Senior Hunter Clark

Remove this Banner Ad

Hamill says -
Hunter Clark 12 kicks, 8 handballs, 3 marks, 3 tackles

With Hunter and ‘Coff’, it’s about unleashing them in the AFL environment when they’re ready and capable – there’s no rush to get them in when they’re not right. When they’re right and they can contribute on a consistent basis, they’ll be playing, and as we’ve seen this year, Hunter’s played some really good AFL footy for us. He’s played forward, mid, wing, back, so he’s played quite a different role for us every time he’s been at the AFL level.

Go Saints

RELATED

Clark’s class recognised
Rising Star nominee: Hunter Clark
Hunter looks like he’s going to be a natural midfielder – he has plenty of class and plenty of time with the ball.
Danny Sexton, Director of Coaching
While on-field success for St Kilda was limited throughout the year, Hunter Clark delivered plenty of positivity for the red, white and black faithful in his debut season.

Taken at pick No.7 in the 2017 National Draft, the 19-year-old Dandenong Stingrays star proved a worthwhile addition to the St Kilda line-up throughout the year, finishing Season 2018 with 15 games under his belt.

Despite missing the final three matches, Clark was commendable throughout the middle portion of the year, improving with each performance and showing his importance to the Saints’ future.

Clark ended the year with an average of 15 touches and just under three tackles a game, developing his midfield craft alongside the likes of Trevor Barker Award-winner and runner-up, Jack Steven and Seb Ross.

The Mt Martha boy also showcased his versatility at such a young age, spending time at both the attacking and defensive ends.

After piecing together a solid 12-disposal debut with a goal to boot against Brisbane, Clark was omitted following the Saints’ underwhelming efforts against North Melbourne in Round 2.

But the youngster returned in fine form in Round 7, cementing a spot in the St Kilda side for the next 11 games, inclusive of three 20+ disposal efforts against top-tier sides Melbourne, Collingwood and Richmond.

Clark’s breakout efforts were recognised by the AFL following the Saints’ stirring two-point victory over Gold Coast at Metricon Stadium, in which he received the Round 13 NAB Rising Star nomination.

Finishing with 17 disposals, six tackles and five intercept possessions, Clark was pivotal across half-back, filling the void left by skipper Jarryn Geary and Jimmy Webster and helping keep the Suns scoreless in the final term.

Director of Coaching Danny Sexton praised the midfielder’s abilities and potential to become a reliable contributor in the years to come.

“Hunter looks like he’s going to be a natural midfielder – he has plenty of class and plenty of time with the ball,” Sexton said.

“If you play 15 games in your first year, you’ve done pretty well.”

The versatility shown by the 19-year-old emerged as an invaluable trait in his debut season, with his ability to piece together solid performances across all areas of the ground crucial given the Saints’ revolving door of injuries.

“[Hunter] was probably thrown around a little bit by circumstance more than anything else, but he showed that he could perform in each area of the field,” Sexton said.

“He showed real flexibility, and he showed that he’s going to have a future.”

Clark enjoyed impressive outings against Collingwood (21 disposals), West Coast (11 contested possessions, six tackles) and Melbourne (20 disposals, four inside 50s), with each highlighting his emerging skills in the midfield.

He was often influential in the second half, but having an immediate impact on the contest will be a strong focus heading into 2019 as he continues to develop his craft.

“His best footy was later in games when probably the sting had gone out a little bit, but [he’s still] very clean with the ball, very good in contests and a good tackler,” Sexton said.

If the glimpses we saw in 2018 are anything to go by, Hunter Clark showed he’ll be one to watch.

‪Rising Star nominee: Hunter Clark http://www.saints.com.au/video/2018-08-31/rising-star-nominee-hunter-clark via @stkildafc‬

Go Saints

Looks like Brains Trust did a great job as Hunter’s Player Advocate last season. Hope to keep an eye on Hunter’s progress and will now watch him even more closely in matches. Really like him. Tough, lots of skill. Does things at pace and seems quite fearless. Just needs to get a bigger tank and impact games for a bit longer. Am sure that is coming as he matures and gets more training.

Go Hunter!

Last edited:
From AFL.COM.AU's review of the 2017 draftees.....

Pick 7: Hunter Clark
Spent time all over the ground in his debut season but the Saints think he could be a midfielder next year. He would bring much-needed kicking class to that area of the ground, while he is tough and can win his own ball. His composure and decision-making will also help him deliver the footy accurately.

Hunter
CLARK
CENTRE BOUNCE CLEARANCES

ABOVE AVG

GAMES PLAYED

UNCONTESTED POSSESSIONs

ABOVE AVG

Looks like Brains Trust did a great job as Hunter’s Player Advocate last season. Hope to keep an eye on Hunter’s progress and will now watch him even more closely in matches. Really like him. Tough, lots of skill. Does things at pace and seems quite fearless. Just needs to get a bigger tank and impact games for a bit longer. Am sure that is coming as he matures and gets more training.

Go Hunter!

Actually I wasn't Hunters advocate last season but I helped out where I could. I'm hoping Hunter has a huge year next year.

Go Saints

(Log in to remove this ad.)

47504619_10156396479613183_8958846951009288192_o.jpg

Hunter Clark had big shoes to fill when he took on Leigh Montagna’s prestigious number 11.

But after 15 games for St Kilda in his debut season, the headbanded hero has proven himself to be a reliable contributor, producing flashes of flair, brilliance and composure akin to his predecessor.

And just like Montagna, the 19-year-old wants to solidify himself as a mainstay throughout the middle of the ground.

Clark is one of many young players vying for a coveted spot in St Kilda’s midfield, with the likes of Jade Gresham, Blake Acres and Jack Billings striving to play more game time through the centre.

Circumstance more than anything restricted the Dandenong Stingrays jet from spending more time in the midfield last season, yet his ability to adapt and overcome the challenges thrown his way proved invaluable.

“It can be annoying, you’ll go into a game thinking you’re going to play midfield and then there will be an injury in the first couple of minutes, so I might get swung to half-back or half-forward," Clark said.

“For my development though it’s definitely been good, I had hardly played forward before my first season. I spent a fair bit of time up there and I think I improved, so it’s definitely a positive thing.”

In his spurts across half-forward, Clark finished with three goals for the season, but it was in the midfield where he found his calling.

Four matches with over 20 disposals highlighted his prolific skills at such a young age, with his string of 11 consecutive games accelerating his pathway into becoming a future cornerstone of the Saints’ midfield.

181206-HunterClark.jpg

Hunter Clark trains at RSEA Park

In refining his skills and improving his game during the pre-season, Clark has looked up to fellow teammate Jack Steele, whom the aspiring youngster holds in high regard.

“You could go through every player and there’s bits and pieces of everyone you can take and learn off, but the way [Steele] plays, I really admire that,” Clark said.

“In training – and same with Seb Ross – a lot of the time if we’re on opposite teams I try to play against them just because of their hardness at the ball.

“They’re able to spread really well, they’re obviously really fit and they’ve got the inside and outside balance really good, so I’ve been trying to watch that and learn off them first-hand.”

For Clark, the goal next year is simple.

“For me personally, I want to play more games and play in the midfield more than I did last season,” Clark said.

“It’s a new year, so everyone’s got a new mindset. The standards are a lot higher and everybody’s driving that – it’s exciting.”

Go Saints

A good comment from Moorabbin Ghost in his recent excellent Pre-season post about Hunter.

‘A few boys were really lighting the track up pre Christmas, I’m particularly excited by the condition of Hunter Clark, he’s bigger and stronger and more confident, he just has star written all over him.’

I have been travelling the past few weeks but have kept up with the forum. The Pre Season thread has seen many posters speak of Hunter as a stand out in training. Nearly every training report mentions him positively. And I'm not sure he's missed a session.

His fitness and strength seem much improved, but his consistency and skills at training are the aspects that seem to impress most observers. He and Coffield seem to be travelling really well. Great picks we all hope.

Not many are putting Hunter in their best 22, but we don't have many with his type of skill set. Good in traffic, hits targets, tackles, dual sided. Can't see how he's left out.

Quote from Richo

THE KID Hunter Clark
“He has the potential to be a really special player. When will that be is the burning question. Hunter, pre-Christmas because of shoulder surgery, wasn’t able to do everything. He was able to do a bit more running. He came into my office and I asked him: ‘If you’re going to play midfield what do you need to do?’ We test 3km after their breaks and he said he had to get down to at least 10.30. I told him Matty Hornsby (fitness coach) told me it’s going to take you two years. Post-Christmas he runs 10.22. He’s a very, very driven person. I don’t want to put pressure on him, but he’s a chance to be a very special player. He’s tough and he plays the right way, but he has to keep working hard.”
a240c339d3cc0df6cb4b627482e23ec6
Saints fans can be excited about Hunter Clark. Picture: Michael Klein

From the Sandringham twitter feed after the practice game with Essendon. Hunter Clark featured quite strongly in poor conditions. As well as his 23 disposals he had 12 tackles. He is mounting a case for selection but with the senior side 2-0 it is hard to see him in unless there is an injury.

‘Tough day and tough conditions, but there was good pressure in the second half.

Good luck to St Kilda Football Club who play in just over an hour!

Disposal: Clark 23, Langlands 20, Austin 19.
Goals: Young 2, Tahana, Pierce and Long.’

Remove this Banner Ad

Back