2nds Gold Coast Reserves: Title Defense 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

So basically as I understand, The Finals are expanding to 10 teams with 7th playing 10th and 8th playing 9th in an American-style "Wildcard Round"

Top 6 get a week off and get joined by the two play-in winners and the finals series proceeds as normal.

This means that just under half of the VFL's 21 teams will play Finals in 2023.

So basically as I understand, The Finals are expanding to 10 teams with 7th playing 10th and 8th playing 9th in an American-style "Wildcard Round"

Top 6 get a week off and get joined by the two play-in winners and the finals series proceeds as normal.

Correct, It's not really a wild card round it's more that the AFL is expanding the finals series to 10 teams...

Other notes from today's announcement:

• Round 1 will align with the second round of the AFL (March 25)
  • 18 matches, and 4 byes (again)
  • Grand Final to be played on September 24

Probably a good thing to have close to 50% of the league competing in the post-season competition each year and I think this is a sign of things to come in the AFL when the league introduces a 19th Tasmanian team (and eventually a 20th team as well). I suspect we'll see one of the six Victorian standalone teams drop out in the near future (Coburg, Frankston, Northern Bullants, Port Melbourne, Werribee or Williamstown) to make it an even 20 team competition with 10 teams taking part in the post-season competition. Then we'll likely see another one of those standalone Victorian teams drop out and they will be replaced by the Tasmanian AFL reserves team.

It's also great for Gold Coast footy to have two extra spots available for both our 2s and the Southport Sharks. We saw what it did for Queensland footy this year when we made the VFL prelims along with Southport and Brisbane so you'd have to think it's pretty likely we'll have at least one Queensland team competing in the VFL finals each season with these two extra spots available now. If you look back at the history of our reserves team you'll see we've made the finals five times and missed the finals six times but this is obviously going to help that cause. You really can't underestimate how important it is for our recent draftees and academy prospects to have a competitive reserves team in the VFL. This is the key ingredient to our list build.

Curious if you guys are going to sign in VFL top ups? or just run with your extended rookie list, and academy kids.
Yeah, Gold Coast has just been running with their Academy players but they usually don't need many to play because of their extended list

We did have Morgan ferres signed as a vfl player last year?
But he played only 1 or 2 games very early and then we never saw him again.

I’m sure we’ll go academy only.

Getting the 4 young potential draftees familiar with our ‘systems’ a year earlier will be great.

Imagine if Jed comes out and kicks 20 goals from 10 games or something similar :)

Getting the 4 young potential draftees familiar with our ‘systems’ a year earlier will be great.

Imagine if Jed comes out and kicks 20 goals from 10 games or something similar :)
Will depend how much VFL he can play; given he'll have school footy? And then there is the afl academy commitments.

Academy kids have a games limit I'm pretty sure.

Academy kids have a games limit I'm pretty sure.
I don't think so;

Jed Foggo played 11 games
Riley Stone played 14 games
Jared Eckersley played 11 games
Marlin Corbett played 10 games.... and so on.

So unless that limit is 14? I doubt it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

View attachment 1580748
As discussed, probably not going to be a lot of news due to the way the Suns run their program but the main topic is that it does not seem like Jackson Kornberg will be the VFL coach in 2023 after a role change with the club. I'm waiting to hear who will take the helm.
It will be Josh Drummond

No losses at all there.
Blakely, Anderson and Stein are all better players and walk straight into a better VFL 22.
Agree.
I'm definitely keeping a keen eye on Sportsbet for when the VFL odds come out.
No doubt we'll be ranked mid pack but think we've got a really great team this year and a decent shout for the premiership.

Bookies are often out on this stuff random stuff early on.

For rising star I put some money shortly after it opened on
Elijah Hollands @ $23 now into $13
Jai Culley @ $67 now into $34
Josh Goater @ $101 now into $41

Agree.
I'm definitely keeping a keen eye on Sportsbet for when the VFL odds come out.
No doubt we'll be ranked mid pack but think we've got a really great team this year and a decent shout for the premiership.

Bookies are often out on this stuff random stuff early on.

For rising star I put some money shortly after it opened on
Elijah Hollands @ $23 now into $13
Jai Culley @ $67 now into $34
Josh Goater @ $101 now into $41
Will be a good year to punt on us for the flag. Huge sniff

FoVPEbfaIAEIURq

A home match against Williamstown to start the season

On the day that the Suns play Carlton in the AFL Men's in Melbourne at the MCG (1:10pm), we are also scheduled to play Northern Bullants in the VFL also in Melbourne at Preston City Oval (12:05pm). Daresay I am quite annoyed, frustrated and disappointed by this!!! Why schedule our seniors and reserves on at the same time in the same city especially when us in Melbourne don't get a lot of Suns matches!!!

Difficulty score (per ladder position) – 0.5 points away v interstate; 1 point away or neutral same state; 1.5 home same state or neutral interstate; 2 points home interstate. Lowest score is the hardest fixture.

Coach: Josh Drummond (replacing Jackson Kornberg)
Last season: 4th (14-7)
Fixture: Wil (H), Gee (H), San (A), bye, NM (H), Ric (A), Cas (H), Sou (A), Wer (A), Foo (H), PM (A), bye, NB (A), Box (H), Ess (A), Fra (H), bye, GWS (A), BL (H), bye, Syd (A), Car (H)
Doesn’t play: Coburg, Collingwood
Interstate trips: NSW 2, Victoria 6
Summary: The Suns would be happy with their start, hosting their first two games against 2022 non-finalists Williamstown and Geelong, which gives them a chance of early momentum. Rounds 6-11 look likely to make or break their season, with home games against reigning premiers Casey and 2021 minor premiers Footscray spliced in between trips to Richmond, Werribee and a likely much-improved Port Melbourne. The Coast Clash will be played at Fankhauser, while the QClash is at home.
Difficulty score: 247 (ranked 11th)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back