Delisted Jack Newnes

Remove this Banner Ad

Last night;

Unfortunately for Jack, poor disposal efficiency (57%) let him down for what could have been a very good 50th game with 26 disposals.

It also seems his willingness to tackle has dropped off (only 1 v Coll) with, perhaps, his 5x FA vs GWS in rd 1, playing on his mind(?).

A real positive is, as a wingman/midfielder, he is showing he can find space and link up with play, evidence being his 8 marks last night (also 12 v GCS in rd2).

He's a determined kid who wants to do well, I'm sure he'll be keen to do well in the Anzac day match in NZ next round.

This year;

JN rd3 v 2014.PNG
Positives;

- disposals have increased
- marks are up
- clearances up (mostly rd 1 v GWS)

Negatives;

- frees against
- disposal efficiency is down (only 1 game at Etihad Stadium thus far - 92.9% btw)
- clangers have doubled

It's hard to tell with only a 3 game sample at this stage, but I'm sure Jack would be aware of these stats in some form.

He's a hard working player, with a bit more polish to his game, will see the results & respect come from wider football public.

Interesting stat from a Supercoach perspective for 2014;

playing at Etihad - ave 85.9
away from Etihad - ave 75.5

Just keep working hard Jack, very bullish about your prospects

Saturday vs Carlton & a new role for Jack - run with Murphy.

I didn't expect this and am sure that it was part of his learning how to cover the ground as a midfielder by running with one that does.

Didn't really dampen Murphy's effectiveness overall, but will add to his learning.

Back to Etihad this week.

Interesting to go 'un-noticed' in a close game of football, yet still have solid stats;

21 disposals (11k, 10hb)
7 marks
2 tackles
85% disposal efficiency

Jack still getting used to running through the midfield and will be better for the run.

A 'little bit' quieter, but still solid, on the stats sheet for Newnes from Saturday afternoons great win v WBulldogs;

17 disp (19 - 2015 ave)
6k (10)
11hb (9)
82% Disp Eff.
4m (6)
6t (3.5)
3x 1%ers
73 AF pts
(75)
87 SC pts (75)

Jack still finding his feet (for want of a better term) in the midfield, compared to playing majority of last year off half-back.

Just needs to find a way to get into the play more frequently IMO.

One thing I've noticed this year is that he does have stints where he goes missing for an extended period of time. This could be due to rotations, but with greater experience in midfield, will consistently be able to impact the game.

His performances though, for 2015 overall, are building as we progress, just like his SC ave.

I thought at times he found it hard to keep being attacking and taking risks, compared to some others. This may have something to do with playing more games and playing in more losses than others, so habits will be harder to break.

Newnes v Ade;

23 disposals (11k, 12hb)
6 cont possessions
73.9% DE
7 marks
5 tackles
5 1%ers
1 goal 2 behinds
95 SC pts
103 AF pts

Best game for Jack of this year, would have been better if he'd converted those 2 behinds into goals, considering state of game.

--/--/--/--/--

Selection of quotes regarding Jack from 'V Crows Review' thread;

Newnes probably had his best game for a couple of weeks. Missed a couple of easy easy shots though which would've disappointed him.

I thought Bruce once again was a massive positive, as well as Newnes, who probably had his best game for the year so far.

Jack Newnes Solid, but needs to nail the goals.

Newnes criticism is weird.

22 years old. 54 games.

Averages 20 disposals, tackles well and goes at over 70% by foot.

My only fault on the bloke is he's a bit clumsy at times and gives away cheap free kicks.

he's a good honest soldier in a pretty bad team. doesnt look out of place, i just dont know what his position will be when this team is absolutely firing on all cylinders

like i look at dunstan i see inside mid. i look at lonie i see small fwd. i look at billings i see flanker who can play midfield. i look at webster i see hbf who can push up. i look at mckenzie i see genuine winger. i dont know where newnes ideally plays, he's not the greatest defender/half back flanker, he's not a tagger, he's not an inside mid and i dont think he's damaging enough on the outside

happy to be wrong and the only one. just find it confusing right now

I think it's what he's expecting from himself.

Just needs to chill.

Agree - good game yesterday.

As for what he becomes positions are becoming less important. See him as a rolling HBF/winger with stints in the middle. He has enough tricks that he'll be able to play a few spots

I have actually, actually it's a bit of both as I've watched him too.

Really intense young man and very mature, and all his peers always get him to talk, to do the public speaking. He is "better at it" see.

Just my observation, I think he needs to relax, all that other stuff will come.

It's a strange time to criticise Newnes IMO. I thought he definitely had his best game for the year so far, and I didn't think he butchered yesterday - in fact he seemed to me more composed than he has been. His hardness at the ball is a real asset (see 7 tackles yesterday), and when his decision making is on he is pretty good user of the ball.

Are you kidding , we blew pick 37 on him. How dare he not have a Browlow by now.

Rd8 v West Coast Eagles;

20 disp (12k, 8hb) @ 80% Disp.Eff
5 marks
1 goal (1st for game)
4x 1%ers (=2nd for Saints)
4x Rebound 50's (=1st for Saints)
92 SC points
(5 bounces in game, most for Saints as well!)

Another solid display by Jack.

Footage of 1st goal of game for Saints;

http://www.saints.com.au/video/2015-05-23/newnes-drills-it-rnd-8

V Bris Lions Rd 9;

24 disposals (18k, 6hb) - great k:hb ratio :thumbsu:
83.3% Disposal Efficiency
6 marks
5x I50's
4x 1%ers
117 SC pts (~101 ave over last 3 games)
89 AF pts

Arguably Newnes' best game for the year, noting he got a vote from one of the coaches in the AFLCA award, and he seems to like it better playing as a def/mid (rather than a pure mid role).

Last edited by a moderator:
rd 10 v Haw;

13 disp (9k, 4h) @69% DE
3 marks
3 tackles
53 SC pts
53 AF pts

Pretty lacklustre game for JN v Hawks, with Weller out, took on a 'run with' role, similar to Carlton game.

Look forward to Weller getting back in & Jack getting back to what he was doing well in past 3-4 weeks off wing & half-back.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

rd11 v Melb

JN stats rd11.PNG

Again, could argue this was Jack's best game for the season, with a solid all-round performance in all stat areas.

Most importantly, his tackle count for the game was the highest it's been for the year - showing the intent that the whole Saints side played with and eventually got the win.

We all seemed to note with 5x FA's v GWS in rd1, Jack's desire to attack the player with the ball had waivered(?) in following weeks, but Sunday laid some pearlers & that desire & intent was back.

I've commented before that I see Jack being our version of James Kelly at the Cats. You'll have your Selwoods, Bartels, Hawkins, Johnsons- style of players who receive the plaudits more often than not. Kelly in the background, happy to go about his game, whilst still being a very good player in his own right.

Sunday was very much a James Kelly style of game from Newnes IMO.

A couple of his kicks to Riewoldt in that game were sublime and its something you just can't teach. One after his chase tackle and another around half back that I can't remember exactly when. Staggers me when I don't see him in some best or future best 22 teams.

rd13 v WBulldogs;

I said last week's game for Jack was probably his best this year - well he's trumped that performance with his effort on Saturday night.

23 disposals (inc. 13 cont possessions)
87% disposal efficiency
8 marks (3 contested)
4 clearances
4 rebound 50's (equal most for St.K)
7 tackles
133 SC pts
114 AF/DT pts

Seemed to be another game where he was always involved in some way - highlights for me included his last minute desperate acts to put pressure on a Bulldogs player just about to kick, which I reckon he would have had 6 of these efforts easily.

Great all-round game from 'Pops' Newnes - something which I believe opposition supporters are starting to appreciate how important & valuable a player he is to the Saints.

Also, Easton Wood will get 10 votes from the coaches in the MVP, reckon Newnes will get 8.

Also, Easton Wood will get 10 votes from the coaches in the MVP, reckon Newnes will get 8.

Which hasn't gone unrecognised in the coaches' votes (nor did Geary's job):
10 Easton Wood (WB)
7 Robert Murphy (WB)
4 Sean Dempster (StK)
3 Leigh Montagna (StK)
2 Matthew Boyd (WB)
2 Jack Newnes (StK)
1 Jarryn Geary (StK)
1 Nick Riewoldt (StK)

:oops:

There is no doubt that when Mav Weller plays Jack Newnes seems to have a greater impact on the game. His running power is now bordering on elite levels and I thought he made Stanton (who is a topline runner himself) look pedestrian on the weekend. My favorite quality of Jack's is his hard nosed toughness. You just know that he is going to crack in physically, especially in the tackle. Early this year Jack would have been amongst the most penalised players in the team due to roughness in his tackle technique, but it looks like AR and his team have been working on that because he seems to be much tidier in that area. He is certainly the best exponent of the front on in your face full body slam wrap up tackle in the club. :D

Newnes has turned out to be a real diamond in his draft. If he continues to find improvement within himself he has the capacity to become Hodge like in my opinion.

Another solid performance from Jack, certainly rewarding those who hung onto him in SuperCoach!

Just about the only thing that's gone right for me this year!

Rd 14 v Ess - 105 SC pts.

Ranked 12th for overall total points for defenders in SC this year (19th by ave - 88.3).

(remove his 2x 'run with' game scores v Carl & Haw - gives SC ave of 94.1)

Current 3 week SC ave of 113.7 (4th best defender overall ATM)

Current 5 week SC ave of 102.2.

Been a good patch of games for Jack in the middle part of the year.

Rd16 v Rich - 'quieter' game from Jack, when compared to his last 4-6 weeks.

Only the 4 marks (v 6.3 ave for 2015) was probably most noticeable for mine.

The good thing is that when you can get 20 disposals (8k, 12hb) & still go un-noticed, somewhat.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back