Is Adelaide Oval too small?

Is Adelaide Oval too small?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Will they get rid of those stupid dancers for the BBL finals? That will free up some more seats.
Probably, it depends what CA wants, as it's not a "home game" as such. Like AFL finals.
I reckon the dancers may stay, but there'll be some new stuff and not all of the Strikers stuff that we've been seeing.

Probably, it depends what CA wants, as it's not a "home game" as such. Like AFL finals.
I reckon the dancers may stay, but there'll be some new stuff and not all of the Strikers stuff that we've been seeing.

It'll be a sell out, so they'd be smart to get the extra cash by selling those seats. I doubt people are going to come away from the final and say "you know what would have made it even better, if they had some dancers at the game".

It'll be a sell out, so they'd be smart to get the extra cash by selling those seats. I doubt people are going to come away from the final and say "you know what would have made it even better, if they had some dancers at the game".
Agreed, Strikers need to look at ways to include things like the dancers without blocking off seats. Perhaps a stage on top of the players tunnel in the SE pocket like has been used at the MCG before. Could be mirrored in the NW corner in the "alleyway" between the hill and western stand where the pitches come in an out. They already moved from one central stage last summer coz they put it on top of premium seats square of the wicket (silly idea) but if we continually average such high crowds they'll need to look at this more. The dancers are part of their marketing, for good or bad, but gotta free up as many seats as possible :)

The dancers are a minor problem compared to the ridiculous amount of wasted seats from the outlandishly large blacked out areas at either end. Remember a time for when just the sight screens were sufficient?
Have you noticed though that we never have issues with the sight-screen not moving at the right time or to the right place (think WACA Test 15/16).
Also minimal/no issues with people sitting too close. It means the places where people CAN sit are places that won't impact on the play.

Who is the game for? The players, who want to get on with playing under the most professional conditions, and the spectators, who don't want play held up for stupid bullshit like some loser moving in the seat next to the tiny board 80m away that's meant to make it EASIER to see the ball.

Having a tiny sight-screen means slower games coz it's gotta move (especially if a spinner is alternating over/round for different batsmen), means people on the hill or in the stand gotta move, sometimes every bloody ball, and means it's gotta be in *just* the right spot coz it's not big enough.

Do we want a fully professional product or some crappy park game where Long-On and Long-Off gotta go move the sight-screen?

I think its over kill and a huge amount of prime seats behind the bowlers arm have, in my opinion been wasted.

The game is actually for the spectators.
And like I said, the spectators don't want their game interrupted by issues with the sight-screen.
The players, who are putting on the game FOR the spectators, want to give the best they can, and that happens when the game happens without interruptions.

Sight-screen area is only as wide as it was when they moved the sight-screen, to allow wide around-the-wicket bowling. It's just all covered up instead of cramming people in and them having to up camp every ball or two. Sit too close behind the sight-screen and you can't see half the field anyway. What good is that for spectators? If the game is FOR the spectators (which I agree, it is), why would you let people sit somewhere that (A) they have to move all the bloody time and (B) there's a giant great big advertising screen blocking half of the playing field? That's just dumb.

'fan engagement'...
do they have people running around with flags at start of the match?

Wait until Port and/or Adelaide turn to crap and we'll see the stadium as empty as football park mostly was.

Yeah, you tell it

Collingwood pulls 50k+ to every home game it plays

Adelaide and Port could only dream to match your numbers...

Of course it's too small but talking to anyone in adelaide about something that involves change is on par with talking to yanks about guns.

I mean it was a s**t fight to get Adelaide people to finally get footy to the city.

So let's get this straight..they finally get something right (albeit 20 years too late) and have footy in the city but they make the capacity the same as the other stadium out in the middle of nowhere where no one wanted to go... wouldn't u evolve and think finally people want to go and make it bigger???

People in Adelaide get right behind the big bash and football etc because there is very little else to do there.

No problems selling out finals, strikers, showdowns, crows blockbusters even Port blockbusters if the average Joe has the opportunity to buy a ticket.

60,000 capacity would of been perfect.

Of course it's too small but talking to anyone in adelaide about something that involves change is on par with talking to yanks about guns.

I mean it was a s**t fight to get Adelaide people to finally get footy to the city.

So let's get this straight..they finally get something right (albeit 20 years too late) and have footy in the city but they make the capacity the same as the other stadium out in the middle of nowhere where no one wanted to go... wouldn't u evolve and think finally people want to go and make it bigger???

People in Adelaide get right behind the big bash and football etc because there is very little else to do there.

No problems selling out finals, strikers, showdowns, crows blockbusters even Port blockbusters if the average Joe has the opportunity to buy a ticket.

Yeah that extra 6500 would have made all the difference. Adelaide Oval rocks. It's the right size in the right place. Calm your farm hater. AO is killing it whilst you sit home tugging yourself.

You sure 60k would be perfect OR would you still want more ....

Yeah that extra 6500 would have made all the difference. Adelaide Oval rocks. It's the right size in the right place. AO is killing it whilst you sit home tugging yourself.

not sure I follow, I'm saying it's killing it and in my opinion it needs extra capacity because of the added interest. Isn't what this discussion is about?

sorry next time I'll just agree with everything you say, so I don't get insulted by the portweareshitlaide supporter.

You're so right Adelaide Oval is the best, it's perfect. In fact I think it's that good I'll stay in again tonight and dedicate tonight's tug to the oval.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You sure 60k would be perfect OR would you still want more ....

nah not really I just think round 60k would of been good. The level of interest since the move has been astonishing. Even people who never went to the footy before are seemingly more interested. With a capacity of around 60k just gives more people an opportunity to attend the big games as well which they otherwise couldn't. My whole premise is why make it the same capacity as the stadium where no one wanted to go.

nah not really I just think round 60k would of been good. The level of interest since the move has been astonishing. Even people who never went to the footy before are seemingly more interested. With a capacity of around 60k just gives more people an opportunity to attend the big games as well which they otherwise couldn't. My whole premise is why make it the same capacity as the stadium where no one wanted to go.

better to sell out most of the time like Adelaide Oval, than have the capacity but rarely sell out like the MCG.

I still think a capacity of 60,000 would have been ideal. No one could have could have predicted how popular the Oval would become. But 60K would have allowed for the clubs to grow their ticketed memberships. Whereas now both clubs are at capacity, & surely even GA Standing tickets must be near capacity for both AFL Clubs.

The Cricket crowds have been astonishing. The D/N Test crowds were amazing, D1 47K D2 44K D3 35K.

The Big Bash crowds have been massive around the country but at Adelaide Oval they have been huge and consistent. In very Hot weather for 4 out 5 games it has been over 35 degrees here in Adelaide and the crowds still turned up.
Game 1 - 18/12 27,765 (42C day and Day 4 over 40 in Adelaide + Xmas)

Game 2 31/12 46,389 (39C day & NYE)
Game 3 5/1 46,689 (Cool day 30C at game time)
Game 4 13/1 49,115 (25C at game time, was 35C all day)
Semi Final 21/1 48,699 (35C 75% Humidity)

We have averaged 47,000 per game if you take out the 1st game. For each of these games the publuc areas have been sold out. The Semi Final was sold out in 4 hours!

I know this won't happen but a solution would be to extend the Eastern stand right up to the start of the historic scoreboard, this would increase capacity by about 6,000 & take it to 59,500.

You would still keep the scoreboard and the hill and everyone would be happy.

Adelaide Oval is know world wide as a iconic cricketing venue. The recent changes has already diminished partially what made it iconic. Long term AFL games will not get more then 2 or 3 (non finals) sell outs per year. You would never make your money back and you would destroy for good what makes is a unique cricketing ground.

Some people - usually South Australians - really seem to overestimate how "world famous" Adelaide Oval was.

Before the redevelopment and AFL move I don't think I'd ever met a single person who'd gone there. It wasn't some kind of Australian Lord's.

Last edited:
Some people - usually South Australians - really seem to overestimate how "world famous" Adelaide Oval was.

Before the redevelopment and AFL move I don't I'd ever met a single person who'd gone there. It wasn't some kind of Australian Lord's.

Did you speak to Indian cricket fans? Or English? They may never have been here but in the cricket world it is an iconic venue.
Non-cricket fan Australians probably wouldn't have been or known much about it.

Before the redevelopment and AFL move I don't I'd ever met a single person who'd gone there. It wasn't some kind of Australian Lord's.

In cricket terms well known, home of Sir Donald - you need to get out a little BOMbonboy !!

He was a star well before he played for South Australia.
Your point? He then played for 14-odd years for SA. Adelaide Oval is as much regarded as his home ground as the SCG.

Every Indian guy my uncle met in India: "I'm from Adelaide" "OHHH! Don Bradman, Don Bradman, Adelaide Oval"

Before the redevelopment and AFL move I don't think I'd ever met a single person who'd gone there. It wasn't some kind of Australian Lord's.
The Adelaide over (was... past tense here) known around the world as a very picturesque oval has nothing to do with the Don. It was IMO only second to Newlands (now that place is magical) in this sense.

Although thank you AFL for now making the Adelaide oval another run of the mill sports ground.

hows the irony in a Victorian saying that we overestimate things in our city.

Melbourne is without doubt the most overated city on this planet

The Adelaide over (was... past tense here) known around the world as a very picturesque oval has nothing to do with the Don. It was IMO only second to Newlands (now that place is magical) in this sense.

Although thank you AFL for now making the Adelaide oval another run of the mill sports ground.

Ill take practical over magical any day of the week.

Back