PC2011/12RP Inside the Kennel - A Western Bulldogs story (GAME HAS CRASHED)

Remove this Banner Ad

TRIBUNAL RULINGS
ROUND 1

20px1xx.jpg

2r723qc.jpg

mwtxsm.jpg

SUMMARY
Collingwood may have the upper side of wins in recent history over the last 5 years, But it's the dogs who have won the last 2 encounters. Collingwood starting this season better will fancy themselves favourites along with punters. Their midfield is arguably better with a stronger Forward line and better ruck options. It's the defense of both sides that will come under scrutiny as they both rate reasonably close. It could well come down to who can hold up the best as to who wins this one. If the Bulldogs can score freely they could cause an early round upset.

IT'S A BIG WEEK FOR …
34qpeo6.jpg

Fletcher Roberts, The young defender will be taking on Powerhouse forward Travis Cloke in his first game of the season. with just 19 games under his belt, it will be a tough task for the 22-year-old, but a good result against Cloke may put the Dogs in a position to win the match.

PREDICTION: Collingwood +20

* Forgot to screen shot the team Sorry *

1416xhx.jpg

GAME DAY

As predicted this game started out with a battle of the defenses. Collingwood 's broke first as the Dogs kicked a major inside 7 minutes to get things going. Collingwood's midfielders were controlling the ball better through the middle and gave the Pies every opportunity to create scoring chances going inside 50, 23 times but could just muster 2 goals. The Dogs defense was playing together well, Easton Wood especially as the clean up man with 15 disposals by the end of the quarter. The Bulldogs, with limited chances. Made the most of them as they kicked a goal on the siren to go into the change with a slim 2 point lead.

The Dogs got away to another good start finding the goals first as Josh Dunkley kicked his second. The battle across the ground was entertaining despite the low scoring nature of the game. Collingwoods mids continued to win the ball but finding ways to score was proving increasingly difficult as the Dogs back 6 held their line and refused to give away easy goals. The Pies with another 19 inside 50's could only score 1.2 and the Dogs are winning the defensive game. At the other end the Dogs added 3.1 and increased the lead out to 13 at the main break.

The Dogs started the 3rd like every quarter so far. Ensuring they score first and make force Collingwood to work harder to get one back. It was another slow quarter of scoring with just 3 goals scored for the term. The Pies switched to a flooding style of play as they tried to hold in the ball in and around their forward half to pressure the Dogs defense. The Bulldogs responded by running the ball out and kicking it as far forward as they could, hoping the 1 one 1 contests could net them results. Tey outscored the Pies by kicking 2.1 and took the margin out to 19 with a quarter to go.

Collingwood upped the tempo as the final term started. For the first time they burst forward to find a target up forward and score the openner. The whole game openned up after that as if the Dogs were waiting for the Pies to throw the first punch. They countered by starting their own attack and in between Collingwoods 3 goals for the quarter, the Dogs added 6 of their own as they stunned Buckley's men by running out un expected winners by 36 at the close of play.

1zebedd.jpg

A Happy Giansaracusa fronting media post match
How did you see the Cloke\Roberts Battle?
"Roberts won quite easily in the end I felt. I thought he started slow as Cloke was a marking precense for the Pies early in the game but Fletch worked himself in and came away the victor. 27 disposals, 3 tackles, 8 contested possessions, 7 rebounds and he kept Cloke goalless.
Cloke finished with 14 disposals, 12 marks and 3 inside 50's."

Easton Wood 51 Disposals. He was outstanding in defense for you today. Was he the main reason you won?
"He was the main reason that Collingwood couldn't score. He set us up defensively and allowed us to get the opportunities up forward to win the game. He was big for us today. He won 4 Free's, 12 contested possessions and 18 rebound 50's to go along with the 51 disposals. Our entire back 6 worked really well today. I was impressed with their performances."

Another small forward lead the way for you in front of goals. Is this a trend we're going to see often?
"At the moment I guess it is. Our tall forwards aren't delivering at this stage so it's up to our smaller guys to get the job done. I'm glad we've been able to get a spread of goal kickers as well as having someone kicking a bag as Josh Dunkley did today with 6 goals. Multiple targets is given us options of spreading their defense and it worked well today."

Last edited:

1078021.jpg

SUMMARY
Beyond Last seasons 4 point Bulldog win, Sydney has had the upper hand in recent encounters winning the last 6 in a row. 2010 Semi Final was the last time the Dogs were able to beat the Swans and it was close then too as they won by just 5 points. With this match being played at the SCG it will be a tough task for the Dogs to travel and win up there.
The only barrier to a Sydney win is its defense, which isn't rated much better than the Dogs. With Easton Woods display over Collingwood last week, A replicable performance this round could give the Bulldogs another chance to secure an upset win.

IT'S A BIG WEEK FOR …
1zr1a2v.jpg

EASTON WOOD

There will be pressure and many eyes on Eaton Wood in this week's game. It's likely he will play a similar role and position as he did in the win against Collingwood. Giansiracusa will be hoping he can replicate the form he showed down back to allow the Bulldogs defenders the time and space to create scoring chances running from the defense as Sydney's forward line is shaped up as one of the best in the league.

PREDICTION: Sydney 36-48

2na1dt2.jpg

GAMEDAY

In what could only be described as unbelievable Sydney threw the Dogs onto the sword and buried them into the ground in an outstanding first quarter of football. Lance Franklin and Kurt Tippett were unstoppable up forward as they plucked 90% of the kicks made to them and Lance was popping in the goals from outside 50 with ease. 10 goals between them as the Swans kicked 11 in one of the greatest first quarters of play you'll ever see. The Bulldogs had no answer, Despite Giansiracusa sending a spare man back Sydney just switched their target as the Dogs looked on helplessly.
57 points is the Swans lead and from what we've seen it's likely to get much bigger.

The Bulldogs side had been switched around vastly from the one that started the game a quarter ago. For the opening stages of the term, it seemed as though the Dogs might have evened things up a bit as the play got congested and Sydney's dominance eased. The Bulldogs worked hard scoring 2 goals only to see Sydney get 2 of their own to maintain the gap in 24 minutes of play. Swans kick-started a ferocious last 5 minutes adding another 3 goals to extend the margin to 74 at half time.
Lance and Kurt were held goalless in the second. The only thing the dogs could take away from the match so far.

It was the Bulldogs who were to come out firing at the start of the third. The dogs with their best passage of play mounted a charge as they added 3 goals unanswered inside 6 minutes. Sydney continued to press forward but the Dogs were getting better at using this against them and running forward on the overlap. In a term, the Dogs dominated they wouldn't be pleased with their turnover as they kicked 4.7 to Sydney's 2.2 - What could have been less than a 40 point deficit, The dogs will have to settle for the first term margin of 57 as we enter the final quarter.

The final term was as even as the whole match had been. The Dogs kept hunting the Swans and never really let them relax as they tried hard to go forward and score at every opportunity. The Dogs had the margin to 42 in the late stages of the quarter before the hard running took its toll on the players and they ran out of legs. Sydney taking the chance to finish off, kicked the final 2 goals of the game and sealed the match-winning total of 52 points.

11156k9.jpg

Post game press questions
Big first quarter by the Swans. Were you complacent due to last weeks performance?

"I did overlook match ups. Probably thought our defense was better than it actually is after last weeks showing. We didn't make any changes there, but I'm not sure who we have on our list that could have performed better. Maybe playing slightly taller could have done something but that's speculating on something that's already done."

Your second half was much better. Winning the 3rd and 4th terms. Take away their first quarter and your winners. How does that sit?

"Well, you know, we could play the game of what ifs. but the reality is we lost. Sydney may have lifted off the gas in the third and we hit back harder than they thought, or we were good enough to win but had a terrible start. I don't know. I has happy with our third quarter. It's what we need to do week in week out but I don't think were there yet. We just have to compete at this stage. Our list isn't deep or strong enough across the ground to cover everyone. We need to find our advantages as quick as we can and take them with 2 hands. We'll get better from this."

Marcus Bontempelli with 3 goals in the third really started that scoring fightback. Is he a better forward option than Jake Stringer?

"I think he is, I'd like to keep him there, at or around CHF. But, we lose more than we gain by taking him away from the middle of the ground at the moment. Jake is going ok. Not playing to the standard I think he can or should be, but he could be worse. I had him ranked 10th best in round 1 - 4th best in round 2. He didn't put together a great game today but its early in the season and he's improving in areas. I'd love for a few other players to step up and take the midfield roles so we can utilise Bontempelli up forward. We're working on that but it might not happen this season."

Only round 3 and you've only got 5k members to sign up. Pretty sure you'd knock that off by the time round 10 rocks around

Think they jumped on after the Collingwood win. It might slow down after Sydney's big win.

21kare9.jpg

Brendon Goddard and Nic Newman both received lengthy suspensions after the undisciplined play during the week.
Goddard receiving 4 weeks for an eye gouge after being referred directly to the tribunal.

2iu6bg1.jpg

Brendon Goddard made his report less important after suffering an Achilles strain during training and will now be sidelined for 5 weeks.

Western Bulldogs defense will be tested with the Injury to Matt Suckling for the next 3 weeks. Reports are Jed Adcock has been elevated from the rookie list and may be considered as his replacement.

West Coast Eagles Midfielder Andrew Gaff will be sidelined for 13 weeks after doing a Knee in their match against port Adelaide.​

2ihuou1.jpg

SUMMARY
These two clubs have been even in the last 10 meetings with 5 wins each. You have to go back to 2010 to find a victory greater than 30 points as the Dogs won that round by 68.
They're evenly rated across all areas with the exception of the Ruck department in which Carlton has the legs with Kreuzer slightly ahead.
It's a game the dogs will fancy themselves winning and the punters are also backing the Dogs to get the job done. It could be a game of the midfielders and whoever is able to get the upper hand through the middle will give themselves the best chance to take this game.

IT'S A BIG WEEK FOR …
5an7tg.jpg

Tom Campbell

Tom will be up against Mathew Kreuzer and will have hands full trying to reduce his dominance. If Tom can get on top around the stoppages and give the Bulldogs midfielders first use of the ball, It will go a long way to helping the dogs take the victory.

PREDICTION: Western Bulldogs 12-24 points

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How long does it take you to do the updates roughly?

about an hour to do the match recap, round results and the ladder
The Tribunal report and injury list is around 30 minutes *I might drop this update if I feel I'm spending too much time making content than playing*
Around 15 minutes to knock up the match preview if I have everything ready. I have a lot of templates that help a fair bit.

Great read - read the Melbourne one as well. Could I just ask what the PR and AF mean in the stats, apologies if this is a stupid question

Not stupid at all.
Thanks for reading too. Appreciate it.

AF = AFL Fantasy points based on the current system
PR = AFL Player rating *differs from AFL calculation as you can't do it properly in the game.* I multiply the in-game rating performance with the AF points and then half it to get a rough overall rating of how good they were in their position

hope that helps

Last edited:
148otwk.jpg

GAME DAY

From the first bounce, it was the Dogs who accelerated forward and with the ball in hand Stringer fired off a snap from 35 but missed.
The way the ball moved inside 50 so fast most people thought the Dogs were going to come out charging.
However, it stalled for them from that moment as the Bulldogs found themselves off the pace and chasing navy blue all quarter.
Andrejs Everitt starting out with 2 quick goals as Morris found it hard to contain him.
Daisy Thomas kicked 2 very good run with goals and Matty Kreuzer popped up to score the 5th unanswered goal of the term.
A very good quarter for the Blues as they jump out to a 30 point lead.

It took 8 minutes for the Bulldogs to kick their first goal, Johannisen out of position behind the play lucky to get it as the spoil went behind the pack.
Josh Dunkley followed up within 2 minutes with the Dogs second and they started to show something out there.
Carlton still dominated through the middle and created plenty of inside 50 chances as they added another 2 goals nullifying the Dogs early quarter goals.
Marcus Bontempelli was thrown forward in an attempt to create a forward spark and he delivered picking up 1 goal near the end of the term.
The Bulldogs missed a couple of late chances with 2 more behinds. In a better contested quarter, the Dogs still trail by 24.

The Dogs got off to another fast start with Tory Dickson scoring a major inside the opening 2 minutes.
Like in the first term, The Bulldogs seemed to shut down once again after the quick flurry as the Blues quickly retook the ascendency .
Everitt taking 2 very strong marks and kicking truly from the arc was causing the Dogs defense some trouble as his third opponent fails to stop him.
Daniel Gorringe kicked his first from the pocket to give the Blues 3 unanswered goals as the margin grew to 37 with less than half a quarter to play.
Bontempelli and Easton Wood moved back into the middle and created an instant spark as Dickson again found himself with the pill to kick his second.
Dale Morris, Tom Campbell and Tory Dickson would then all find themselves kicking majors in quick concession.
The Dogs put up a run of 4 unanswered goals before the siren and reduced the margin to just 9 with a quarter to go.

Within the first 6 minutes, the Bulldogs found themselves with the lead as Murphy and Dickson both combined for majors in a perfect start to the quarter. Dickson scored another taking his tally to 5, followed by Stringer and Dunkley and the Dogs were finally dominating for more than a few minutes.
Dale Thomas scored for Carlton 21 minutes into the quarter but that still left the Blues 16 points behind.
Robert Murphy tried to seal the deal for the Dogs single handily as he kicked 3 goals in a row.
Tory Dickson scored his 6th as we entered stoppage time giving the Dogs a 41 point lead with moments left to play.
Daniel Gorringe had an attempt at goal but missed and hurt himself in the process as the siren sounded soon after with the Dogs running out 40 point winners.

qq98h2.jpg

POST MATCH PRESS CONFERENCE

Another slow start for you again this week. any idea on why this is a reoccurring trend?

"I'm not sure at this stage. Maybe it's the starting message or I'm fielding the wrong group or maybe our starting strategy doesn't work. It's all things we, as a coaching group, are looking into. It's definitely something we want to stop and turn around in our favour. I'm finding I have to make a lot of adjustments during early play, So I'm either getting it wrong somewhere or It's just a result of how difficult the competition is."

70 point turnaround from the first quarter deficit to your winning margin. That must be pleasing?

"I wasn't happy with 3 quarters of that game. The final term was really good and so far we keep having 1 standout quarter and 3 average ones. I'm glad our defense got better, The mids started to work and we finally got a forward rhythm up. 9 goals in a term was good to watch and shows what we are capable of. I just want to see it more during a game."

You went with a different forward structure than recent weeks how did it work today?

"It didn't work too well at all. I gave a few players (who haven't stood up yet) an opportunity to do something or at least show they belong in the 22 and the didn't deliver. Fletcher Roberts isn't a forward and we tried him there to see if his contested marking skill could be useful but it didn't work out. He's one that will be excluded from that evaluation. Jason Johannisen and Ling Jong are playing well below the standard we expect from them. They're looking at long stints in the VFL if they don't improve quickly. We need forward options and impact players and these 2 especially have been passengers.
Johannisen is playing for his future. With no contract next year, we might be looking at his trade value over his playing value pretty soon if things don't change.

Tom Campbell on Mathew Kreuzer how was his game?

I think Tom handled Kreuzer quite well. Mathew has been playing very good across the ground and Tom really stopped him from being a dominant factor out there. he kept him to just 7 disposals were he's been averaging 20, Halved his hit out stats and his marking power. He did a really good job in the end. Tom won the hit out count and kept Kreuzer quiet. That's exactly what we asked him to do and he delivered.​

I'd love to see Stringer on the ball to see how he'll go. Seems to be struggling with the forwards role apart from his haul of 3 last weekend

Yeah, he's not going to good at all. He plays well from the Forward flank and will take the ball inside 50 but he won't take any shots from that position unless he runs right into goal.
Bontempelli plays that spot pretty well,just as he does at High CHF and I think I'll swap their roles around for a few games and see if Stringer goes better in the midfield.
Bonts scores really well I just haven't been able to take him out of the midfield for very long as no one else seems to step up.

TRINBUNAL REPORT ROUND 4
2e5l4iq.jpg

INJURY REPORT
fayo1z.jpg

ibxmag.jpg
D.Zaharakis -
will miss the remainder of the 2016 season requiring a knee reconstruction after injuring it during the match against St. Kilda. David was off to a good start in 2016 avg 22 disposals and 5 clearances.​

xgktxx.jpg

SUMMARY
Since 1980 it's been a very even spread against these 2 sides as they've won 29(WBD) to 31(STK) in their 60 appearances together.
In the past 5 the Dogs hold a 1 match advantage winning 3/5. These matches have been pretty close in terms of score and winning margin. 2012 was the last time a big margin scored the points as the Saints did it twice that year winning R3 by 63 and R18 by 76.
If the Dogs midfield can find form this week it will put them in a good position to control play and hunt for the win. The Saints are slightly better in all other areas of the ground, so They go in favourites but punters are expecting a close game that could go either way.​

IT'S A BIG WEEK FOR …

mvkuvl.jpg

Tom Liberatore​
- Libba has been down on form for the start of the 2016 season. Rated as the best Outside Midfielder in the side, He has been well held by his opponents and hasn't looked to dominate any passages of play. His player rating is only 165, 4 games into the season and if it wasn't for a better than average showing in round 1 where he scored 236 points he'd much lower. His average puts him in the 400's of top player which is not where he'd like to be or Giansiracusa would like either. It's a good chance for him this week to step up as the Dogs midfield should be better and that could allow Libba to get amongst the ball and build his confidence.

PREDICTION: St Kilda 10 points​

Remove this Banner Ad

Back