Gold Coast List Analysis

Remove this Banner Ad

Matchu

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 12, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Gold Coast fielded their strongest team ever on the weekend against North Melbourne and had a very good result. Games indicated in brackets:

Backs - 67 games average (407 total)
FB: Broughton (92), May (41), Kolodjashnij (6)
HB: McKenzie (64), Thompson (40), Rischitelli (164)

Mids - 97 games average (503 total)
C: Shaw (59), Ablett (260), Harbrow (133)
Ruck: Nicholls (15), Prestia (58), Swallow (58)

Forwards - 44 games average (266 total)
HF: Bennell (52), Lynch (45), Hall (37)
FF: Matera (45), Day (49), Dixon (38)

Bench - 37 games average (149 total)
Lemmens (7), Stanley (65), O'Meara (29), Russell (48)

Reasonably inexperienced list (outside of the midfield) when compared to other teams in the AFL but we all know why this is. So what about their age:

Backs - 23.33 average age
FB: Broughton (27), May (22), Kolodjashnij (18)
HB: McKenzie (22), Thompson (23), Rischitelli (28)

Mids - 23.33 average age
C: Shaw (22), Ablett (29), Harbrow (25)
Ruck: Nicholls (22), Prestia (21), Swallow (21)

Forwards - 21.83 average age
HF: Bennell (21), Lynch (21), Hall (23)
FF: Matera (22), Day (21), Dixon (23)

Bench - 21.75 average age
Lemmens (19), Stanley (26), O'Meara (20), Russell (22)

This really should be the envy of every club in the AFL and their number 1 mini draft pick hasn't even been playing so it's going to get even better for them. If they can hold on to majority of these players then they are going to be very hard to beat in about two years time. To stick to the title of the thread, here is the rest of the Gold Coast list:
  • Nathan Bock (31yo, 140 games)
  • Tom Murphy (28yo, 112 games)
  • Zac Smith (23yo, 44 games)
  • Karmichael Hunt (26yo, 43 games)
  • Seb Tape (21yo, 30 games)
  • Jack Hutchins (22yo, 19 games)
  • Daniel Gorringe (21yo, 17 games)
  • Tim Sumner (19yo, 14 games)
  • Jeremy Taylor (21yo, 10 games)
  • Alex Sexton (20yo, 10 games)
  • Andrew Boston (20yo, 8 games)
  • Josh Hall (24yo, 5 games)
  • Jackson Allen (21yo, 4 games)
  • Jesse Lonergan (19yo, 4 games)
  • Clay Cameron (19yo, 4 games)
  • Jack Martin (19yo, 1 game)
  • Leigh Osbourne (24yo, 1 game)

If anyone is willing, they should do a GWS comparison. I'll do it eventually if no one else wants to.

Really should be the envy? Of course it should but the other clubs haven't had the opportunity to create such a list. My cat could of compiled a strong list with what the GC got (and GWS).

Another * up in an age where people's love for the game is wearing thin.

Really should be the envy? Of course it should but the other clubs haven't had the opportunity to create such a list. My cat could of compiled a strong list with what the GC got (and GWS).

Another **** up in an age where people's love for the game is wearing thin.

This was posted in the main board and I've quoted it for effect. It shows how different the GC and GWS concessions were. GWS had 14 first rounders in their team on the weekend while Gold Coast had just 6.

That's funny, I did the same for Gold Coast and it was the opposite. Two thirds of their team from the weekend (which any GC fan will tell you was the best 22 they've ever fielded) was taken outside of the national draft:

B: K. Kolodjashnij (Pick 5), S. May (Local talent selection), G. Broughton (Traded in for Pick 36)
HB:
S. Lemmens (Pick 27), R. Thompson (Local talent selection), T. McKenzie (17yo pre-draft selection)
C:
M. Shaw (17yo pre-draft selection), G. Ablett (No 1 in the game, acquired for nothing), J. Harbrow (acquired for free)
HF:
A. Hall (PSD Pick 7), T. Lynch (Pick 11), D. Stanley (Rookie Pick 5)
F:
C. Dixon (Local talent selection), S. Day (Pick 3), B. Matera (17yo pre-draft selection)
R:
T. Nicholls (17yo pre-draft selection), J. O’Meara (Mini Draft 1), D. Swallow (Pick 1)
INT:
D. Prestia (Pick 9), M. Rischitelli (acquired for nothing), L. Russell(17yo pre-draft selection), H. Bennell (Pick 2)

17yo Pre-Draft Selection - 5
Local Talent Selection - 3
Free agent - 3
Traded - 1
Mini-draft - 1
1st round draft picks - 6
2nd round draft picks - 1
PSD - 1
Rookie - 1

Hutchins gorringe Sumner boston are all highly rated duds. list has very little depth and they won't be able to fill that huge gap when ablett leaves

Sumner just about the worst player in the league. Admittedly I don't watch him a whole lot, but every single time I've seen him play, without hyperbole, he has done SFA, with a few clangers in there. Can't believe he got handed the no. 3 jersey.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back