JF_Bay_22_SCG

Premiership Player
Mar 23, 2003
Maidstone Vic
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
FC Bayern,Port Melbourne
Hi gang, a number of us on RWO has decided to start going to more local footy match in sydney. We have decided to go and have a look at North Shore vs Wests at Henson park tonight from 7pm.
http://www.sydneyafl.com.au/default.aspx?s=fixtures

I have started a thread up here in order to attract the attention of those football-lovers in Sydney who are not alligned with the Swans.

I'll be there with a couple of footies. If anyone is up for a kick to kick, just come up and say hi.

Let's get the plethora of NSW-based footy fans on Big Footy start going to watch local games. That is the only way we are going to help the game grow in NSW.

JF

DaveW said:
Henson Park seems like an odd venue for these two teams.

Is that North Shore's usual home ground?

Good to have met you tonight mate.

No, it is a venue selected by AFLSydbney as a place to hold the match of the round. It was a bit greasy under foot. and it was near impossible to take a mark with the lights in your eyes. But otherwise a fantastic footy venue.

What impressed me the most was the standard of the footy, it was awesome. Really fast breakneck speed stuff, with near impeccable skills in quite difficult conditions. Wests were great, North shore pretty lethargic all night. Wests won by 8 goals odd, to the delight of a decidedly pro-Wests crowd.

The SFL is well worth a look. Not only was it free to get it, but we could park the car on the half forward line!

Seriously, all you AFL supporters in Sydney, give it a look. You'll be surprised as to the standard. As I was tonight.

JF

This is great JF. Good stuff! Local footy needs this sort of promotion. Not all footy is at AFL level.

Unfortunately, I live nowhere near the city but whenever I do visit (re: work) I would like to catch some SFL action. I caught some QAFL action recently and was impressed. WA and the QAFL (AFL-Q these days) are playing at Carrara mid-year so that should be a game not to miss.

Just on that, what rep games would the SFL or NSW/ACT-AFL have in store this season?

BERT said:
Where is Penriths home ground in Div 2?

Bert, Penrith are in Division One. If you're after any more details, let me know ;)

Another good win for the Rams on the weekend against an ordinary Parramatta side. Two from two now for the boys, which is one more win than they've had in the last two years!

HitEmHardFreo said:
Just on that, what rep games would the SFL or NSW/ACT-AFL have in store this season?
Sydney AFL plays Riverina in Sydney on Sunday 12th June; then plays AFLQ on Saturday 2nd July in Brisbane.

As for the game at Henson Park on Saturday night, a very impressive performance by Wests who jumped North Shore early to win by 62 points. My match report and pics are up at http://redandwhiteonline.com/content.php?id=516_0_3_0_C

There will be another Saturday night showcase game on Saturday 30th April, with North Shore in action again against UNSW-Easts. It'd be great to see some more BigFooty-ites there.

desie said:
Bert, Penrith are in Division One. If you're after any more details, let me know ;)

Another good win for the Rams on the weekend against an ordinary Parramatta side. Two from two now for the boys, which is one more win than they've had in the last two years!

Thanks. I live in the area and will come down and have a look in the next 4 weeks or so.

BERT said:
Thanks. I live in the area and will come down and have a look in the next 4 weeks or so.

No worries, next home game is on 7 May against Sydney Uni. This one might be a bit ugly I'm afraid, they are by far and away the best side in the competition.

Anyhow, it will be good to see you there if you can make it :)

desie said:
No worries, next home game is on 7 May against Sydney Uni. This one might be a bit ugly I'm afraid, they are by far and away the best side in the competition.

Probably right but the Syd Uni boys reckon that UTS are this years yardstick. However after playing both in the past 2 weeks I thinks that Sydney are ahead but its hard to judge given we played them at Uni and Uts at Rosedale. Both teams play on at all costs and are disciplined. Unless teams are prepared to be more disciplined than them they will struggle. Our biggest problem other than losing so many players in the past 12 months is we allowed but teams to play on too easily.

Pretty sad state of affairs when teams like Western suburbs have 50 odd inexcess on their needs and dont direct them to other sides. :(

tara said:
desie said:
Probably right but the Syd Uni boys reckon that UTS are this years yardstick. However after playing both in the past 2 weeks I thinks that Sydney are ahead but its hard to judge given we played them at Uni and Uts at Rosedale. Both teams play on at all costs and are disciplined. Unless teams are prepared to be more disciplined than them they will struggle. Our biggest problem other than losing so many players in the past 12 months is we allowed but teams to play on too easily.

Pretty sad state of affairs when teams like Western suburbs have 50 odd inexcess on their needs and dont direct them to other sides. :(

We've got UTS and Sydney Uni directly after the bye this weekend and I think everyone's under the impression that they are both well in front of everyone else. Will be a good yardstick to find out exactly where we're at. Penrith have had two good wins over Mac Uni and Parramatta at home, although I've got to say I'm shocked at how far both of those sides have slipped back. The Rams have improved their stocks a bit but not to the extent of being 10 goals better than both of them.

Judging by the scores over the first couple of weeks I take it that SWS have lost some playing strength as well? I'm guessing that a number of Division One's better players are running around in Premier League this year.

You would think that Wests would run a Division Two side if they are that overstocked with players. At least direct them on to somewhere where they can get a game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

HitEmHardFreo said:
Does anyone know if Robbie Ahmat is playing in the SFL this season? I heard that he was.
Yep. He's playing for Campbelltown - kicked 4 goals in his first game last week, but the Kangaroos still got badly beaten.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back