Delisted Hugh Goddard

Remove this Banner Ad

Has suffered from not playing at all for the rest of the season which has seen his name slowly drift down the board. Not sure what else I can put on his thread to keep him up the top . Maybe I will just keep writing things like this hahaha.

BUY HUGH GODDARDS PRIDE GUERNSEY

Same as last year + 10% donation from the Guernsey auction goes to GALFA - The Gay and Lesbian Foundation of Australia (GALFA) is a charitable foundation whose purpose is to provide funds for charitable activities/organisations which have as their sole or chief purpose/outcome, the good and betterment of Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Intersex people and allied communities, in Australia.

Goddard - #23 Match Worn and Signed Guernsey
Comes with AFLPA Certificate of Authenticity
Rainbow player numbers on the back
Guernsey manufactured by X Blades

Hopefully we will have a few more of these with Roo in them.
https://shar.es/1TFXy0

Roo singing the club song after his last home game against North .
https://shar.es/1Svz3B

Ok, so it's nothing to do with Hugh but who cares lol, it's good for history, lol.

Last edited:
Congratulations to Brains Trust66 for making the preliminary final of his SuperCoach game for his first time ever . Previous best over the last 4 seasons was 3rd last twice and bottom twice . This season I have been up there all year , wooohhhoooo.

I lost in the preliminary final but still happy to have got there for once .

Last edited:
Last edited:
He was moving well as he signed autographs which is a good start . Hopefully he will be fit at the start of preseason and then move on to a big year . He's my tip for the big improver for next year although I'm slightly biased.
50757bfea09b6a52dbb321c71c433e97.jpg

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hornsby said highly rated key defender Hugh Goddard will arrive at the starting line ready to go after overcoming a turf toe injury that derailed his 2017 campaign, as will young spearhead Paddy McCartin who missed the final two months of the season due to concussion.

“Hugh has been in the full off-season program and he will be unrestricted from day one,” he said.

“He’s overcome that nasty injury turf toe and he was able to get some good conditioning in late in the year and has continued that over the break. He’s ready to hit the ground running which is a great sign for Hughie.

Young St Kilda key defender Hugh Goddard has already faced his fair share of injury troubles, but he’s out the other side and ready to attack the pre-season from the start.

After rupturing his Achilles tendon in his only senior appearance in 2016, the highly rated 21-year-old missed most of this season following surgery to repair torn ligaments in his foot.

Goddard, who has played nine games since being selected with pick No. 21 in the 2014 AFL Draft, said his time on the sidelines has enhanced his desire to not only return to the highest level, but to cement a spot in St Kilda’s defence.

“I think it’s one of those things, it’s a bit of a cliché, but with sport there are lots of things that do get in the way, it’s up and down, you’ve got to just take it in your stride,” Goddard told saints.com.au at St Kilda’s first to fourth-year camp.

“I think the injuries have made me stronger in terms of just that want to play AFL and that want to be out there with the group and the want to get out there and do the stuff that I love doing.”

Having returned to full fitness by the start of September, the Geelong Falcons product was able to complete a full off-season program before starting the pre-season on Wednesday with the rest of the first to fourth-year players.

“It’s been great to start fully fit on day one,” Goddard said.

“I popped back into the club a week before we officially started last Wednesday just to tick everything off and to make sure I was in good nick and ready to go.

“It was all positive feedback from there so I’ve been able to do everything and I’m just loving being back and doing everything.”

While he wasn’t able to get on the park for most of 2017, Goddard was able to spend time working closely with fellow key defender Jake Carlisle and Assistant Coach Danny Frawley, trawling through game tapes to develop his game while he was out of the game.

“When I wasn’t playing I went through vision with Jake; he’s been great to sit down with and watch his vision and with Danny Frawley as well,” he said.

“Jake’s second half of the year was unbelievable, so I really want to be able to work with him and get on the park with him and be able to play with him.

“I think we can play a similar intercepting role and work together. I’m really looking forward to working with him and soaking up as much as I can.”

As St Kilda pursues an elusive second premiership, a defensive spine comprising Carlisle and Goddard has quite a nice ring to it.

ST KILDA youngster Hugh Goddard appears to have finally found some of the luck that deserted him over the past two seasons.

After enduring serious Achilles and foot injuries in a torrid 24 months, the 21-year-old has been impressive on the track in his fourth pre-season at the Saints.

Goddard looked fit and healthy on the track on Friday, attacking training with a vigour that will give himself a chance to build on his nine career games.

With the Saints looking for more depth in the key defensive spots, assistant coach Ben McGlynn said Goddard hadn't put a foot wrong so far this off-season.

"Hugh has been training and doing all the skills and running, which is positive for him, McGlynn told AFL.com.au.

"He's been through a fair bit in terms of injuries but he's applied himself over the break to get himself a good opportunity to get the continuity in his body.

"Hopefully he can play some good footy next year."

Goddard is being kept on his toes by three players looking to revive their AFL careers, with former Eagle Tom Lamb, delisted Docker Sam Collins and ex-Kangaroo Will Fordham all joining in pre-season training in the hope of getting another chance.

Lamb displayed his elite endurance with a powerful run in one km time trial for the first-to-fourth year players, coming from behind to win in impressive fashion.

"They've got a great opportunity to try and continue their careers, and it's good for the group to have a bit of competition," McGlynn said.

"They've all acquitted themselves in the right manner so far, so it gives them a chance at another opportunity."

Second-year forward Josh Battle and midfielder Jack Sinclair also finished well in front of the pack in warm conditions at Seaford.

While he was happy with the shape all the Saints' youngsters returned in after their break, McGlynn was particularly impressed with output of Irishmen Darragh Joyce and Ray Connellan.

Not yet acclimatised to Melbourne's warmer weather after a trip home to the Emerald Isle, the duo has won the respect of their teammates with their attitude to training.

"They've both returned in good condition, even if the heat is getting to them a little bit," McGlynn said.

"They've put the work in over the break, so they're looking to have a big impact on the group in the way they've prepared themselves."

FINALLY injury free and flying on the track, St Kilda defender Hugh Goddard admits it would be “silly” not to be eyeing off Round 1.

The former Geelong Falcon is enjoying his first full pre-season since being plucked by the Saints with pick 21 in the 2014 national draft, overcoming back-to-back season-ending injuries which threatened to derail his career.

An Achilles tendon injury ended 2016 for Goddard, while 2017 ended with surgery to repair ligaments in his right foot.

But with that in the past, the 21-year-old is now looking to the future and the Round 1 clash with Brisbane at Etihad Stadium.

“I’m eyeing off Round 1. I think it would be silly if you weren’t,” Goddard said.

“(Pre-season has) been unreal. For me, obviously, coming back and being able to be a part of everything right from the beginning is great.

99bf9f4d392883876c3a708820665692

Hugh Goddard is injury free.
428a2199484410ced1b9abbc97eb31c4

Goddard is hoping to play from the first round.
“I’m trying to optimise it (pre-season) as much as possible. I’m enjoying being back with the team and the group and being able to do everything that everyone else is doing. (It) is something I won’t take for granted now with the last couple of years that I’ve had.

“I am trying to keep myself out on the track as much as I can.”

A highly talented swingman during his time at the Falcons, Goddard has found a home in defence at the Saints.

Experienced backs Jake Carlisle and Nathan Brown have taken him under their wing and Goddard says he is learning a lot under their guidance.

New assistant coach Henry Playfair is also having an impact after making the switch to St Kilda from Sydney.

“He (Playfair) has made a massive impact on our defenders, (and is) a really respectable coach with some great insights from Sydney and Geelong,” Goddard said.

“I am loving having him on board.”

While most of Goddard’s time is spent in Melbourne, he still finds time to return home to Geelong.

His parents have moved to Pt Lonsdale, making for the ideal getaway for some time away from footy.

“It’s a great balance for me to get down there (to Point Lonsdale) and have a bit of a swim and a surf, maybe play a bit of golf with some mates,” he said.

“Jack’s (Steven) a Lorne boy and Paddy’s (McCartin) from around Geelong as well, so we try and bring some of the boys from up here down there to show them around.

“I try get back home when I can to visit the parents … so I’m always back down that way every now and again.

“Over Christmas time it’s time for the family so I will be getting back down there.”

I'm actually starting to feel a bit excited and bullish about him again, hearing all this positive talk about him and how he's going.

I was a huge fan of him pre draft and in his first season with us, so if he has a full preseason and gets really fit and gets back into form he could indeed be a wildcard for us. Like Freezer.

Easy to forget that he had 20 disposals in one of his senior games in his first year, which is nothing to sneeze at for someone his size at 18yo.

Just have to wipe last seasons games from my mind when he was obviously not fit . Sounds like he is burning the place down in his effort to get back in the seniors, great news.

Can’t wait for 2018 season.

Unlucky Saint Hugh Goddard to put best foot forward and reclaim defensive post
  • Peter Ryan

St Kilda defender Hugh Goddard is up for the fight to win a key defensive post in the Saints' back line.

Having overcome a ruptured Achilles that sidelined him for a season, the 21-year-old was on the verge of returning to senior football in June when he hurt ligaments in his toe.

1513908119506.jpg

St Kilda's Hugh Goddard has enjoyed a hassle-free pre-season so far. Photo: AAP
Surgery followed and a frustrated Goddard missed the second half of last season, the three years between being selection 21 in the 2014 national draft and today passing like wildfire.

In the short time the young key defender has been at the club, the Saints have kept bolstering their back line, recruiting Jake Carlisle, Nathan Brown and, in the trade period, Logan Austin, after making an unsuccessful play for Adam Tomlinson.

It's made Goddard well aware competition for spots is hot but he sees it as healthy for the Saints.

"I believe in myself, as everyone else would ... that is what we're here for," Goddard said.

"As cliched as it is you have to put your best foot forward to be able to put yourself in the best position to claim a spot."

Despite his injury troubles, Goddard described his mindset as "optimistic" after entering his first pre-season for three years able to participate from day one.

Get the latest news and updates emailed straight to your inbox.

He had quickly overcome the initial frustration when he was told his toe injury was worse than first thought and now claims the experience taught him something about himself.

"I learnt how important footy is for me and I have grown as a person in terms of being more part of the club," Goddard said.

That connection each person has with others is an aspect the Saints are driving through the off-season as all teams take note of the tight bond Richmond created on the way to a premiership.

The Saints have faith their young group that includes Jack Billings, Paddy McCartin, Blake Acres, Josh Battle, Jade Gresham, Luke Dunstan and Jack Steele can push the team up the ladder now that their veterans Nick Riewoldt and Leigh Montagna have retired.

1511594065304.png

St Kilda's prized 2017 draft selections Hunter Clark (left) and Nicholas Coffield. Photo: AAP

They also recruited two top-10 picks in Hunter Clark and Nick Coffield via the national draft and added rangy intercept defender Oscar Clavarino and midfielder Ben Paton with later picks.

It means a new era has arrived at St Kilda.

"It's up to us to drive the club," Goddard said.

"It's about us starting to drive [each other] and the older guys maintaining it and pushing us as well."

Can’t wait for 2018 season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back