Gippsland Football Leagues Restructure

Remove this Banner Ad

Wonthaggi are looking to move out of Gippy league into West Gippsland- maybe just put Yinnar in Gippsland
yeh from experience of being associated with Yinnar for the past few years I believe them or Yallourn / Yallourn North could easily play Gippsland League.

Wonthaggi are really struggling junior wise. Good move for them imo, hope they vote to move out tbh.

yeh from experience of being associated with Yinnar for the past few years I believe them or Yallourn / Yallourn North could easily play Gippsland League.

Wonthaggi are really struggling junior wise. Good move for them imo, hope they vote to move out tbh.
Yeah I agree, definitely a good move

Wonthaggi need at least 75% of members to vote in favour of the move, and the talk is besides the seniors footballers everyone is in favour of moving as the club is now basically without any juniors.

Cant pinpoint exact reason why they have no juniors, but when the club merged and decided on playing in the Alberton league they upset alot of people around the traps

Looks like the West Gippy comp is going to be a rather strong standard of footy regardless.

Not sure if anything official is out yet but heard this morning that IK and Nyora have been successful in their appeals. IK to West Gippsland and Nyora to stay in Ellinbank. Korumburra Bena to have 'pressure put on them' to stay in Alberton but they are still in West Gippsland at this stage.

Not sure if anything official is out yet but heard this morning that IK and Nyora have been successful in their appeals. IK to West Gippsland and Nyora to stay in Ellinbank. Korumburra Bena to have 'pressure put on them' to stay in Alberton but they are still in West Gippsland at this stage.
Surely they'll stay in Alberton

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No way they could compete, particularly with juniors.

I like the idea of a promotion, relegation system. Maybe combining Ellinbank and Alberton + Yarram?, gives you 28 teams. Top 2 tiers would have 10 teams, play each other twice, lower tier comp would have 8 teams. Top 2/bottom 2 switch each year? Could it work?

No way they could compete, particularly with juniors.

I like the idea of a promotion, relegation system. Maybe combining Ellinbank and Alberton + Yarram?, gives you 28 teams. Top 2 tiers would have 10 teams, play each other twice, lower tier comp would have 8 teams. Top 2/bottom 2 switch each year? Could it work?
In hindsight it could work, or even having an NBA style system with different conferences, and winners from those move through to the finals and eventually a GF. But it does take away from the spirit and the originality of the game. Teams should be playing against local teams- travel time is easier, allows for more connection between clubs (and rivalries) and is just an integral part of the game.

So Korumburra Bena's appeal has been successful and they are now back in the West Gippsland league. Surely spells the death of Alberton unless there is another round of restructuring, it can't function as a 7 team league.

http://www.foxsportspulse.com/assoc...62-0-0-0&&news_task=DETAIL&articleID=46071916
North Central footy league operated as a 7 side league for quite a few years up until this season and functioned well. The bye which occurs with a 7 side league was actually embraced by all teams and actually became a recruiting tool for travelling players.The league functioned normally with no obvious problems.

Always wondered why the MGFL isn't involved in restructuring talk more - somehow we've never heard of splitting the comp's sides into north and south and then adding the southern sides to Alberton and what is now West Gippsland, with the northern sides joining Ellinbank and maybe Nth Gippy.

Always wondered why the MGFL isn't involved in restructuring talk more - somehow we've never heard of splitting the comp's sides into north and south and then adding the southern sides to Alberton and what is now West Gippsland, with the northern sides joining Ellinbank and maybe Nth Gippy.
Yeah I think you'll find that it is a perfect storm for the Mid Gippy League.

10 Clubs
18 Rounds
All teams play each other twice.
Final 5

Its just neat and whilst it may not be the strongest competition in the area, it appears to be the most stable. Can't see AFL Vic messing with it anytime soon.

watched the dwwww v toora game on Saturday and dwwww 2nds only had 14 players, and buy 3qt time only 11. if dwwww go under next year, what will happen in the Alberton comp? is there any clubs that they could entice from other leagues? or will it only be a matter of time before most of these clubs shut up shop as well.

watched the dwwww v toora game on Saturday and dwwww 2nds only had 14 players, and buy 3qt time only 11. if dwwww go under next year, what will happen in the Alberton comp? is there any clubs that they could entice from other leagues? or will it only be a matter of time before most of these clubs shut up shop as well.

Maybe Nyora or Woodside?

I have heard a few rumours going around on the weekend that Alberton and Ellinbank leagues are talking about merging, anyone know what the go is?

What's the latest with the Alberton set up.
Dwwww seem to be really struggling to get up in 2018 and Stony Creek have already put in an application to go mid gippy.
With an existing 7 team comp it really puts the whole structure in a precarious situation where if one side falls or wants out, the whole comp could collapse.

Being November there has to be some quick decisions for 2018.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back