for their performance at the World Cup IMO.

It's in a small way similar to my reaction to the Tayla Harris statue in Federation Square - what the, really.
Go for it, I see no reason not to.
Something like this with a Lions theme would be apt.
1711350139997.png

Something like this with a Lions theme would be apt.
1711350139997.png
Nah, that doesn't celebrate a win at BHA. Personally I think that should be erected outside the MCG.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back