How Secure is this forum, when losers can post offensive content and stay up for hours?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 19, 2007
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I was shocked when I got online at 5am and saw one of the most offensive posts ever. This is in an online forum where Children can enter. The thread would have enticed anyone interested in footy to look at the post from the headline. This is blatant spam, and the user should be arrested if found.

I know it was only 5am but with all the moderators around, I could not believe the post was able to stay online for so long. Maybe its time the BigFooty forum gave users the ability to vote offensive material, and if enough users vote it offensive or in violation, it is hidden for review by a moderator when they come online. If this is not done, it is quite possible that authorities could in the future force forums to moderate everything that comes in.

I was shocked when I got online at 5am and saw one of the most offensive posts ever. This is in an online forum where Children can enter. The thread would have enticed anyone interested in footy to look at the post from the headline. This is blatant spam, and the user should be arrested if found.

I know it was only 5am but with all the moderators around, I could not believe the post was able to stay online for so long. Maybe its time the BigFooty forum gave users the ability to vote offensive material, and if enough users vote it offensive or in violation, it is hidden for review by a moderator when they come online. If this is not done, it is quite possible that authorities could in the future force forums to moderate everything that comes in.

Do you see the little triangle next to the little green/blue button that is for reporting post.

I did report it but it nobody deleted the post in at least 2 hours when I went to bed.

The title was X player has been arrested for drugs.

The content was pure filth pr0n.

Get a kid filter, monitor what your kids do and don't let them run loose on the internet at 5am, nobody is getting paid to be the parents of your kids. ;)

harden up snookums. it's the internet.

Get a kid filter, monitor what your kids do and don't let them run loose on the internet at 5am, nobody is getting paid to be the parents of your kids. ;)

1. A filter doesn't filter pictures
2. This is a public forum
3. that content doesn't belong on this forum
4. some of that content is illegal in Australia
5. who's to say that kids can't be up at 7am when the post was still active.
6. I'm an adult, and was profoundly offended by the content. (Not all of us find pr0n satisfying)

If this sort of behavior was to continue, I would definitely speak out, and make sure it didn't happen again.

What I couldn't understand was why the individual responsible for that crap had been red carded, but the thread itself wasn't deleted.

A moderator must have carded him - couldn't the thread have been removed at the same time?

A moderator must have carded him - couldn't the thread have been removed at the same time?

I'll leave the broader discussion to those more senior than me, but the answer to this is most likely no. Ordinary mods (i.e. non-Admins, non-supermods) have the ability to card anyone on any board but we only have the ability to edit/delete posts from the boards we moderate. In a situation like this the mod who carded the user could probably only report the post.

Do you see the little triangle next to the little green/blue button that is for reporting post.

Could you relate the gist of it or would that in itself be too offensive?

harden up snookums. it's the internet.

oh wont somebody please think of the children:rolleyes:
Despite the various levels of sarcasm/lack of concern displayed above, the opening poster has a valid point.

That stuff was offensive - not only to kids - and obviously does not belong on a site like BigFooty.

The fact that it was left on the main board for as long as it appears to have been should be a concern to those running the site.

The fact that it is the "internet" doesn't mean that measures can't be looked at to minimize the time garbage like that is viewable.

I'll leave the broader discussion to those more senior than me, but the answer to this is most likely no. Ordinary mods (i.e. non-Admins, non-supermods) have the ability to card anyone on any board but we only have the ability to edit/delete posts from the boards we moderate. In a situation like this the mod who carded the user could probably only report the post.
Cheers, I did think that might have been the case.

A mod with the power to remove threads needs to be online overnight then, as that is when crap like this normally happens.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cheers, I did think that might have been the case.

A mod with the power to remove threads needs to be online overnight then, as that is when crap like this normally happens.

Thanks sherb, I'm glad some people know whats right.

On Youtube, users can rate comments, in your settings you can disable comments with a certain rating, say has 3 negative ratings. Couldn't a forum like this have a function where if 3 users report an offensive post, the post is then hidden and sent to a moderator for review, before being added. This would prevent the board from needing to moderate every single post, that would stink.

Thanks sherb, I'm glad some people know whats right.

On Youtube, users can rate comments, in your settings you can disable comments with a certain rating, say has 3 negative ratings. Couldn't a forum like this have a function where if 3 users report an offensive post, the post is then hidden and sent to a moderator for review, before being added. This would prevent the board from needing to moderate every single post, that would stink.
The irony is of course that this thread - ie the one making a legitimate complaint - was moved from the Main Board to the Suggestions Board in no time.

Pity that sort of speed wasn't possible when the thread being complained about needed deletion. :rolleyes:

What kids would be on at 5am? Mods have to sleep too, you know.
It was still on at around 7am here in Sydney. And it was disgusting, as I said before it wouldn't have been offensive to just kids.

In any case, this is a football messageboard, not a pr0n site. If you want to look at pr0n or offensive material, you don't come here and see it.

The reason why these clowns post it during the night is that they know it will probably stay on the site for ages.

It's fine to say that the Mods have to sleep too and I would probably agree with you for your average fan based messageboard.

But BigFooty is not some tinpot two-bit one-off site. It has a lot of members, a lot of traffic and takes in money from both subscribers and advertisers. Given its size, popularity and how well known it is, is in BigFooty's interests to find a solution to issues like this.

Despite the various levels of sarcasm/lack of concern displayed above, the opening poster has a valid point.

That stuff was offensive - not only to kids - and obviously does not belong on a site like BigFooty.

The fact that it was left on the main board for as long as it appears to have been should be a concern to those running the site.

The fact that it is the "internet" doesn't mean that measures can't be looked at to minimize the time garbage like that is viewable.

With respect my comment was trying to be helpful for I was under the impression that the OP wanted to be able to report a post and that is why I referred to the triangle :thumbsu:

Damn Limbo Clubbers. It isn't the first time.

But you can't go blaming the mods. As someone previously said, they need their sleep as well.

With respect my comment was trying to be helpful for I was under the impression that the OP wanted to be able to report a post and that is why I referred to the triangle :thumbsu:
Sorry about that, I misinterpreted your post. :)

Damn Limbo Clubbers. It isn't the first time.

But you can't go blaming the mods. As someone previously said, they need their sleep as well.

Totally understood.....

But it is illegal to show pr0n to minors, and being a public site accessible to minors, the site has some form of responsibility to ensure it doesn't happen. I put forward a solution, I hope it can be looked into.

I was shocked when I got online at 5am and saw...
Mods are not on all the time.

This thread was moved to the proper board - you posted it in the afternoon.

BigFooty is not the publisher of this material. It is a system where users can publish their own material.

Use the "Report Post" button if you find offensive material.

The thread was posted at 5.39am and deleted at 7.26am. I think that's a reasonable response time and there wouldn't be many, if any, kids on at that time.

The thread was posted at 5.39am and deleted at 7.26am. I think that's a reasonable response time and there wouldn't be many, if any, kids on at that time.
I notice you didn't report the post.
In my case I didn't report it because when I viewed it the OP had already been red-carded.

So clearly a mod had seen the thread and chosen (for whatever reason) not to delete it. Reporting it wasn't going to achieve anything more in those circumstances.

At the end of the day, if the powers that be are prepared to accept that sort of content sitting there on Big Footy for a hour or two or three, then that is their choice. It is not a very pretty or professional look though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back