Harley Bennell Mounts A Third Comeback Bid In The AFL.

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 20, 2002
Mosman Village
AFL Club
Carlton

Who the hell does this guy think he is, he's wasted every possible opportunity he's been given and now at 30 years of age, his time has well & truly past.

Would an AFL club be silly enough to now throw him a lifeline given his chequered past ??

Who the hell does this guy think he is, he's wasted every possible opportunity he's been given and now at 30 years of age, his time has well & truly past.

Would an AFL club be silly enough to now throw him a lifeline given his chequered past ??

Super talented, good on him for trying.

But no, can't imagine an AFL club would bother given his track record.

image.jpg

They're making a movie about my comeback!

does he actually want to play afl level or is foxsports putting a bit of mayo on comments made by the port melbourne football manager?

"highest level he can" could be quite easily just vfl given his age and few years removed of afl system

doesnt seem to be any indication from bennell that he is trying to get onto an afl list

Will never forget his Peter Matera moment when he kicked 6 goals and helped the Suns smash Geelong in that game in 2014, but it's such a pity that was the apogee of his career. But if he can regain the fitness he'd need (in addition to the drug issues etc, he had chronic calf injuries) why not try again, he's only 30 and perhaps the penny has dropped with him. If he thinks he can do it, why not try again? Better than forever wondering if he ever could play again. Because talent is something that you can't really teach.

The Cats added Smith to their list when he was 31? And he won a Norm Smith last year. I could see a team in premiership contention adding Bennell if he is dominating the VFL. Different situation obviously with Bennell’s past issues injury and off field wise and having been out of the game but how old was Andrew Krakeour when he got picked up by Collingwood after spending time in jail?

I wouldn’t completely rule it out but it is unlikely you’d think. Good on him for having a go at it though, particularly if he’s finally matured and got his body and life sorted. On talent alone he is the type of player who could turn a semi/prelim final team into a premiership threat.

The Cats added Smith to their list when he was 31? And he won a Norm Smith last year. I could see a team in premiership contention adding Bennell if he is dominating the VFL. Different situation obviously with Bennell’s past issues injury and off field wise and having been out of the game but how old was Andrew Krakeour when he got picked up by Collingwood after spending time in jail?

I wouldn’t completely rule it out but it is unlikely you’d think. Good on him for having a go at it though, particularly if he’s finally matured and got his body and life sorted. On talent alone he is the type of player who could turn a semi/prelim final team into a premiership threat.
This.

He would need to absolutely dominate VFL, show extraordinary off field commitment, along with having his body not break down in the first ten rounds.

Not impossible but given his history, highly unlikely. Hope he proves me wrong.

Smith was always a disciplined and exceptionally driven footballer from the get go. Even when he came to Geelong, he was leading the way in preseason training camps.
I can't even think of any off field indiscretions either.

Bennell is finished. Even if he gets his body looking better than ever, he's lost a step and will never be anything like he was in his early 20's.
Clubs would be better off taking a stab at someone who has got close on numerous times, failed but kept playing WAFL, VFL etc.

Smith was always a disciplined and exceptionally driven footballer from the get go. Even when he came to Geelong, he was leading the way in preseason training camps.
I can't even think of any off field indiscretions either.

Bennell is finished. Even if he gets his body looking better than ever, he's lost a step and will never be anything like he was in his early 20's.
Clubs would be better off taking a stab at someone who has got close on numerous times, failed but kept playing WAFL, VFL etc.
No I know. Chalk and cheese in comparison to Bennell. Isaac Smith is a gun and the ultimate professional. I was more pointing out his age at 30 isn't the thing that will hold him back from getting another chance.

Would love to see Bennell make it, unfortunately I think it's highly unlikely. At Melbourne he showed brief glimpses of his talent but he was still a long way off. Now, because of hsi age he's even further away.

A real shame but I would enjoy been proven wrong about him

Why are you upset about it? Former AFL player wants to make a comeback, long shot but good on him for trying. Is he demanding someone draft him or pay him a million bucks?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Could be a great pickup for Geelong

Mid season Draft available.

But he'd need be murdering them in the VFL

Yeah, I suspect he doesn't have much else going for him in his life re: career prospects, so I can't blame him for giving footy one last crack. Good luck to him. If he's getting 30 touches a game and there aren't any rumours about off field antics then I can see a fringe finals team giving him a shot.

Isaac Smith was/is of great character and particularly durable. HB is/does not.

No chance he gets picked up.

With a mid season draft these days, you never know. He seemed to have turned it around quite a bit but just couldn't get the work into the body and remain uninjured. If that's changed and he's ripping fit and tearing up the VFL, why wouldn't a contending club throw him a 6 month contract? Be mad not to.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back