Traded Jack Billings

Remove this Banner Ad

Similar game to last week for JB but from less time on the ground but a much improved DE%.
7 Kicks, 12 Handballs, 3 Tackles, 1 1%er, 0 Clearances, 0 Clangers, 0 Goals, 1 Behind, 84.2% DE from 74% Time on Ground.

We all saw what he's capable of with the long, low kick down the line which set up a goal but he does need to get the ball more. Over 80% DE is fantastic. He knows how to use the ball and will get better and in turn we will be a better team.

I see him as a bit like Bryce Gibbs. Was never going to start playing AFL and become an animal. But as these guys keep playing and working out , none of them are underdeveloped by the time they are 27.

You remind me that he has only had one uninterrupted pre-season. He is still young. He has the skills and seems to have developed a reasonable tank. The AFL body will come and he will be an awesome player.

Where do you think his best position is ? Wing, forward , defence , on the ball ?

Sent via HAL

Outside mid whatever that means in the modern game. He is a great link player in my opinion. In space he can hit a forward with a low kick, in traffic he can accept a pass and get it to someone running past with a quick handball. He won't go on a run to break a line he's not that type of player but hopefully he can become the sort of distributor Sam Mitchell is and Diesel Williams was.

As I said in the Brisbane post-game thread, Jack was good in the first two rounds but was below par yesterday.

5 Kicks, 9 Handballs, 2 Tackles, 1 1%er, 2 Clearances, 2 Clangers, 4 I50, 0 Goals, 0 Behind, 57.1% DE from 65% Time on Ground.

He was basically two-thirds off his top stats of the first two rounds but he did have 4 I50s which was his best for the year.

Disposals 20 (R1) vs 14 (R3) although 7 were contested which is up there with the first two rounds or 9 and 7.
Tackles 3 (R1 & R2) vs 2 (R3)
DE 84.2% (R2) vs 57.1% (R3) - only 60% DE in R1
TOG% 89% (R1) vs 65% (R3)

Brisbane would have put more time into him with Stuv & Armo not playing so hopefully he will learn from that extra attention.

Great to see Jack bounce back from his ordinary game last week with his best game of the season by a long way but he still has plenty of room for improvement.

His second half when the game needed to be won was enormous but his DE% (57.1%) was equal worst for the season and he managed 1.4 shooting for goal. The highlights of his game were 28 possessions including 11 contested. 10 marks with 4 inside 50 and 6 inside 50s plus a much improved TOG 83% up from 65% last week. And it was noticeable that he worked hard to get into the game and I remember a couple of times in the last quarter he was the loose player in the backline who marked the kickout after Collingwood points. In general the raw stats make nice reading.

19 Kicks, 9 Handballs, 1 Tackle, 1 1%er, 1 Clearance, 3 Clangers, 6 I50s, 1 Goal, 4 Behinds, 57.1% DE from 83% Time on Ground.

Let's hope he can back it up next week and get even better.

Great to see Jack bounce back from his ordinary game last week with his best game of the season by a long way but he still has plenty of room for improvement.

His second half when the game needed to be won was enormous but his DE% (57.1%) was equal worst for the season and he managed 1.4 shooting for goal. The highlights of his game were 28 possessions including 11 contested. 10 marks with 4 inside 50 and 6 inside 50s plus a much improved TOG 83% up from 65% last week. And it was noticeable that he worked hard to get into the game and I remember a couple of times in the last quarter he was the loose player in the backline who marked the kickout after Collingwood points. In general the raw stats make nice reading.

19 Kicks, 9 Handballs, 1 Tackle, 1 1%er, 1 Clearance, 3 Clangers, 6 I50s, 1 Goal, 4 Behinds, 57.1% DE from 83% Time on Ground.

Let's hope he can back it up next week and get even better.

I'm surprised he was only listed as having only one tackle , I'm sure he had more . Although these days I'm not sure what registers as a tackle as there a lot of attempted ones or tackled at the same time as someone else. If you tackle someone and the umpire balls it up is that counted because just about every ball up is from a tackle where the guy has no chance of getting rid of the ball. And then there are a lot of tackles that go unrewarded so I don't know what they class as a tackle anymore.

Sent via HAL

Jack was far from our worst this week. Two very obvious terrible kicks around the corner that when straight to Geelong players. Might even have been back to back which overshadowed what was a reasonably good game. So this season I'm marking jack as good, good, ordinary, very good, good.

9 Kicks, 11 Handballs, 2 Tackles, 0 1%ers, 1 Clearance, 4 Clangers, 3 I50s, 0 Goals, 0 Behinds, 65% DE from 73% Time on Ground.

Jack was far from our worst this week. Two very obvious terrible kicks around the corner that when straight to Geelong players. Might even have been back to back which overshadowed what was a reasonably good game. So this season I'm marking jack as good, good, ordinary, very good, good.

9 Kicks, 11 Handballs, 2 Tackles, 0 1%ers, 1 Clearance, 4 Clangers, 3 I50s, 0 Goals, 0 Behinds, 65% DE from 73% Time on Ground.

Couple of goal assists i think.

He and Acres appear to be late developers, ie. Hodge and Judd by comparison were men at 18/19, these lads are still boys at 21

I wish he would kick more than handball though but I guess I don't know what the circumstances were for each handball , might have been a link in a chain a few times or something . It's just that he can be very damaging when he kicks apart from those two clanger you mentioned.

Sent via HAL

Jack had another good game yesterday in our fantastic win over the Hawks but lets talk about the elephant in the room first, his kicking for goal.

This year he has kicked 2.9 which is not good enough but I don't think his three misses yesterday were as bad as they look on paper. I haven't seen any on replay so happy to be corrected.

One was a 50-50 snap
One was 40-45m out 5m in from the boundary on the wrong side for a left-footer
One was similar distance out but on a better angle and on the correct side for a left-footer

He should have got that last one the other two would have been a bonus IMO. I know, he didn't get any of them. Hopefully one day soon he will get all three.

Looking at the highlights Jack was directly involved in four great pieces of play.

Q1 11.00 to go: Bounce on the wing (miscalled as Sinclair in the commentary) then a long left bullet to Roo. Roo dropped the mark ! but recovered the ball and kicked the goal

Q1 3.56 to go: Ran 10-15m to get to Frawley, stuck a great tackle and won a HTB free

Q2 17.03 to go: Ran onto a handball out in front of him from Joey and rode the bump from Gibson to then deliver to Roo who then kicked his 700th goal.

Q4 8.50 to go: Handballed over the top to Josh Bruce who ran into the square for a certain goal*

Raw stats: 11 Kicks, 9 Handballs, 4 Tackles, 1 1%er, 2 Clearances, 0 Clangers, 6 I50s, 0 Goals, 3 Behinds, 75% DE from 84% Time on Ground

* Josh may have hit the post trying to roost a big torp all the way back to Moorabbin

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I may be a bit light on for JB updates over the next month as I'm off to the States for a holiday. I'm sure you'll all be able to keep up with his progress without my weekly updates. :D

Jack had another good game yesterday in our fantastic win over the Hawks but lets talk about the elephant in the room first, his kicking for goal.

This year he has kicked 2.9 which is not good enough but I don't think his three misses yesterday were as bad as they look on paper. I haven't seen any on replay so happy to be corrected.

One was a 50-50 snap
One was 40-45m out 5m in from the boundary on the wrong side for a left-footer
One was similar distance out but on a better angle and on the correct side for a left-footer

He should have got that last one the other two would have been a bonus IMO. I know, he didn't get any of them. Hopefully one day soon he will get all three.

Looking at the highlights Jack was directly involved in four great pieces of play.

Q1 11.00 to go: Bounce on the wing (miscalled as Sinclair in the commentary) then a long left bullet to Roo. Roo dropped the mark ! but recovered the ball and kicked the goal

Q1 3.56 to go: Ran 10-15m to get to Frawley, stuck a great tackle and won a HTB free

Q2 17.03 to go: Ran onto a handball out in front of him from Joey and rode the bump from Gibson to then deliver to Roo who then kicked his 700th goal.

Q4 8.50 to go: Handballed over the top to Josh Bruce who ran into the square for a certain goal*

Raw stats: 11 Kicks, 9 Handballs, 4 Tackles, 1 1%er, 2 Clearances, 0 Clangers, 6 I50s, 0 Goals, 3 Behinds, 75% DE from 84% Time on Ground

* Josh may have hit the post trying to roost a big torp all the way back to Moorabbin

Not only did Josh hit the post he hit the middle of the post lol. Even Jack Daniels would have kicked that goal.....or maybe not , lol.

It's amazing that his kicking for goal has been so bad. Remember that intra club game from last year when he kicked that amazing goal from the boundary , on the wrong side for a left footer with the wind pushing it away from the goal and the umpire didn't move as it went over his head. I thought he was going to kick a lot but he even struggled last year too if I remember correctly. But he does take shots from hard angles, maybe he would be better centering the ball.

He does seem to miss a lot of what should be simple ones for him. Maybe he relaxes too much or something.

I remember him being called as Sinclair wrongly , I mean one is left foot and the other is right foot. I don't blame the caller making a mistake but somebody should point it out but they just pretend it didn't happen. If they don't say anything then maybe we won't notice but fans do notice because we know our players .

Gibson lined him up to flatten him but he rode it so well Gibson ended up falling over , was brilliantly done by Billings.

Good write up dct66 .

Sent via HAL

I may be a bit light on for JB updates over the next month as I'm off to the States for a holiday. I'm sure you'll all be able to keep up with his progress without my weekly updates. :D

Have a good trip mate.

Sent via HAL

Not only did Josh hit the post he hit the middle of the post lol. Even Jack Daniels would have kicked that goal.....or maybe not , lol.

It's amazing that his kicking for goal has been so bad. Remember that intra club game from last year when he kicked that amazing goal from the boundary , on the wrong side for a left footer with the wind pushing it away from the goal and the umpire didn't move as it went over his head. I thought he was going to kick a lot but he even struggled last year too if I remember correctly. But he does take shots from hard angles, maybe he would be better centering the ball.

He does seem to miss a lot of what should be simple ones for him. Maybe he relaxes too much or something.

I remember him being called as Sinclair wrongly , I mean one is left foot and the other is right foot. I don't blame the caller making a mistake but somebody should point it out but they just pretend it didn't happen. If they don't say anything then maybe we won't notice but fans do notice because we know our players .

Gibson lined him up to flatten him but he rode it so well Gibson ended up falling over , was brilliantly done by Billings.

Good write up dct66 .

Sent via HAL

Thanks Brains Trust66! Jack will come good with his goal kicking, he's too skilful not to. And don't quote me but doesn't Sinclair were blue boots and Billings wears green. The thing is, as has been mentioned elsewhere, no-one corrects the caller. They guess at a player name and the others in the commentary box just go along with it even though some of them must know they've just called the wrong name.

A great win by the Saints over the Giants by 23 points over running the Giants in the last term. Billings was one of the best on ground kicking 2 goals 3 behinds and having 22 disposals helping keep the Saints in the game especially early on. He also showed his strength with 6 great tackles . His kicking around the ground was as good as we have seen all year.

14 kicks , 8 handballs and 6 marks doesn't do him justice for the skill he showed .

For once the Saints won a big game with quiet performances by Roo and Joey , it was their young mids and strong defence that won them the game.

Sent via HAL

A great win by the Saints over the Giants by 23 points over running the Giants in the last term. Billings was one of the best on ground kicking 2 goals 3 behinds and having 22 disposals helping keep the Saints in the game especially early on. He also showed his strength with 6 great tackles . His kicking around the ground was as good as we have seen all year.

14 kicks , 8 handballs and 6 marks doesn't do him justice for the skill he showed .

For once the Saints won a big game with quiet performances by Roo and Joey , it was their young mids and strong defence that won them the game.

Sent via HAL

Thanks Brains Trust66! I take it my boy played OK this week. :D

Date 12/05/2017

Jack Billings to play 50th game this weekend . I thought he had been around longer than that but it just shows how much attention Jack gets . He's a smooth player to watch , he's just all class. This season he is starting to show his talent on a more consistent pace. The only thing that has held him back from really staring has been his average kicking at goal. If he gets his goal kicking straight a lot more people will notice his great talent. He is improving though. Last week he kicked 2 goals and 3 behinds . However 1 behind hit the post and another behind was a snap on his right foot that just missed so it could have easily been 4 goals 1 behind . He also ran into an open goal but couldn't gather the ball like he usual does and then missed the ball as he attempted to kick it off the ground. Wright who was running along side snapped it through. So if the ball had bounced kindly like it does when you are in top form and everything seems to go your way , he could have quite easily had 5 goals which really what he deserved for a great game against the Giants .

Now he has to back up two good games in a row by performing possible against one of this seasons best defenders Docherty from the Blues . It will be a big test because Docherty , as well as defending well , has been rebounding very well also . So Billings will have to be at the top of his game both attacking and defending.

The game is a traditional Saturday game at 2:10 in the afternoon like they all used to be .

Sent via HAL

Last edited:
Five goals straight! Significantly pleasing. Jack has been very, very good in the two games I've missed and the good news is I'll be still in the US for the next two. Maybe Jack or the Saints should pay for me to stay away longer!!!! :eek:

Celebrating Billings 50 games

https://shar.es/1FSCFH

Game Breaker , Billings star of the day

https://shar.es/1FSYbN

Billings interviewed in the rooms after the game.
https://shar.es/1FSYxN

Richo talking about Billings.
https://shar.es/1FSlp1

Billings starred in his 50th game playing probably his best ever game for the Saints willing them over the line . He had 30 disposals, 19 kicks and 11 hand passes, took 12 marks , a couple of tackles and of course kicked straight to kick 5 goals. This is his break out year for sure , three great games in a row , just getting better and better.

Sent via HAL

Last edited:
Five goals straight! Significantly pleasing. Jack has been very, very good in the two games I've missed and the good news is I'll be still in the US for the next two. Maybe Jack or the Saints should pay for me to stay away longer!!!! :eek:

Just updated your site , stay over there till after the Grand Final please , lol.

Sent via HAL

Remove this Banner Ad

Back