Past Jackson Thurlow - delisted 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

rsRxzpgO.jpg

Jackson Thurlow

Player Profile

The Sydney Swans traded Jackson Thurlow from the Geelong Cats ahead of season 2019 and the Tasmanian has since shown promising signs, impressing with his intercept-marking and one-on-one defending. The fleet-footed backman played eight of the first 10 AFL games of the 2019 season but added just one more appearance over the remainder of the campaign, so he’s hungry to cement a spot in Sydney’s best team in 2020. The 2019 retirement of champion defenders Jarrad McVeigh, Heath Grundy and Nick Smith has freed up room in the backline as names like Thurlow, Colin O’Riordan and Ryley Stoddart push for more games at the top level. Draft history: 2012 AFL National Draft selection (Geelong), No. 16 overall.

Jackson Thurlow

DOB: 28 March 1994
DEBUT: 2013
DRAFT: 2012
RECRUITED FROM: Launceston (Tas)/Geelong

Last edited:

The reason we got him tells me he will be best 22 next year. But I have no idea who goes out for him if all are fit.

Well that's it right there. Last year we knew exactly who would come out as soon as a regular best 22 player was back from injury, meaning we went with the tried & proven senior players perhaps not providing good pressure for senior spots.
The better quality depth we have the better all our senior players will play.

Well that's it right there. Last year we knew exactly who would come out as soon as a regular best 22 player was back from injury, meaning we went with the tried & proven senior players perhaps not providing good pressure for senior spots.
The better quality depth we have the better all our senior players will play.

That’s fine in theory but it only works in practice if Horse starts dropping the Jacks and McVeighs and Grundys of the world. Can you actually see Horse doing that? Otherwise a few kids will have to make way, a) none of whom deserve to besides maybe McCartin who is not entirely ready, and b) that achieves nothing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I like this... Def more than had we gone Langdon anyway.

Injury has halted his career... so he should fit right in :p

Good age. Good size. Pretty quick. Remember thinking he had a few good moments this year & seems to be the kind of player we could use coming out of defence IMO.

Looking forward to seeing him kit up & show us what he's got.

That’s fine in theory but it only works in practice if Horse starts dropping the Jacks and McVeighs and Grundys of the world. Can you actually see Horse doing that? Otherwise a few kids will have to make way, a) none of whom deserve to besides maybe McCartin who is not entirely ready, and b) that achieves nothing.
McCartin wasn’t ready, yet he played...Florent and Hayward being fasttracked last year through necessity were the same. It did them no harm and I doubt it’ll do Tom any harm either.

McCartin wasn’t ready, yet he played...Florent and Hayward being fasttracked last year through necessity were the same. It did them no harm and I doubt it’ll do Tom any harm either.
What's your thoughts on Thurlow Mick? You seem well versed in the Geelong players strengths/weaknesses.

What's your thoughts on Thurlow Mick? You seem well versed in the Geelong players strengths/weaknesses.

On the contrary Kap, I only know Cookie and Enright. My son is mates with Parfitt and most likely a couple of others through association. TBH, I’ve never had any conversations with anyone about him, but I think he goes ok and always seems to find himself in good positions on KP.

Edit: I answered that in consideration of knowing Geelong players AND strengths & weaknesses.

His knee history and ability to get on the park to me makes the pickup somewhat iffy. We should not be bringing in players whose bodies are not getting them through seasons

Quick stat analysis

He's basically within a few percentage points of both Callum Mills and Zak Jones (if the idea is to replace them on the hbf).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back