It's not about terrorism. It's about oil and the currency of oil trade.

Remove this Banner Ad

Former

Norm Smith Medallist
May 16, 2001
Brisbane
While the US dollar is the currency of oil trade around the world, the US government can rack up huge debts with other countries, as those countries need US dollars in their reserves to trade.

The demand for the dollar thus keeps it over-valued when compared to the state of the US economy. They can muck everything up, but as long as they can get cheap imports the voters will be happy.

So what if the Euro became the new currency of oil trade?

The US ecomnomy would no doubt go into free fall.

So what would the US do about countries that switched to the Euro for oil trade?

If they are vulnerable, a hostile takeover is an excellent way to put them back on the path of currency righteousness.

So who's been switching to the Euro lately?

Iraq. Iran. North Korea.

Saudi Arabia has also made noises about switching.

What if you can't take them over?

Take over the one with a lot of oil. Use that oil to flood the markets with cheaper oil until they repent their wicked Euro-fondling ways.

But they are going to rebuild Iraq, right? The people will benefit.

Yes. But guess who's lining up for the rebuilding contracts?

Last week, the U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID) asked Bechtel Group Inc., Fluor Corp., Halliburton Co. subsidiary Kellogg, Brown & Root, Louis Berger Group Inc., and Parsons Corp. to submit bids last week for a $900-million contract to repair and build water systems, roads, bridges, schools and hospitals. The firms that land the contract are also likely to make the short list for future projects in Iraq, which include plans to develop the country's oil industry.
http://www.capitaleye.org/inside.asp?ID=69

But listen to your elected leaders and forget all that! It's about terrorism.

Factor this in too. The US economy has been virtually stagnant since Septmeber 11, 2001. Consumer confidence is extremely low and the economy is on the verge of recession. What happens to the worlds largest consumer of oil if the oil price continues to rise? What happens if they secure a lower oil price via a country such as, oooh I don't know, Iraq?

Nope, oil can't be the issue, its too simple.

We're only there for a Free Trade Agreement.

So you are saying that the $US dollar doesn't benefit from being the currency of trade?

That the need for non-US countries to hold large reserves of $US to trade with other non-US countries doesn't keep demand for the $US higher than it otherwise would be?

That the switch to the Euro wouldn't be disastrous for the $US?

Please enlighten us as to why any of these might be incorrect.

Originally posted by Appleyard
While the US dollar is the currency of oil trade around the world, the US government can rack up huge debts with other countries, as those countries need US dollars in their reserves to trade.

The demand for the dollar thus keeps it over-valued when compared to the state of the US economy. They can muck everything up, but as long as they can get cheap imports the voters will be happy.

So what if the Euro became the new currency of oil trade?

The US ecomnomy would no doubt go into free fall.

So what would the US do about countries that switched to the Euro for oil trade?

If they are vulnerable, a hostile takeover is an excellent way to put them back on the path of currency righteousness.

So who's been switching to the Euro lately?

Iraq. Iran. North Korea.

Saudi Arabia has also made noises about switching.

What if you can't take them over?

Take over the one with a lot of oil. Use that oil to flood the markets with cheaper oil until they repent their wicked Euro-fondling ways.

But they are going to rebuild Iraq, right? The people will benefit.

Yes. But guess who's lining up for the rebuilding contracts?

Last week, the U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID) asked Bechtel Group Inc., Fluor Corp., Halliburton Co. subsidiary Kellogg, Brown & Root, Louis Berger Group Inc., and Parsons Corp. to submit bids last week for a $900-million contract to repair and build water systems, roads, bridges, schools and hospitals. The firms that land the contract are also likely to make the short list for future projects in Iraq, which include plans to develop the country's oil industry.
http://www.capitaleye.org/inside.asp?ID=69

But listen to your elected leaders and forget all that! It's about terrorism.

It is about terrorism but rebuilding is important. Who do you think they should have gone out to being as no-one else wants to donate any rebuilding funds?

I don't see any of these companies donating rebuilding funds. I see them getting rebuilding contracts due to their connections. Why not an open tender process?

If they can do the job for the best price, why not? It's about freeing the people of Iraq from a dictator and putting a stop to terrorism, isn't it? Do you think the war is just about money and power?

If they can do the job for the best price, why not? It's about freeing the people of Iraq from a dictator and putting a stop to terrorism, isn't it? Do you think the war is just about money and power?

Putting French and Russians in jobs is hardly to be a USA priority.

Anyhow, the standards of Engineering of France and Russia are appalling. How many do you know that are here in Australia? Would you like another Chernobyl...but this time in Iraq.

If we have learnt anything from last night it is that USA technology is miles ahead of any other. Awesome.

Work out where the rebuilding money comes from, countries not companies.

By then, the Iraqis will be free. Who rebuilds the country doesn't matter too much to them, as long as they employ Iraqis.

Tell me, why exactly should France and Germany be eligible to even trade with the US, let alone bid on government contracts?? Morally correct war or not, they have well and truly shown the true nature of European "friendship".

So German engineering is not up to scratch? Scottish?

My argument is that this war is being fought for one reason, while too many people are being hoodwinked into thinking it is about weapons and terrorism.

The granting of contracts to friends of Bush is not some innocent byproduct of a need to free Iraq (somethign that needs to be done).

The message is:
"This war has to be fought to stop terrorism and rid the world of devastating weapons. But what to do with the spoils? Seeing as we were the only people to fight the good fight, we'll use it for our own ends. We're going to pay for it, so we should decide who gets the money."

And the mob nods "Yes, that's fair."

The reality is:
"We're scared as hell that market forces will make our way of life obsolete! Kill someone! Take their oil! The rest of the world can pay for it because they need our currency no matter how much it stinks!"

Look, the $US is over valued. We get given TOO FEW $US for whatever we sell them. We give them TOO MUCH for what they sell us. Don't you feel ripped off? Why should they get away with it? When there is an opportunity for some more competition in the trade currency arena, the US is attempting to squash it with incredible, violent force.

This is a joke. Howard and Blair and the Saudis are playing into US hands. At its simplest it is a takeover of a small, vulnerable firm with huge assets by a monopoly or oligarchy. Humanitarian aspects are a side effect.

So German engineering is not up to scratch? Scottish?

I can't find anyone saying that. French, Russian yes.

Propaganda Appleyard?

German Engineering is, of course good albeit expensive.

And how comes your post says 'last edited by Bluey'?
Who is posting here?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maybe George junior just wants to finish something that George senior started 12 years ago.
He has got real balls and from all accounts so far is doing his best to make sure that civillian casualties are kept to an absolute mimimum.
Saddam will kill more Iraqi's then what Bush will.

Originally posted by Frodo
And how comes your post says 'last edited by Bluey'?
Who is posting here?
I logged in to the Admin section on Adrian's machine, then Adrian changed something a few minutes later without logging me out.

Originally posted by knuckles
People who don't understand FOREX and OIL markets now equals 2.
Next.

And you are an expert in Forex and Oil markets are you Knuckles? To claim that I don't understand them is quite inaccurate, I have two degrees that say otherwise.

Originally posted by bugman5
Factor this in too. The US economy has been virtually stagnant since Septmeber 11, 2001. Consumer confidence is extremely low and the economy is on the verge of recession. What happens to the worlds largest consumer of oil if the oil price continues to rise? What happens if they secure a lower oil price via a country such as, oooh I don't know, Iraq?

Nope, oil can't be the issue, its too simple.

We're only there for a Free Trade Agreement.
The Japanese economy is huge and very resilient, but very sensitive to oil prices. If they rise too much (haven't checked the current price) then Japan will go into a nosedive, taking its biggest trading partners, including the US, with it.

You have to laugh, but the war could end up finishing off the American economy if it causes oil prices to rise and stay high for too long. However seeing as it is such a one-sided affair it may be over before too much damage is done. No doubt that is what Bush & Co are betting on.

I think George Bush snr's administration hoped the gulf war in 1991 would help lift out of the recession - It didn't and it was the economy, stupid.

I think you may find that the effect of the oil trade on the US currency is negligible.

If for example all of the world's Oil sat in the US and they were a major exprter then I might agree....but it doesn't and they are a major importer.

So the Indian's have some $US's and import some oil, they buy it from the Malaysian's and pay them in $US. The total supply and demand equation for $US has not changed due to the oil tranasaction, and therefore the impact on the price (of $US) is non-existant.

In any event, even if the price was impacted by the currency of the transaction then the total volume of transactions in $US (outside the US) attributable to Oil would be minute compared to the total volume of $US transactions.

Is the US dollar over-valued ????....it is valued at what it is valued.....it is by definition nither high nor low it is what it is.

The US is invading Iraq because:

a) they can
b) finishing Daddy's work
c) they know no other way
d) they want an Iraq who "plays fair" in the Oil trade and they are giving a message to the Saudi's to play by their rules or look out.

take your pick

VM

Remove this Banner Ad

Back