Delisted Hugh Goddard

Remove this Banner Ad

Screenshot_2015_12_17_21_19_41.png

Hugh very happy with #23!

Boekhorst wouldve been there at 28 for sure. The issue then is they miss on Rainbow because he doesnt make it to 60.

Even still, Boekhorst over Laverde and Goddard is just crazy...

Its different for the Hawks when they took Isaac Smith. They had already won a flag and he was topping off a mini rebuild.

Carlton are miles away. They are yet to bottom out on this list and they are only in for more time at the bottom.

Once Judd retires in 12 months their midfield will be close to the worst in the comp. Murphy, Gibbs and then nothing that will get them close to top 4 anytime soon.

Boekhorst might be ready to play from round one but so are Laverde and Goddard. Tom Lamb is another who is 3 years younger and could also provide run and carry off the wing.

In fact I would say those three are more AFL ready given their size. Boekhorst is the same weight as Jack Lonie! :confused:

He will be a handy player but given the talent available you have to question their thinking.

The only explanation I can come up with is that they genuinely think that they can make finals next year (after dumping their #2 KPF in Waite, #1 small forward in Garlett and #3 inside mid in McLean) and that Boekhorst will slot straight into the 22.

If that's the case then I hope everyone at Carlton keeps their job. If they get sacked the club might hire someone who has a clue!

Looking back now , they stuffed up , I don't follow the Carlton list but has Boekhorst even played ? If he has he hadn't set the ground on fire or anything . They lost big in losing Betts and Waite and they have drafted badly . They spent a lot of money to get Daisey from Collingwood and he has done bugger all. Now they spend all their picks getting seconds players from the giants because SOS worked there. Their scouts are getting their money pretty easily if you ask me .

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

It's an honor to take over a player advocate for such a popular player , even though he is recovering from injury I have hopes of him getting back into the seniors before the end of the year. I'm sure all Saints fans hope that happens . But he is certainly going to have to earn his spot back when he is fit unless we have a bunch of injuries which I hope never happens . I want him to earn his spot through great play in the seconds . I won't be able to make many games for Sandringham or the Saints live due to illness but I will try to see as much as possible especially when Hugh is fit again and playing for Sandy trying to force his way back into the seniors.

Highly rated key defender Hugh Goddard endured a challenging second year at St Kilda, with a ruptured Achilles tendon ending his season midway through his only senior appearance of 2016.

The 20-year-old's campaign got off on the wrong note early when he suffered heat exhaustion during the Saints’ pre-season training camp on the Sunshine Coast.

After playing the final eight games of last season, Goddard was forced to bide his time in the VFL before earning another opportunity at AFL level in Round 11.

In a cruel blow, Goddard’s return to senior football ended swiftly on Adelaide Oval when his foot crumbled underneath him when he changed direction following Crows power forward Josh Jenkins on the lead.

The 2014 first-round pick, who is considered a key piece of St Kilda’s long-term puzzle, is expected to make a full recovery by the start of the 2017 season.

444959_nl.jpg

Alan Richardson’s Views:

“It was quite a frustrating and challenging year for Hugh after a really positive start to his career in 2015. He had some physical challenges in the pre-season and that put him behind the eight ball a little bit. He worked hard in the VFL to continue to adapt to the way that we defend and unfortunately when he got his chance he got injured. All the way through he’s a pro for a young bloke; his commitment to his footy, his teammates and his footy club is first class; he’s going to be a really important player for us in the future.

“Like Hugh does, he doesn’t take long to dwell on the negatives, he moves on pretty quick and focuses on what he can do. In fact, within two or three days afterwards her brought in his preparation book and sat down with Danny Frawley and Rohan Welsh to work out what he can work on and improve on whilst he was unable to run and how he can look at vision and learn from the better defenders in the game.

“So that’s what he’s like, that’s the sort of person he is; he won’t leave any stone unturned in his rehabilitation. So he’ll be right to go at the start of next season. The plan is he’ll be right to go for Round 1. He’ll be fairly pedestrian for a while, but he’ll ramp that up as he progresses through his rehab.”

The Numbers:

AFL
1 game

VFL
5 games
12.4 disposals
5.2 marks
3.0 tackles

Looking back now , they stuffed up , I don't follow the Carlton list but has Boekhorst even played ? If he has he hadn't set the ground on fire or anything . They lost big in losing Betts and Waite and they have drafted badly . They spent a lot of money to get Daisey from Collingwood and he has done bugger all. Now they spend all their picks getting seconds players from the giants because SOS worked there. Their scouts are getting their money pretty easily if you ask me .

At the time people thought that either Carlton know something no-one else does, or they are insane.

So
2015:
Boekhorst 11 games. 12.5 av disposals 2.3 av tackles
Laverde 9 games. 13 av disposals 3.7 av tackles
Goddard 8 games . 11.9 av disposals 0.9 av tackles
McKenzie 7 games. 10.8 av disposals 2.8 av tackles
Toby McLean 4 games 15.5 av disposals 1.5 av tackles
Sinclair 18 games 10.7 av disposals 2.5 av tackles

2016:
Boekhorst 7 games. 13.4 av disposals 2 av tackles
Laverde 9 games. 11.6 av disposals 2.8 av tackles
Goddard 1 game 2 disposals 0 tackles
McKenzie 9 games 12.6 av disposals 3.2 av tackles
McLean 15 games 17.3 av disposals 2.5 av tackles
Sinclear 9 games 12.5 av disposals 2.6 av tackles

From that lot , only the Bulldog's McLean has really broken out and cemented a spot for himself.
Boekhorst seems to be no better or worse than the others BUT.......
You don't draft a 21 year old WAFL player with your first round pick if you are expecting him to take 3 years to develop.

Talls take longer , and Goddards injury has effectively cost him a season. With Brown and Carlisle, we can afford to keep the pressure off him and let him develop in the VFL as our club see's fit. His early games showed that he had plenty of upside.

Last edited:

If you have a message saying unsupported media do the following.
Click on the link , click on more , click on web view and the photo will come up . It's a problem with getting stuff from Insta gram.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

At the time people thought that either Carlton know something no-one else does, or they are insane.

So
2015:
Boekhorst 11 games. 12.5 av disposals 2.3 av tackles
Laverde 9 games. 13 av disposals 3.7 av tackles
Goddard 8 games . 11.9 av disposals 0.9 av tackles
McKenzie 7 games. 10.8 av disposals 2.8 av tackles
Toby McLean 4 games 15.5 av disposals 1.5 av tackles
Sinclair 18 games 10.7 av disposals 2.5 av tackles

2016:
Boekhorst 7 games. 13.4 av disposals 2 av tackles
Laverde 9 games. 11.6 av disposals 2.8 av tackles
Goddard 1 game 2 disposals 0 tackles
McKenzie 9 games 12.6 av disposals 3.2 av tackles
McLean 15 games 17.3 av disposals 2.5 av tackles
Sinclear 9 games 12.5 av disposals 2.6 av tackles

From that lot , only the Bulldog's McLean has really broken out and cemented a spot for himself.
Boekhorst seems to be no better or worse than the others BUT.......
You don't draft a 21 year old WAFL player with your first round pick if you are expecting him to take 3 years to develop.

Talls take longer , and Goddards injury has effectively cost him a season. With Brown and Carlisle, we can afford to keep the pressure off him and let him develop in the VFL as our club see's fit. His early games showed that he had plenty of upside.

Assuming that Carlisle and Brown stay injury free , does anyone think we can fit Goddard in the team with those two as well ?

Does anyone think that there is room in the side for Brown, Carlisle and a fit Goddard ? Don't even ask me who would have to go out for Goddard to come in , just assume Goddard is fit and had been playing for Sandy and playing well. There's an injury to maybe Dempster . Could we fit the three big guys in there ? I think we could . Brown would stay at full back . Goddard could pick up the chf and Carlisle could be the lose man in defence or play on a third tall if they had one . Or Goddard and Carlisle could swap depending who we play . Watching the highlights of Goddards early career he has quite a good yard of pace for a big boy.

I suppose it depends on who we are playing and who their forwards are too

Its hard to say.
A team like Adelaide has 3 talls.
HG could go to Jenkins. One of the others would have to go to Walker and one to Lynch. It could work, but i think i'd prefer Dempster on Lynch.

If one of the talls is a fwd/ruck, it could allow Carlisle to just play that man the entire game.

p1.jpg

Hugh Goddard taking it easy at Saints Intra Club Match !6th Feb 2017 . Hugh is second from the right . He wasn't ready to play yet .
He with Freeman seen here taking his sun glasses off went into the rooms while the players were in there then walked to where the players on the Bench were going to be sitting. Both he and Freeman seemed to be moving fine which was good to see. Maybe Goddard isn't too far away from playing.

Big Hughey was in commentary for some of the intra club match yesterday (first half from memory) and amongst other things said he's dropped 6-7kg, which I was pretty glad to hear- as I suspect he might have bulked up too much last year, resulting in him struggling to regain his form from the previous year.

Yeah I heard the interview just before , I was going to replay it and make some notes but not too well at the moment. My back is really sore . I don't work because of my bad back. When it hurts like it is now my whole body hurts , like my chest and everything . Unfortunately I can only take so many pain killers as I'm on really strong ones now . Anyway I agree with what you said about him having bulked up too much last year .

As pointed out by Aussierulesrules and Mat Mann , Hugh did a short stint in the commentary during the intra club game. Basically he said has has dropped some weight and that he hasn't started running yet . I saw him walking around the ground and at least he isnt limping so that's a good sign in fact if you didn't know better you would think he was just rested for the game. But alas no, he can walk but still can't run which means he is a long way off playing even for Sandy at this stage. But as long as he fully recovers even if it takes the whole year then so be it , he's still going to be a great player for us . When his footy career does eventually end he might have a career in the media as he is very comfortable behind the mike for such a young player.
Thanks to Aussierulesrules and Mat Mann for letting me know about the interview.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back