Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 1, 2007
Coburg
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Storm
Hi all,

Just wondering if I can get some info about what people have found to be the best coverage anywhere around Australia - might as well make use of the huge cross section of people and regions on here!

Basically my mum is travelling (driving) around Australia soon and she needs a new phone and I want to pick a provider than she can use in as many places as possible.

I'm also getting her an wireless internet usb thing (is that called a widget?? :eek:) so first hand info about coverage on those would also be much appreciated.

At least it's not a Fev thread ;)

Thanks

Thanks Sub we were tossing up between Optus and Telstra but I'm not so cluey on these things. Hope the net's just as good!

Telstra has the best coverage.

Telstra has the worst service.
I spent 5 hours over 2 days trying to sort one little issue a couple of years back.
I resorted to calling the last individual I spoke to a f#*kwit, and smashed my handset.

Telstra end up being too expensive under those circumstances, hence I've gone to Optus :mad:

If you want to get a problem fixed just utter the magic 2 words 'TELECOMMUNICATIONS OMBUDSMAN'.

Magic happens.

I am with 3, and it picks up coverage when my friends with Optus and Telstra have failed. I think it's because when it loses coverage with it's own network it then starts 'roaming', which means it starts using other networks to maintain coverage. I haven't travelled central or west with it, but it served me well travelling the east coast. It might even use 3G I think.....the other thing is that I don't really know what I'm talking about but I think all the above is accurate.

I am with 3, and it picks up coverage when my friends with Optus and Telstra have failed. I think it's because when it loses coverage with it's own network it then starts 'roaming', which means it starts using other networks to maintain coverage. I haven't travelled central or west with it, but it served me well travelling the east coast. It might even use 3G I think.....the other thing is that I don't really know what I'm talking about but I think all the above is accurate.

3 is a bit of an epic fail once you get out of larger cities and towns. Once you're away from the highways it appears to be a bit of an epic fail according to people i know on 3.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was with Optus for a long while but just got sick of constant poor reception and drop outs etc, so switched to Telstra which has much better reception.

However, Telstra is more expensive

I guess it gets down to what you want to use it for - I run my own business (although I'm also the only person in the business), so good communication coverage is very important for me. If it's for personal use, you may consider going the cheaper option if you think you're friends won't mind occasional drop outs, or you only really use the mobile for texting

Remove this Banner Ad

Back