News Google Stadia

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 25, 2011
Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Overnight at GDC Google unveiled their new streaming service, which was known as Project Stream previously. They claim it will support up to 4K 60fps, with back end infrastructure already in place for 8K streaming, and will be fronted by YouTube's video codec. Initially it won't be rolling out to Australia.

I don't know what I think. I honestly think this will be the future, but not now. Microsoft have also been developing their own streaming service using One S technology on the back end for a 1080p streaming service and will be within the Game Pass ecosystem. Microsoft may have to revise and upgrade their plans if Stadia takes off. Let's pretend the Australian internet infrastructure isn't crap, data centres would be required on both coasts at a minimum. On my 50/5 cable I ping anywhere from 15-35 to Sydney servers. I can live with that for online gaming because my end is still responsive even if in replays or kill cams it looks like I lag a little. Though playing a single player game at the ~40ms latency they're reporting IMO is not good enough yet. To get an idea what that's like, turn all of your TV's image enhancements on while trying to play your console. The input lag is small but noticeable and that's what this streaming will be like. I'm not sure I'm too keen with the idea of playing games using YouTube's video compression either.

Another one of my concerns is how will it work in terms of payment? My assumption is subscriptions and probably tiered subscriptions. I fear the mobile game model creeping in and we'll start seeing large parts of games being almost completely locked away, more so than anything we see now with DLC.

Still, I think it's a big move and an important one and will be the future.

A bit more info here https://press-start.com.au/news/201...g-platform-with-some-pretty-amazing-features/

If you want to know everything, including how the wifi controller works, what's under the hood on the back end etc, then Digital Foundry have it all covered.

Gonna be as successful as Google+

Sadly I don’t think this will be the case. Too many companies have been pouring millions of dollars into developing a Netflix like streaming platform for gaming. Microsoft will probably be the next to announce it and then don’t be surprised to see companies like Samsung enter in the future.

Sadly I don’t think this will be the case. Too many companies have been pouring millions of dollars into developing a Netflix like streaming platform for gaming. Microsoft will probably be the next to announce it and then don’t be surprised to see companies like Samsung enter in the future.
And therefore we will have too many fingers in the pie and it will collapse

i read they have no plans to actually release this in Aus. will probably be a slow start to their life in games, they'll have to tweak things and listen to feedback before perhaps being one of the better gaming streaming services in a few years, if that actually becomes more of a thing. but again lol @ our internet we can't participate in much of the high end streaming stuff yet

At least they showed new Doom Eternal footage during the demo of it

And therefore we will have too many fingers in the pie and it will collapse
That could happen. Seems like streaming video worked due to one big player and a few smaller ones getting traction early. Consumers just want one shop. Now the whole model could go to s**t due to more content creators trying to become the shop front.

Video games streaming is instead going to be a fight over content for day 1 in a saturated market place. Google is big enough to work out the issues and pay big money, just wonder if the current heavy weight companies will let them have that chance. Sony - Google alliance could be interesting as I don't think Sony have the hardware for game streaming but are the kings of first party content atm.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back