Is 9 teams too many?

Remove this Banner Ad

A second tier comp is an interesting idea...but I don't see it being viable having teams from the WAFL in it....having teams travel from and to WA would send teams broke, it is just too far....the air costs would be too high.

Rather, I see something like a South Eastern league (ie SEAFL), consisting of 14/16 teams from the SANFL, standalone VFL teams and maybe 2 teams from Tas (Hobart and Launceston). Perhaps other towns like Mt Gambier, Wodonga and Mildura etc could join down the track, depending on how successful it is. With this idea, I see most resistance coming from the SANFL...I don't see them going for it, as they have way too much to lose.

If it was the SEAFL as you suggest the clubs still have to fly between Melbourne and Adelaide which wouldn't be that much less expensive than Perth, especially with an airline sponsor/arrangement. My original idea was the 8 WA sides + 8/9 SA sides + say 3 Vic sides + Tas possibly (since they won't get an AFL licence for many years to come I think under the current expansion talk coming from Demetriou). So with 20 sides, 19 rounds playing each other once, the WA and SA sides only play about 4/5 interstate games. Of course this would be closer to 8/9 for Vic clubs and 9/10 for Tassie which is a disadvantage. If successful I think the travel expenses could be born by the competition management out of sponsorship/media rights - assuming the competition is viable enough to attract media interest.

Maybe I need to do some reading up on the VFL/VFA as I really don't know the first thing about this comp to offer input. If you were to identify VFL/VFA clubs that would be interested who would they be and what is the size of their supporter base? Remember all interstate games will only have attendance by the local crowd so that would in general terms halve the attendance and therefore gate revenue. Also what is the current size of their club budgets?

On the issue of the SANFL resistance. The thought popped into my head today that maybe the SANFL dispensing with the Crows and Port licences will be a good move. Why? Because they will be able to make future decisions being fully independent of AFL ties and will have to stand on their own two feet. So they might be more open to proposals in the future.

Maybe I need to do some reading up on the VFL/VFA as I really don't know the first thing about this comp to offer input. If you were to identify VFL/VFA clubs that would be interested who would they be and what is the size of their supporter base?

The best way to some up the VFA/VFL is to look at the teams that will be competing in 2014 (not next year, as two alignments will be in their last year).

AFL standalones (2014)

Geelong *Good crowds during finals. Premiers in 2012
Collingwood *Treat comp as development only, never threaten for the flag, supporters don't travel.
Essendon *Going alone again in 2013. Like the Pies, development only, supporters don't travel.
Richmond *With Coburg until end of 2013, Richmond listed players been poor the last 5 years.
Footscray Bulldogs *Had been a success on the field with Williamstown, but going alone in 2014.

VFL/AFL Full Alignments (2014)

Northern Blues (Carlton) *Formerly Preston Bullants. Controlled by Carlton. No Preston fans left.
Box Hill Hawks (Hawthorn) *Formerly the Mustangs. Controlled by Hawthorn. Supporters DO Travel!
Sandringham (St Kilda) *Wants to be standalone, but doesn't have the $$$. St Kilda funds coaching staff.
Casey Scorpions (Melbourne) *Strong side the last few years, but Melbourne pulls out players during finals!

VFL/AFL Part Alignments (2014)

North Ballarat (North Melbourne) *Won 3 flags in a row 08-09-10. Solid social facilities and income.
Werribee (North Melbourne) *Well administered club. Fastest growing region. Top 4 last two years.

VFL standalones (2014)

Port Melbourne *Undefeated Premiers 2011, Runners up 2012. Solid supporter base & new facilities in 2013.
Frankston *Wooden Spooners the last few years, but have a strong supporter base.
Bendigo Gold *Split from Essendon at the end of 2012. No supporters or social rooms, will struggle.
Williamstown *Split from the Bulldogs after 2013. Lost fans during alignment years, but are cashed up.
Coburg *Split from Richmond after 2013. Small supporter base, home venue needs major upgrade.

Howzat?

I would say merge sa & sturt as a observer. Both clubs never seem to draw crowds & have been
Pretty poor on the field.

This cross comp thing will never happen as much as it would be cool.
The foxtell cup hardly pulled any crowds at all.

There was talks of port
Melbourne entering the sanfl in the past & also tassie. Never going to
Happen.to fly 35-40 odd people every 2nd week from melb or tas would have kiled the $$ very quickly.

With a 2nd tier competition - could they play (some) games on weekdays ?

I mean there are these suburban grounds dotted around Adelaide, so I imagine whoever has the home game it isn't too much of a hassle for their supporters to get to a ground for say a 5-30pm start. If you're playing interstate teams, no fans are really going to travel even if its on a weekend so no crowd loss there. All this and you have a completely unique time-slot for football which I imagine would attract more broadcasting $$$.

After CrowdedHouse's post I've concluded a SANFL/VFA(VFL) is unworkable financially. Not that I was promoting that - I was working on a WAFL/SANFL merger. I think all these comps need to get their houses in order first before looking at anything beyond.

Looks like the VFL comp has been completely compromised by AFL affiliations.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back